Opening size in shop needed for Monaco or Riviera build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

sscobra

Opening size in shop needed for Monaco or Riviera build

Post by sscobra »

I am thinking of building either the Monaco or Riviera someday. I don't have a spot to build it yet but it is in the works. I am expanding my shop to provide the space needed. Before I start building it I wanted to find out the opening needed to be able to pull it out on a trailer from the shop. I don't want to be the one who built it in the basement and figured a way to get it out! I know the boats are 6' 7" wide and have a hull depth at midship of 33". Can anyone give me the height from the ground to the top of the windshield, sitting on the trailer, and the maximum width of a typical trailer for this boat? My plan is to build the end wall of my shop with two doors (full wall thickness) that I can insulate and open when needed to remove the boat and ventilate the shop when doing the epoxy work. I don't want to use a garage door since I don't want to compromise the working height of the shop. My shop is fully insulated so I can heat or cool it as needed when I work. I haven't fully thought out the doors yet, but need the opening dimensions before I can do so. Thanks for any help. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Opening size in shop needed for Monaco or Riviera build

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Welcome.

Typically the rear bunks on a trailer are 24" off the ground. Top of windshield will be about 5'-6" off the ground on the trailer. You'll need at least 3 feet around the boat during construction, unless you do a movable form and can take it outside.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks Bill. Will an 8' opening be wide enough to pull the boat out on the trailer? Skip

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Most trailers now are 8'-6" wide. Most garage doors are 9'-0" wide.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks again Bill! Looks like I will be building in a 9' opening. Thanks. Skip

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

Henry Ford and some buddies built a little car in his Brick Garage.
Oooops, :oops: they had to break a lot of the bricks away from the front opening to get that little car out.

Return to “Power Boats”