SEA KNIGHT

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Craig Aho

Re: SEA KNIGHT

Postby Craig Aho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Over the last few days I have been working on the Toe Rails of African Mahogany and did them in 3 sections for each side. It was tedious to say the least trying to fit them together etc. There not perfect but these photos show the pieces ready to attach to the foredeck. There is a slight crown to the deck so it will be a little challenging to attach but hopefully it will work out and I will post photos after they are completed.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01177.JPG
DSC01176.JPG
DSC01175.JPG

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Craig, the Sea Knight is coming along great. I saw an earlier posting where you said you were originally going to build the Vera Cruise but decided on the Sea Knight because of shop space. I love the design of both of these boats and it's fun to see yours coming together so quickly.

The toe rails look good. Is it possible you could concave the back side a bit to compensate for the crown? I know that can be somewhat risky because you want everything to be the same height on the top side, but it's a thought.

It's too bad you have to knock off soon because of colder temps. How long do you think you can continue?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Craig

Looks great :!: You can stay busy planning the interior and the best use of space. (I know!)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Hello Carl and Bill, yes I had seriously looked at building the Vera Cruz a few years back. I like your idea on relieving the backsides of my pieces, I will think about that a bit. Starting tomorrow we are in for at least a week of rainy weather although the temps are nice right now. I am looking at a used trailer that has a lot of nice features but a fair amount of rust so if I buy that my funds will be depleted for awhile. I feel pretty good about my progress this summer and so I don't mind slowing down for the upcoming winter. I will try to collect some more mahogany and prepare for the spring time and do some projects for the house that I have been neglecting.

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:15 am

Well I did manage to complete a hatch cover for the bow and will add a picture later today along hopefully with my new old trailer. The rain is back to the northwest with a vengeance and the temps are starting to cool down at night so I will likely not make much progress with boat building until next spring. I plan to collect some additional wood during the winter and maybe make a few more parts and will post photos if and as I do.

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm

This is a photo of my bow area and hatch. I probably will refine the hatch further before it is completed. I still haven't found a trailer I can afford but I continue to look.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01180.JPG

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm

I am currently trying to make cabin sides etc. the coamings will be done in two pieces. I am having trouble finding a way to add the slot for the windows due to the curved coamings. I wanted to use my router table but the curved pieces means I have to freehand against a bearing. The bearing I have in not big enough so I will have to freehand on the boat with a regular router when I find a bearing to allow the proper depth of cut. I also want to mention that I cut the top plywood piece a bit short where it meets with the windshield side piece so I have to add a filler piece.
Attachments
DSC01187.JPG
DSC01186.JPG
DSC01182.JPG

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Very nice, Craig. I really like your art.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Very Nice!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:32 am

Last nite I discovered my new Bow Hatch Cover I had off the boat and in my hobby room in the house became a chew toy for my daughters pit bull so now I get to make a new one :( . I had it off to try an inlay on it. Oh well :? Time to put a lock on the door.

Craig

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 am

Hey Craig, sorry to hear about the hatch. But the boat is starting to really come along. It's a shame you'll have to knock off when it starts getting colder. I love the look of the cabin sides though. Makes it start to look like what you bought the plans for in the first place.

I can't wait until I get to that point.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 am

Wow!! About now I would be a petless household.

Roberta :roll:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I finally obtained a used trailer that I think will work out fine. I paid 325.00 for it and it has new tires and is titled and licensed. Very heavy duty for an old trailer. It towed home nicely. And the culprit that enjoyed my new hatch cover.

Craig
Attachments
DSC01190.JPG
DSC01193.JPG
DSC01188.JPG

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 pm

the trailer looks great! nice & wide! I wish I had bought one more like that (possibly where the boat could sit between the wheel base and a little lower to the ground. Nice work!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Old aussie

Postby Old aussie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:27 am

good buy looks solid and well built..

Old Aussie Peter...

Return to “Power Boats”