What the Heck, I'm Coming out of the Closet, too

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BayouBengal

What the Heck, I'm Coming out of the Closet, too

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:20 pm

The boat is a Clarkcraft Mariner hull designed for I/O power. I plan to power it with a Mercruiser 6 cylinder and alpha drive. I modified the hull above the waterline to have a tumblehome transom giving the boat a more classic look. Click here for the YouTube video showing the flip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8FDsvZhVM&feature=youtu.be

Before Flip 01 - Websize.jpg
Full Length View.jpg
Last edited by BayouBengal on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrintense

Re: What the Heck, I'm Coming out of the Closet, too

Postby mrintense » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Jeff,

Very nice. Can you tell me a little bit about the boat. What length, approximate hull weight. I ask because it appears to be about the same size as my Vera Cruise and I see that you managed to flip it with just a handful of people. I've been wondering about how I was going to flip mine when the time comes. Did you put it on a dolly after the flip and how did you get it into the dolly?

Thanks. And again, very nice job so far. I considered this design for awhile but eventually went with the Vera Cruise. I still like the Mariner design as well though.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Jeff

That is pretty! The bow looks a lot like the Tahoe with a little more free board. What is the length?

I can't imagine Lauren letting me pull a mattress out!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TUGMYWAY

Postby TUGMYWAY » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 pm

Nice flip! Very COOL! :mrgreen:

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:34 am

The boat is 20'8" from the top of the transom to the front tip. I estimate the hull itself weights around 700 to 800 pounds with additional 100 to 200 pounds of framing lumber being flipped with it. Note that we had a winch hooked up to it that did the heavy work in lowering the hull, and the cradle with non-slip padding helped in this regard. After the turn, we loaded the boat onto the trailer by lifting the front of the boat and moving the trailer under it, then lifting the back of the boat and sliding it onto the trailer. I plan to take the wheels off of the trailer and attach casters to it and use the trailer as a dolly.

Old aussie

Postby Old aussie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 am

very nice, how did you manage to keep quiet about that little beauty for so long .

Old Aussie Peter..

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 am

Very Nice!!! Shiney, too!!! Did you stick with the WR-LPU? Look's like Mercer Green.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 am

Yes Roberta, it is SystemThree LPU Mercer Green on the bottom and their clear gloss on the sides (proud to say purchased from Glen-L). And thank for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience you'd gained in finishing and refinishing your boats. I really appreciate all of the time you spent responding to my PM's regarding SystemThree. You gave me a good base to build on and I did a lot of testing and experimenting from there. The finish is pretty good, but not great; but I used what I learned from doing the bottom to do a better job with the sides and I believe that I'll be able to use what I learned from doing the sides to do a great job on the topside decking. Soon, I'm going to post a link to an extremely long and detailed PDF file sharing what I've learned for others to use. It'll be sort of a SystemThree Painting Guide for Smart Boatbuilders Written by a Dummy type of guide. Thanks Again, Jeff

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Congrats on the flip Jeff! You have been busy!

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:26 am

I was wondering ??? As you know I am not on here much. CC looking good . We wont be able to make it to Madisonville this weekend, my brother is going with friend Joey who lives in Pensacola but is from there. They going for the party he has a aluminum and F glass boat. I hope we can Have INNOCENCE back there next year

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:37 am

Jeff that hull is just Beautiful, I am amazed and bewildered at how you and others on the forum produce such masterpieces of woodwork. Also thank you for the kind words on my project.

Craig Aho

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Greetings from one of the slowest boatbuilders on the Glen-L forum. I knew it had been quite a while since I’d posted any pictures, but I didn’t realize that it had been well over two years. In any event, slowly, I continue to progress.

Attached are some pictures of the control console and engine. While I’ve actually got a fair amount more done than what is shown, there’s still much to do. I’m building most everything in the boat that isn’t structural in nature so that it can be easily removed and installed via brass and SS screw inserts; so over the weekend, I installed the control console area for the pictures and got out the vacuum to gussie her up for some pics.

The build process is getting to a more exciting phase and so I’ll try to post pics more often going forward. I’m hoping to have her in the water this summer; but, when I started building almost four years ago I thought I’d be able to complete the build in two years. So my timeline predictions aren’t too accurate. Oh well, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Control Console 01.jpg
Admiral's Station 01.jpg
Captain's Station 01.jpg

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:43 pm

A few more pics.

Control Console 02.jpg
Engine Compartment 01.jpg
Engine Compartment 02.jpg

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:59 am

Nice boat Jeff ,
I am a bit slower on the building, I hit the four year mark in January, that's when I started, but I had purchased the plans 3 months earlier :? :roll:

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:13 am

Nice design work Jeff. I really like the three dimensional look of the raised paneling and floors in the seating areas. Don't worry about slow building. I am right there with you. Started in August 2012 and have yet to flip (although getting close to that benchmark). I easily expect my build to take 6 years. I originally thought three years. I realize now I was comparing to Roberta and her lightning builds. :D :D :D That woman is amazing!

Thanks for posting updates. I very much enjoy seeing the interior work that people are doing on their boats.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”