Arizona Gentry build ?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TUGMYWAY

Re: Arizona Gentry build ?

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Hello Gayle. I will not be moving the motor. Their will be a drive shaft between the motor and the outdrive. Will need to play with the balance with not having a tran's but adding the out drive. The transom is what will be the biggest problem. I am working on tieing it to the motor stringers. This is a drive system we used on some ski/towner boats.It is called Jackshaft Kit. Merc number is 98634a20. It is used on some of the stagered motor offshore boats.I used it on my Schiada.

Randy

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Gayle if you want to pull this build its ok with me. I don't want to post if it sends the people into thinking they can change things and then go to you because it did not work! This is going to be a boat using some ideas from Glenn and redesigned by me to fit my needs.

Thanks for all your help.
Randy

Lurvio

Post by Lurvio »

Hello

The idea is interesting and common with a jet drive also.

If I were doing this project, I'd set the outdrive as it was in your first sketch and keep the transom vertical both sides of the outdrive. The outdrive itself is inset into the transom. As for getting the thrust of the outdrive to the stringers there are a couple of ideas that pop to mind. The mounting surface could be made from (example) three layers of half inch plywood in a width to fit inside the stringers. This plate should be plenty strong as it gets glued to the stringers and the hull bottom and a cross beam can be used on the top edge to spread the load in there.

Just my 2c worth

cheers
Lurvio

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks for the input Lurvio.

I looked at the steering and other in transom stuff and the standoff would need outside steering. And that would not work for the look.

So a inset transom is the way I will go. I want to keep as much of the look as I can.

Randy

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

TUGMYWAY wrote:Gayle if you want to pull this build its ok with me. I don't want to post if it sends the people into thinking they can change things and then go to you because it did not work! This is going to be a boat using some ideas from Glenn and redesigned by me to fit my needs.
Not a chance! I apologize that I didn't read closely enough to see that it wasn't a stern drive. This sounds like a fascinating idea and we can all learn from it. Hey, I think it would be interesting if you built it out of fiberglass and moved the motor to the stern. You'd either be a great example of what can be done or a horrible warning of what not to do. It's all good!

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Thanks Gayle, but I will live the motor at midships. If I wanted a I/O I would just get a Old Donize.

The C-Flex idea is still their :wink: but will will build with wood. I am getting in enough trouble with others using a outdrive. :roll:

And yes it is all GOOD! :mrgreen:
Randy

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Going to add the 10% +-. I will add 5" to frames 1,2,3,4. Have I got that right? :?

Randy
Last edited by TUGMYWAY on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Started to work out the how for the transom. This is going to be a trick part to build ! :shock: Here are some photos of working with the plan transfer. Carbon paper anyone? :lol:
If you look close you will see a arch. If I can make this arch work, :roll: it will hide the transom assy. ?? Well some of it! 8)

I will still need to build a test Transom. What wood do you guy's think would be best ? The outdrive plate will be plywood/lam but the other? Ideas! Figure if I need to make a test peace, it would be good traning so I need to work with wood that would be about the same, but cost less. :oops:
Attachments
DSC03558.JPG
DSC03557.JPG
DSC03561.JPG

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

So for today,I built the transom blank. This is what I will work from. Also worked with the lower transom boards. Know I do not know ( yet ) if this will work? :shock:
Attachments
DSC03563.JPG
DSC03564.JPG
DSC03565.JPG

Lurvio

Post by Lurvio »

In the second to last picture the transom side piece has a weak point if done that way. You can leave the forward edge straight, it will be a lot stronger.

cheers
Lurvio
Hopefully creating something useful, since 1983.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Lurvio,it may make more sence with the cutout filler. Still working on that? It will be a lam of plywood,will try 1/16" but may need to go down to 1/32" to get the rach/slot it will be about 3/8" thick . Will get to work on the form soon. :oops: Thanks for looking.
Randy

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Randy

A Circle Template! and your drawing! I can sure see you've spent time in a engineering office.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Bill Edmundson wrote:Randy

A Circle Template! and your drawing! I can sure see you've spent time in a engineering office.

Bill
:lol: bill i have them two but never worked in a engineering office but was a drafts man in the Army :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

All props Bill. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing. :roll:
Randy

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Cut out some parts and am trying to work this out! :?
Also found that the transom blank is not picking up the upper board! Need to work on that! :oops:
Randy :wink:
Attachments
DSC03566.JPG
DSC03567.JPG
DSC03568.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”