SEA KNIGHT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

Re: SEA KNIGHT

Post by footer »

Shes looking so good. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of it on the water.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Craig the boat looks fantastic. Glad you chose to stick it out.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I too am glad you've stuck it out Craig. Your Sea Knight is looking awesome. It's been an inspiration to me over the years to see it built as it looks so much like mine will. Looking forward to hearing more as you get it out and test it.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Craig, your boat looks great.

Lee

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho »

Hello everyone, I just recently finished my basic electrical wiring hookups and although there are lots of things that would be nice to add to this build I have only to start the motor and haul it somewhere to see if she floats etc. Still getting pressure from my wife to just sell it and maybe that will eventually happen but it would be nice to see her in the water. I need to go and pay taxes so I can get it registered and also register my trailer along with trying to get my old truck going as well. The motor has not been run since I purchased it so I am not exactly confident that the carbs are not in need of a rebuild and aside from being old I think the motor will run. Anyone have any thoughts on how to best proceed with trying out the motor? and for when I get ready to sell do you think it would be far fetched to think around 4-5K for a selling price?
Attachments
105484663_2824084014579233_6524055323028650832_n.jpg
104935462_1533836380120980_7973395583337984689_n.jpg
105600089_1156344571391853_1698806648812542458_n.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Craig, She is a beautiful boat. I really have no idea about prices, but would think 4 or 5 thou would be reasonable.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho »

Ha Ha I know what you mean Bryan, thanks for the feedback.

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Craig, I agree with Bryan, your boat is beautiful.

In terms of what to do with an older outboard, I think it depends a bit on how much fritzing around you want to do. At the very least, I suggest that you try starting it up in an appropriately sized bucket of water at home before you take it to the launching ramp. In addition, you could consider changing out the spark plugs and changing the oil in the lower unit.

Best of luck!

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Nice looking boat.If the wife is only interested in the amount you could get for the boat ,maybe you could look around for a different one(wife,I mean) :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Craig,

Your boat looks great. My experience in messing with the older motors is they are still worth using for pleasure use. Youll likely have a few teething issues at first with something that needs a little service but I'm sure it can work just fine. I chased some issues with my old 402 Mercury outboard on my Zip and after throwing some parts at it, its been running great for several years. I still keep in touch with the guy that bought it. I had really good luck selling my little Zip for over 10K so dont sell yours short if you do sell it someday.

BillW

Post by BillW »

Definitely change the water pump impeller on an old outboard.
The rubber vanes take on a "set" and may not flex enough to function well. And worse, if the vanes fail, then rubber pieces can lodge up the cooling passages in the block. And, of course, never run a motor or even turn it with the starter, without water. The water is necessary to lubricate the impeller. Very nice looking boat.

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho »

Thank you again guys all great suggestions. I am guilty of turning it over with the starter, didn't think about the possible impeller damage. I did pick up a new one but will have to learn how to replace it. I had replaced all fluid points, cap and rotter etc. I did a compression test and it looked good. I have a large trash can under the leg and just need to fill it with water but the carbs are an area I am thinking could be my problem area. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it soon. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Craig

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Craig,

Instead of using a trash can, I suggest getting some outboard motor ear muffs. I think they are actually called outboard motor flushers but a google search of "outboard motor ear muffs" works. These are easier to use than trying to put an outboard motor in a trash can and keeping it filled with water. You will use the muffs anytime you want to run the gas out of the motor at the end of the season and also anytime you test it at the beginning of the season. They aren't very expensive and the are well worth it.

I have muffs and use them for my outboard boat and my I/O bigger boat.

Lee

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Your boat looks awesome. Hope you get her running and in the water.
Nick

Return to “Power Boats”