SEA KNIGHT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BayouBengal

Re: SEA KNIGHT

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 am

Nice work.

Either you're a braver man than I, or your wife and daughter are quite capable. I cringe at the thought of just moving furniture with my wife, I sure wouldn't want to attempt turning a pretty sizable boat hull with her.

The strips laminated to the plywood will work fine and are what most builders do. I'd go with a little thicker (3/16") plank though. To get the planks even, bright decking will require more sanding and fairing than a plywood deck, and you'll want plenty of thickness so you don't have to worry about sanding through. The extra 1/16" of material will have very minimal effect on the weight.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 am

I thought I would post a photo of my progress and mostly I have been working on the cabin interior per the sequence in the written instructions. I also have the deck plywood cut and fitted and ready to glue and nail down which I will be doing today. I had first added some hard points of solid wood for cleat mounting etc. I spent a lot of time climbing in and out of the boat to fit small wood pieces for the cabin floor and cabinets. I couldn't find the details on my plans for the cabin sole so I just added some cleats for support between the frames. One more thing on my build is I added vertical battens and another horizontal frame to support the back of cabin plywood. I decided to keep the cabin dimensions exactly per the plan and allow the extra length I added to the hull to be cockpit space. I can then also use my patterns obtained from Glen-L for the cabin sides etc.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01110.JPG

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:00 am

Moving quickly Craig.

At this rate, you'll be launching by Spring!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks Carl, I am not sure how much more I can get completed before the cold/wet weather sets in again around October 1st. Plus some of the wood such as the mahogany coamings will be very expensive being 7 3/8" at its widest and 14' long on each side that is some expensive pieces. These will be the next major pieces to machine and install as I add the cabin sides etc. I still have plenty to do on the inside such as continued work on the cabin interior and I think I could work on the motor well but I am not sure how wide (fore and aft) to make the well. I'm thinking about 18" and the width athwortships is already set at 33 inches If I remember correctly. I have plenty of clamping area though.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 am

I just wanted to post a few more photos, Making slower progress now since I am doing a bit of thinking about how I want the cabin interior although It is mostly to plan. I think I want to be able to sit at a small table so that is why there is a big cutout in the berth. Still thinking? I did notice one small problem with the berth area, the line distance from the #5 frame to the chine block is not level like it is suppose to be and the distance the berth support there is from the setup level is correct? between frame 4 and 5 is level. Not sure how I want to deal with that minor problem. If you look at the photo of the side view you can see my added lower frame and side battens for my cabin bulkhead. This was to keep the cabin sides and dimensions the same as the original 17' boat length. I will have added cockpit space as a result totaling about 15". by the way the seam on the bow plywood is not straight down the center line I goofed on my first piece and had to cut the other side to compensate.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01113.JPG
DSC01112.JPG
DSC01111.JPG

AOCUSN

Postby AOCUSN » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Good looking build. Can't wait to get started on my own here soon.

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 am

Just another update. I have mostly been working on the interior and it seems to move along slowly. I will probably be working on the outside of the hull with paint and mahogany bumpers rails etc. Not to sure how much more I will complete before the cold wet weather but still working on it along with family activities and house repairs etc. I have made some more templates of some of the mahogany trim and coaming as you can see in one of the photos. I have about half the mahogany I need. I would like to find a cheap trailer so I can move the boat but money is an issue for now.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01150.JPG
DSC01151.JPG
DSC01149.JPG

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:59 am

One more photo
Attachments
DSC01152.JPG

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:27 am

Looking good Craig. Hope you continue to have good weather for awhile so you can continue building.

It gets so hot here during the day that I can only spend an hour or two before taking a break, even with a small portable air conditioner. But I know working in the cold would be worse, especially outdoors. :)
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello Carl, It has been hot hear as well and in that tent the afternoon temps make it a sweatbox so I do most in the AM. The cold temps usually come around Oct. so I still have some time.

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Well I managed to install the lower Aft Bumper Rails today which was quite time consuming and I am a just a bit dissatisfied with the results. I cant afford to throw away 50.00 piece of Mahogany so I will just try to sort out the problems. the problems are with the long side pieces that I just cut out without remembering that they required many angled cuts so once I cut them I was committed. That is the biggest error but there are a few more due to cutting them by Freehand on a band saw. I will post a photo soon. Despite spending many hours working on these and other details on the boat I realize that I tend to move to fast and my details suffer. I am feeling a bit disappointed but do think I will have a sound boat just not a work of art like so many others are capable of on the forum. Other than that I guess I and others like me can be take some satisfaction in creating something with our own efforts.

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Some photos of the lower bumper rails.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01163.JPG
DSC01161.JPG
DSC01160.JPG

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Don't be despondent, I am the same. Your work looks great in the photo's. I tend to spend quite some time with the belt sander getting things right to my eye rather than to a specific line (unless it needs to fit another part). Not sure what you are worried about, but being a painted hull you can fill gaps with thickened epoxy and paint over, and for the outside just sand until you get a nice line to the eye. Use a long straight bit of timber laid along the curve and look for gaps to help guide you.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 am

Hang in there Craig,

You've often commented that you appreciate the work I am doing, but I can tell you that I too tend to get ahead of myself and have to "Fix Things". Just take a look at pictures of my building form in my build thread and you will see that I had to add leg extensions to it in order to get it level. :oops:

I can't tell you how much pleasure and help I get from reading your postings and being able to look over the pictures. I am quite sure that when she is finished, that your boat will stand with the best of them. So keep going and let's see some more pictures!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:05 am

Thank you Carl. I agree with you on the help that comes from the forum.

Craig

Return to “Power Boats”