SEA KNIGHT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Craig Aho

Re: SEA KNIGHT

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Thank you Darth for the compliment. Hopefully it won't fall apart when I turn it over. I am ready to turn and am just waiting for some extra hands. These photos show how much of a grade I am working on. I noticed that the hull looks longer now that it can be seen fully out of the tent. I plan to turn it and set it up again in the same spot and then move the tent back over to keep the weather off as much as possible. Still lots of mold insie the hull to clean up. The sides are only primered at this point, the bottom has the finish paint applied.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01028.JPG
DSC01027.JPG

Craig Aho

Re: SEA KNIGHT Roll Over

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

Well I just couldn't stand it and talked my wife and daughter into helping me turn it over, It was pretty easy and I did most of the lifting. I also was able with my wife's help move it back into position and blocked it up to level again using my homemade stands and a floor jack. I have a few issues with the port side chine glue joint separated mostly in the cabin area. If I can put some glue in and squeeze with some clamps I will proceed that way otherwise I will mix up some epoxy and wood flour to a putty and just fill any voids and allow the deck sheeting to tie everything together. I don't see any major problems though and one thing I remember from my carpenter apprenticeship 30 yrs ago was what makes a craftsman is how you work through the problems with imperfect materials to produce a pleasing end result. Anyway Now the real fun begins for me, I will see how much money and time I have to invest in my project before the rain and cold set in again in the fall.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01034.JPG
DSC01033.JPG
DSC01031.JPG

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 am

congrats! that is alwasy such a great milestone in the build!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Machias

Postby Machias » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:33 am

Great looking boat! What part of WA state are you in? I just moved from Cheney, WA to Stafford, VA......can't wait to move back out west! :)
Fred

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Hello Fred, I live about 20 miles north of Seattle in Mountlake Terrace. If your in the area sometime your welcome to stop by for coffee and project visit.

Craig

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Congratulations Craig,

Getting to the point of flipping the hull is a cool milestone to reach. When you get to turn the boat over and see what it actually looks like as a boat, it has to be very satisfying.

I look forward to seeing more progress on your boat. The Sea Knight is very similar to the Vera Cruise that I am building so watching your build is like watching a smaller version of my boat go together. I'm about a year away from the flip although it's possible I can get there sooner. In the meantime, I'll continue to pay attention to your build and watch the "Baby Vera Cruise" come to life. :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Machias

Postby Machias » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Craig Aho wrote:Hello Fred, I live about 20 miles north of Seattle in Mountlake Terrace. If your in the area sometime your welcome to stop by for coffee and project visit.

Craig

Thanks, that's a very nice offer. You live in a very pretty part of the state. Can't wait to move back to the NW. Thanks for sharing your build with us.
Fred

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 pm

I just wanted to mention that anybody interested in building the Sea Knight should find the original Popular Mechanics issues (I bought mine on Ebay). They are a real help due to the plans have color contrast and much crisper images than my actual Glen-L Plans which are much larger images but faint and harder to read. Maybe that is only the case with my set of plans and they are usable but I am very thankful to have the color images of the old magazines. They both compliment each other.

Craig

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 am

Craig Aho wrote:I just wanted to mention that anybody interested in building the Sea Knight should find the original Popular Mechanics issues (I bought mine on Ebay). They are a real help due to the plans have color contrast and much crisper images than my actual Glen-L Plans which are much larger images but faint and harder to read. Maybe that is only the case with my set of plans and they are usable but I am very thankful to have the color images of the old magazines. They both compliment each other.

Craig

I wonder if the Vera Cruise was ever in Popular Mechanics, hmmmmm.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 pm

I have been working on the deck structures this week. I ended up making my carlings in two pieces instead of the preferred 1 piece. I have some cleaning up to do on them but hopefully they are acceptable. The clutter in the boat are a few timbers to stand on.
Attachments
DSC01048.JPG

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Coming along quickly Craig. Nice work so far.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

AOCUSN

Postby AOCUSN » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Craig Aho wrote:I just wanted to mention that anybody interested in building the Sea Knight should find the original Popular Mechanics issues (I bought mine on Ebay). They are a real help due to the plans have color contrast and much crisper images than my actual Glen-L Plans which are much larger images but faint and harder to read. Maybe that is only the case with my set of plans and they are usable but I am very thankful to have the color images of the old magazines. They both compliment each other.

Craig

Sounds like a good idea to have the original magazines as a reference. How many issues covered the build?

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm

there are 4 issues May through August of 1957. I have relied heavily on the June and July issues. When I first started the project those were all I had but I realized I was in need of the full size plans and I even bought the full size patterns pack. I am glad that I have all those resources and the forum community as well.

Craig

AOCUSN

Postby AOCUSN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I just picked all 4 up off of E-Bay. I figured that it would be helpful as well. Also it was cheaper than buying the full set and then realizing that this wasn't the boat that I wanted to build after all. I was wondering why Glen-L doesn't offer a set of study plans for this particular boat. Thanks again for the information.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 am

I am nearly ready to install the forward deck and side deck areas. The plans call for 3/8" ply but I keep thinking I would like to do some kind of planking on the deck. I do not know much at all about how to accomplish this but am wondering if I could say go with 1/4" ply with 1/8" to 1/4" X 1" ? strips glued (laminated) to the ply. That would retain the strength I think? and not add to much weight or deck thickness? Can anybody provide feedback on this? Thanks

Craig

Return to “Power Boats”