cracker box - is born

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Benj269

Re: cracker box - is born

Postby Benj269 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:02 am

slug wrote:Think that may be tape that he stapled through.
Doug

That makes more sense. If you zoom in they kind of look like shoelaces.

andycap

Postby andycap » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:32 am

Yes you are correct, those are laces that I stapled through using an air T-50. Makes it easier to remove the steel staples without damaging the surface of my Mahogany boards.

Those boards where installed dry in order for me to plan/take measurements and to scribe my board at the chine/bow area.
This in preparation for my glue down using raptor staples and west system epoxy.

When I laminate I always cover both surfaces with epoxy then screed one side with a mixture of epoxy and adhesive fillers using a 1/8" v-notch trowel. I use a foam roller to spread my epoxy, its faster and I get more even coverage.

andycap

Postby andycap » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 pm

progress as of March 5, 2017 - sanding... and sanding some more... lines are looking very nice

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Andy, your boat is really looking good. What are you thinking in terms of paint and stain colour?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:50 am

Andy,
Your boat is looking awesome. I think I have finally settled on the same boat. I will be purchasing plans this coming week. I also have access to a CNC machine and am pumped you did the same. Looking forward to your progress.
Thanks,
Tim

andycap

Postby andycap » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 am

Ibrew2be wrote:Andy, your boat is really looking good. What are you thinking in terms of paint and stain colour?

Barry

Tks Barry

I haven't made any final decisions regarding staining or not.
I will most likely keep the finish clear, the mahogany is already quite dark when epoxies.
As for the bottom paint the colour possibilities are numerous... undecided, thinking I will know a bit more once I make my final decision for the interior color choice for the seat and side padding.

... by the way I am still sanding

Andre

andycap

Postby andycap » Thu May 18, 2017 6:48 am

Toopilot wrote:Andy,
Your boat is looking awesome. I think I have finally settled on the same boat. I will be purchasing plans this coming week. I also have access to a CNC machine and am pumped you did the same. Looking forward to your progress.
Thanks,
Tim

Tks Tim

Awesome to have another crackerbox build.
I am always amazed to see the work on this forum of other boats, the level of craftsmanship coming from people of all kinds of disciplines blows me away.
Enjoy the ride, for me it's a retirement project with no delivery date... fun fun

Feel free to pick my brain. I am not a professional boat builder but my skills and background definitely help.

Andre

skidd

Postby skidd » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 am

Hello Andre. My name is Steve and I too am building a cracker box. (my first time ever building a boat). Yours looks beautiful by the way. I have most of the frame work done and am getting ready for the bottom sheeting. How much of the stem and chine did you need to fair in order to get the plywood to fit properly? When I stand back and look at mine I cant see how you can bend the wood enough to get a smooth rounded bow. I will try to get some pics later. Thanks.

andycap

Postby andycap » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 am

skidd wrote:Hello Andre. My name is Steve and I too am building a cracker box. (my first time ever building a boat). Yours looks beautiful by the way. I have most of the frame work done and am getting ready for the bottom sheeting. How much of the stem and chine did you need to fair in order to get the plywood to fit properly? When I stand back and look at mine I cant see how you can bend the wood enough to get a smooth rounded bow. I will try to get some pics later. Thanks.

Hi Steve... you will surely enjoy the journey. My build started after I retired; I have done most of the work alone so far except for when a third and fourth hand was needed.
Tks for the generous compliment; your boat will undoubtedly be a beaut as well, just take your time and think it through, do your research and read lots on other builds, cause it sure has helped me see things diffently at times or even solutions to difficult situations. if I remember correctly I laminated three 1/2" pieces for my chine log and gave myself enough material at the transom end to trim after. (dry fit your material as shown on page 2 - as mentioned on the forum page, I moved my frame to my own garage at this point - no epoxy was used yet)
- read up on the " fairing process" cause this is a critical part in having your ply lay properly / solidly against the supporting members and not the actual frames
Hope this helps you Steve.

North

Postby North » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:10 am

Just a quick note to say the boat looks awesome so far - can't wait to see it as you progress further.
Darrell

andycap

Postby andycap » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:50 pm

North wrote:Just a quick note to say the boat looks awesome so far - can't wait to see it as you progress further.
Darrell

I do appreciate the kind words Darrel... tks

I see your keeping yourself busy as well, one step at a time... I say...

I myself, take baby steps; i will get there; the water that is !!!

Cheers Sir

Return to “Power Boats”