cracker box - is born

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jeffh

Re: cracker box - is born

Postby jeffh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 am

That is looking very nice and so neat!
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:11 am

andycap wrote:Thanks Fergal

I was checking out your pics on photobuckets... your getting real close... love your foot pedal...

When will you be putting her in the water... you are very close to the water now!!!

The month of march was the worst on record so I'm a bit behind also with the kids off school for Easter I have nothing done but I did get out for a spin in the Malahini yesterday :D so hopeful it's a sign of the weather changing. I'm going to reglass the sides as I'm not happy with some cloudy patches caused by dampness in the air,this time I going to try peel ply to see if that helps.

andycap

Postby andycap » Wed May 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Chine is complete and working on epoxying sheer in place... almost finished the "cracker box" skeleton

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Wed May 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Looking good, after all the baby steps she will move along a lot faster now when you lay down the plywood, then you will really see the shape of things to come :D

andycap

Postby andycap » Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Just cant wait to lay that plywood down.

I'm playing catch-up with you Fergal

andycap

Postby andycap » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:24 am

I am back on duty... back to the task of boat building, after spending my summer enjoying my 63 F100 unibody, the beautiful weather... etc

Just picked up 7 sheets of 1/4" - 5 ply certified marine mahogany before the snow flies...

Today will do a final shop cleanup before cracking the whip on this fun project...

andycap

Postby andycap » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:39 am

completed the installation of the last pieces for the shear logs - a total of three laminations... this was done in early spring and basically haven't done much since...

[imgImage][/img]

andycap

Postby andycap » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 am

Here's a few pics of my rebuilt 302 marine engine and tranny... just a few pieces remaining before buttoning it up and breaking it in

slug

Postby slug » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:23 am

Looking good. Looks like your engine is almost at the same stage my 351 Ford is at, but the 302 has more readily available dress up stuff at reasonable cost...similar to the Chevy engines.
Sometimes I wish I had gone for the Cackerbox also...I think there is less difficulty working the deck/side joints.
Keep up the good work.

Doug

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:18 am

Very nice :D

andycap

Postby andycap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm back with some new pics

- added a second breasthook at the chine location

- added reinforcing pieces to sheer log at transom

- frame was flipped and setup on craddles so that I could fair the sheer log, I wasn't keen to planing either on my knees or on my back. It has now been flipped bottom up, with the height of the supports increase by 12" (more comfortable to work at this height)

- drivetrain mockup is complete, engine CG 8 inch forward of boat CB bringing me between frames 2 and 3 instead of the between frame 3 and 4 as is shown on the plans... the original plans do not give a CB location. Was lucky to have Mr. Hotrod helping me with the numbers, he ran the hull numbers through his software. A huge thanks to Paul, he is basically just around the corner (15min drive) from my place; such a wealth of information.

- installed 3/16" aluminum cinch plates at the engine location, that is on each side of both motor stringers.

- I reinforced the transom to motor stringer connection with 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4" aluminum angle, I need this for increased strength, cause I will be installing an outboard rudder bracket.The use of this bracket is the solution since the engine is placed as far back as possible. And yes I am still 8" to far forward. I will indeed add cavitation plates to correct any performance and handling issues that might arrise from the cb and cg not being alligned. This resulted in my adding another 3/4" of material (white oak)to the bottom side of my transom frame, this will give me more strength and lumber thickness for the required bolts that will be needed for the cav. plates.

- first 1/4" plywood layer is on, I still have some trimming and final fitment to do on one bottom piece at the bow. the next step will be to glue and screw it down (of course I mean west system epoxy and silicon bronze screws)
Last edited by andycap on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

andycap

Postby andycap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:39 pm

]url=http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/63uni/media/boat%20jan_2014/IMG_0631.jpg.html]Image[/url]

second breasthook at chine
Last edited by andycap on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andycap

Postby andycap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:44 pm

- unfortunately I did not take any pics of the engine/ shaft / strut setup on mockup (had it all apart when I thought of taking a pic)

- prepping to flip the frame, as you can see some of the craddle segments being built
Last edited by andycap on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andycap

Postby andycap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:58 pm

A look at boat in upright position, sitting on temp. craddles, while I work on fairing the sheer log

andycap

Postby andycap » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:54 pm

It's starting to look like a boat, but all the work is on the other side

Yes I wet the plywood overnight with hot wet towels to help bending the ply at transom and at the stem, a lot easier and less chance of damaging the integrity of the ply.

Return to “Power Boats”