SEA KNIGHT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Craig Aho

Re: SEA KNIGHT

Postby Craig Aho » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Matt, Ive tried turning off the router and using different computers and browsers but they all seem to have the same effect. I started trying the forum early morning and must of checked a dozen time during the day but last night and tonight around 5pm I am able to access. a co worker today said that Comcast uses a dynamic IP which means it is changing through some range of IP's during the day which may explain why I have access at times. Don't understand computers at all really. Anyway I still have lots of small details to work on with my Sea Knight. What kind of motor and HP are you planing on your Geronimo?

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:51 pm

:D Craig ;you sure have a nice looking boat!I have a little problem with my ip sometimes too,but what can you expect-its satellite(if theres a cloud between Canada and Dallas,its slow.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:56 am

Craig, the max recommended in the plans is 90, although the website says 100. I think the sea knight is similar but im not sure. Bob Maskel has a 100 on his. I think I will go with 90 especially since I have stretched mine a foot. That should help balance out a little heavier motor. As far as brand I'm not sure. I have a mercury four stroke on my Jon boat that just sips fuel. They have really been working on making the current models lighter. Other options to save weight are Evinrude E-tec or Tohatsu also has an E-tec type motor. I think any brand is OK as long as you take care of it.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:58 am

Matt, I was looking at the Evinrude E-tec and liked the 90hp; I wanted to put as much hp on it as I can. I think at 100hp there was a significant weight gain. Also liked the easier maintenance of a 2cycle.
HOWEVER I have heard that some major lakes in the NW don't allow 2 cycle motors on their waters - e.g., Lake Tahoe. I plan on taking my Geronimo to the NW and British Columbia in the future. And even though the E-tec may be less polluting and environmentally correct, I don't want to drive to a lake and be told "no 2-cycles allowed" and I wouldn't want to have to convince the local authority mine's okay.
By the way we have an issue in CA with "quagga muscles", highly invasive and destructive little creatures that can clog up water pipelines and hitch rides on boat trailers, so a lot of lakes here you have to have a "quagga muscles" inspection just to launch your boat.
I don't know what kind of obstacles one might encounter in environmentally conscious states or Canada if you're an out-of-state boater but I think I'll stick with a 4 cycle. Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:01 pm

The maintenance on four strokes is not bad. A yearly oil change in addition to changing the lower unit grease. Maybe change some spark plugs here and there. My 25 hp Mercury most of the time starts on the first crank even if its been sitting for a while.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I guess the 4 stroke is the safest bet on usability in our lakes etc. I would likely be looking for a used one if my Bearcat doesn't pan out. Some of the mechanics laugh at me when I say I have a 1968 Bearcat Although those who have them seem really satisfied with them even though they are old. It would be nice to have a good reliable motor. I might consider a Honda as well since my Son is finishing up a motorcycle mechanics school in Phoenix and specializing on Honda's stuff, might be nice to have his help if needed.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:28 pm

I completed the installation of my forward hatch with a nice solid brass arm with knurled knob for setting slightly open etc. I did have to add a mounting block on the hatch so the screws wouldn't go thru the top. I have been busy painting and varnishing the various interior areas but have been faced with decisions on what to paint what to varnish etc. still lots to do.
Attachments
DSC01647.JPG
DSC01646.JPG

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Hatch looks great Craig,

I'm still pondering what I'll do with my hatch. It's still a bit in the future so I still have some time.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 pm

Very nice work Craig! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:25 pm

I received my new bow cleat from the UK. It costs 31 English pounds, with shipping it cost me $76 and some change. It has the look I like for the boat. I have it just sitting on the bow so anyone can see how it looks. Don't know if you can see the new front cabin windows since they are nice and scratch free at this point but you can probably see the white beutle tape I am using to bed them with. I machined up the wood trim pieces but still have to varnish them etc. before installation which should hid most of the white tape.
Attachments
DSC01649.JPG
DSC01648.JPG

shep

Postby shep » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Craig. Love your build and touches you are doing to it. Just a comment on the Etech 2 strokes on lakes like Tahoe. They are allowed and will save you a bit of weight. Looking forward to seeing it's completion!

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks John, I noticed you live in Danville, I grew up in Oakland not far from you. Thanks again.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 am

Craig,

That cleat looks very cool!

I assume from the location that it is only intended for ropes and not for lifting. I know the structure in that part of the boat would need reinforcement for lifting.

I am looking at the combination of paint and bright work on your deck and pondering where I want to go with this on my boat. I like the idea of a lighter color to keep the temps down, but I also like the look of a bright finished deck. Yours looks great. The colors compliment the bright work very nicely.

Great job. I know it's going to be a shame to have to stop work as the weather gets chillier.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Craig, I've got basically the same hull with Geronimo - I'm wondering how you decided where to place your bow eye on the stem? Also did you plug or fill those holes on the sheer clamp? Your boat looks great. Bob
Bob

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 pm

Hello Bob, I can't quite remember on the bow eye except probably like I usually do I look at every Sea Knight picture I can find and compare. But I as I visualize it It probably also had something to do with the chine blocking. the threaded rod enters through the stem just above the blocking so I could easily put the nut on etc. I plugged the holes with mahogany bungs trying to align the grain with the sheer grain and sand smooth. I did that on my coamings and toe rail etc. as well. I like the clean look it gave me.

Carl, yes the bow cleat is only for ropes.

Return to “Power Boats”