Mahogony Plywood for Deck?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

indyillini

Mahogony Plywood for Deck?

Post by indyillini » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:49 am

I am finally at the point of planking my top deck on the Overniter build. I have a few questions for the experts on here. I have plenty of access to 4/4 mahogony and maple at a local lumber store, but I am not confident that I have the tools to rip the wood to the 1/4 inch width for my planks. The store also has 1/4 in mahogany and maple plywood. Would it look alright to cut my strips from the plywood for my deck? Do you see any issues with proceeding this way? Thanks.

billy c

Re: Mahogony Plywood for Deck?

Post by billy c » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 am

IMO would rather see the solid stock on there so it could be touched up or refinished in the future. usually those mahogany veneers are really thin so better for topsides than a higher wear area like a deck. if the boards are narrow strips you can rip them to width with your tablesaw and then run the narrower boards thru to thickness. can even put the rough resawn side down if needed.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 am

You might see if the supplier can resaw some mahogany to that dimension for you. Northwest lumber did that to 3/8" for my deck material from 4/4 stock. Paid a little more since much was wasted but got two from each board after resaw and planing, didn't have a lot of options.

People have used veneer ply before and it looks good but I don't know how you would ever refinish it without ruining the veneer.

indyillini

Post by indyillini » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks, Northwest Lumber is just a short drive from my house. I will just have them do it.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Cool! When I got mine they had a huge pile of 4/4 that was 16ft long x 14-16" wide planks to start from which they had not had many months before when I was looking for chine and sheer logs. That was great mahogany. The resaw isn't really precise so they could only get close by resawing the 4/4 in half, then plane them to even them out at 3/8". I did my entire deck with two of those 16ft 4/4 boards and 3/8" outta give me decades and decades of refinish capability without much weight penalty.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm

You're lucky Chris. I had to buy 5/4 to get the final 3/8" deck planks.
My hardwood supplier had no resaw capability. I found a place to do it, but they said the blade was 3/16". So, I had them resaw 5/4 and then plane to 3/8".

I think Bill Shaw (ttownshaw) used mahogany plywood. However, due to the thin veneer, you can't do much sanding.

kens

Post by kens » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:04 pm

indyillini wrote:I am finally at the point of planking my top deck on the Overniter build. I have a few questions for the experts on here. I have plenty of access to 4/4 mahogony and maple at a local lumber store, but I am not confident that I have the tools to rip the wood to the 1/4 inch width for my planks. The store also has 1/4 in mahogany and maple plywood. Would it look alright to cut my strips from the plywood for my deck? Do you see any issues with proceeding this way? Thanks.
Why not just lay down the Mahog/Maple decking?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 am

Chris. That was great that you had some one that could get 3/8 material out of 4/4 wood. No one that I have ever had resaw wood could get 3/8 out of 4/4 always 5/4.
Mine waste all went into mulching walk ways here at the lake.
That make the cost a whole lot less.
Jeff

acal100

Post by acal100 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 am

Indy,

I just used plywood for my deck. I had the same concerns you do about resawing, etc. My table saw is nice, but, only a 10incher and a little underpowered to resaw some specific woods. And, by the time I can start resawing so I don't disturb the neighbors, I'm about 7 beers deep. Just kidding, kids.
Attachments
DSCN1347.JPG

Return to “Power Boats”