Garboard drain plugs

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Garboard drain plugs

Post by neel thompson »

I never put drain plugs in my Gentry, and now would like to do so. I am wondering if anyone has put these in through the bottom of the boat near the transom. I would put one on each side of the keel about 5" in from the transom. the square plug would be on the outside of the boat. Would this cause a problem with performance? Looking for advice.....Thanks,,, Neel

billy c

Re: Garboard drain plugs

Post by billy c »

at this point you might think about garboard drain plugs in the lowest point of the bilge instead.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

If you are concerned about the square plug sticking out and interrupting the water flow, you might consider a flush head instead.

as to Billy's concern of mid-ship location. a valid concern, indeed, but a little tougher to get at, while on the trailer. I think easily solved if you just use the trailer jack to raise the front until all the water runs fully aft and out near the transom.

I hit a BIG wake yesterday and took maybe 5 or 6 gallons over the bow and into the engine compartment (I had the main hatch off for some carb adjustments). my aft mounted bilge pumps got almost all of the water out immediately as all the water flowed all the way back while underway. when I got home there was still about a cup of water midships in the bilge. I just cranked up the jack a bit to move the water to the cockpit area, where I popped out my egg-crate floorboards a soaked up the remainder with a towel.

quite easy. I think I'm going to stick with no drain plugs for a while.
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Can you say wet-and-dry Vac? :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I put the flange on the inside and ground the neck to be flesh with the hull. They're NPT threads and the plug stands proud.

I don't have the on the Tahoe. I do use the W/D Vac. But, it's another step at take-out and you have check every time the boat is out in the rain.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

MY God! Bill? Out in the rain! :shock:

In AZ we go out to see it rain. :wink:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tug

That is what a friend of mine said after she moved to Tucson. When it finally did rain she just went out to stand in it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

Good times, Bill! Good times! :mrgreen:

Randy

Return to “Power Boats”