Arizona Gentry build ?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TUGMYWAY

Arizona Gentry build ?

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Ordered plans today. Can't seem to get this boat plan out of my head. Thanks Neel !!! :lol:

Ok, I know what about the Tug ? Wife said "NO" :cry:

What about the Flying Saucer ? Need to test the 1/4 scale but I think this was more training ? :oops:
She is still in the running. :roll: Think my wife said " what do you need a little boat for? " :roll:

After a Email to Gayle about C-Flex. She didn't like the idea I think ? :cry: I went back and looked at the cold molding system and think I will give it a try!

Here is my general plan.

She will be driven by,-------- a I/O. Many things will need to be done before this is set-in-stone. But the motor will stay up front. How? With a extension system. Its a drive shaft between the motor and the transom system. Transom will need major changes.

Motor will be Small Block Chevy. Something in the 427 Ci. range.

Outdrive will be ------- Alpha SS . This is a outdrive from the late "80's". Its 2 1/2 " shorter that the standard drive. This will help with the short transom. +-

Hull will be a 19' and, well we will see?

Looking forwards to all your help!
Randy

trisailor

Re: Arizona Gentry build ?

Post by trisailor »

Hi Randy-

First question----why I/O, even with a mid-ship engine?

If it maneuverability, yes I agree, straight shafts have their learning curve. My Gentry has done well in tight situations. The backing is done in small doses A little back, strong rudder with a little burp forward, repeat, repeat. Forward steering response at idle is awesome.

Thing to ponder at the design stage........d

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks!
Well,trim control,props,like you said better steering control and best of all . I have it all. :P

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Sorry Randy.... Best of luck with your build. Can't wait to see some pictures. I am with Dean on the I/O. If you already have the motor, maybe you could sell the outdrive and buy an inboard trans. Think it over and please keep us posted....Neel

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks all!

New question ? I live in Glendale AZ. We have 300+ days of sun. 250 days of 100 deg. days.

Will a " WOOD " boat work here?
And,yes its a very "DRY" heat.
Randy

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler »

NO............... You would be better of swapping houses with me and moving to Ireland :lol:

I'm sure there would be no problem if anything the constant good weather might be easier on a boat than weather that changes from one extreme to another.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

No thanks! Too close to the EU ! :lol:

Guess I keep thinking about boats that need to swell up. :roll:

If you get over this way stop by. Well do a beer or two!! Oh, and go Yachting !

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Built this outside area for a wood shop. About 12' x 20', was for the FS,now its back to being a woodshop. Still need to do some cement work but getting closer? :roll: Ok,I need to get some stuff moved.
Under the sheets are a table saw,band saw ,drill press,planer. Just a start but?? WILL NEED MORE TOOLS!!!! :shock:
May need to get a frig. for the Epoxy stuff ? We are on the down side now, was only 105 Deg. today! :lol: This area will get some symple walls to keep eyes out and control things a little ?. The building will need to be in the garage. But it will be close! Only 21 ft. with the door down.

Was thinking , :roll: I will put the transom to the outside and the bow to the inside?.
Attachments
DSC03542.JPG

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

As I weight for the plans (lbs) :lol: And think about the outdrive. I remembered what set me on this path. It was one of the first offshore race boats I ever saw. This maybe why I would like to try the Gentry with a outdrive? I think it is the stern view that is so striking.

And I know, :roll: inboard, inboard, inboard.
Randy
Attachments
16-barrel.jpg

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Now I am in big trouble!!! The plans are here! :shock:
Thanks Gayle! :P

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

the pictured boat has a very deep "v". the Gentry is much shallower than that. Might be a bit of a challenge to hang an I/O on the transom and get the engine low enough.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Yep! Think it was a 23 deg. bottom.

As for the Gentry,will have some drawings soon. The drive shaft will be 12" off the bottom of the Gentry's bottom. This will put about even with the rear seat in the Gentry. Will need a small hump for the safty tube. Would not want to get hit by it! :shock:

Randy

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Now to workout the transom?
This is the std. outdrive and not the SS. The SS is 2 1/2 shorter,so the cav plate is about 1" above the bottom the boat bottom.
Will still build a test transom first !
Here is a little looksee.
Attachments
b1.jpg

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

The other way would be to build a standoff area,about 5 1/2 " total ? Need to look at this some more? Other problem would be getting the power into the motor stringers?
Attachments
B2.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

You do know that we would never recommend moving the motor of a centrally mounted inboard to the stern. You're asking for trouble...

Return to “Power Boats”