What the Heck, I'm Coming out of the Closet, too

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Ibrew2be

Re: What the Heck, I'm Coming out of the Closet, too

Postby Ibrew2be » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Jeff:-
You have done an absolutely splendid job with your build. Congratulations, and thanks for posting.

I am intrigued by your mention of having altered the plans above the water line because you didn't like the appearance of the boat at the transom. I am having a similar problem with one of the Glen-L designs I am considering. So that leads me to a couple of questions.

In addition to changing the shape of the transom and the transom frame (I assume), did you need to change the shape of any of the frames forward of the transom in order to make all of the lines work? If so, which frames, and how far forward of the transom are they?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Yes, the plans I had were for a boat probably designed in the 80's and it came along with an ugly flared transom. The reason that I chose the plans was that I felt the hull would work well with a sterndrive motor arrangement, I liked the bow shape, and the beam was less than 8 feet. Essentially I put the screwed but unglued frames on the building platform along with the transom. I then shaped the tumblehome on the transom on one side. As a guide for shaping the tumblehome, I used my old Squirt plans although the scaling didn't translate precisely. I removed the side pieces from all the frames aft of the third frame (where the beam was widest). I then fastened a good batten with straight grain around the side of the boat and begin to create the new part of the frame sides at different levels making plywood templates of each frame. Once I had the frames on that side with fair lines, I used them as a guide to make the other side.

Of course a better way to do this would be to use a CAD program which would produce a profile of each frame and you could simply cut them out; but I don't know how to use these programs. Using one of these programs would also give you a good visual of how the boat will look. All I had to go by was simply my vision of physically looking at it and taking off some here and adding some there until I thought it looked okay. However, I was looking at it while it was upside down. What I really wanted and was shooting for was for it to look like a giant Glen-L Squirt with a flared bow. Because I'd previously built a Squirt I had a good idea of what it should look like, but I won't lie in saying that I had grave concerns that it would not look good when I flipped it. In the end I was happy with the result and in many ways it truly does look like a Giant Glen-L Squirt.

Thanks for the compliment and if I can be of any help to you in what you're trying to do, just let me know.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 am

It looks magnificent Jeff. But I share you're angst when doing things like this. One of the things for me was adding the spray rails. They needed to be flat with the bottom of the boat at the aft end, but by their very nature were at least 30 degrees rotated from that, necessitating cutting them down gradually from some point amidships in a tapering manner. When you're doing this upside down, you never really feel 100 percent confident with what you're doing. Fortunately, most of our worries turn out to be worse than the actual reality. :) :)
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:33 am

Ibrew2be wrote:In addition to changing the shape of the transom and the transom frame (I assume), did you need to change the shape of any of the frames forward of the transom in order to make all of the lines work? If so, which frames, and how far forward of the transom are they?

Barry, I've just gone through this 're-profiling' exercise on the Overniter design. How far forward your changes will need to stretch to get fair curves depends upon the severity of your change at the transom. Move the sheer in by an inch at the transom and perhaps you can get away without changing any other frames. In my case the sheer moved in nearly 14 inches at the transom and this resulted in changes to frames 1, 2 and 3 (out of 5 in total) to get fair curves.

You haven't said what design you're looking at or how big the changes are you intend to make - post that information (maybe in a new thread to avoid derailing this one) and you'll get more specific feedback on what the implications might be and how to address them.

Ian

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Jeff and Sproggy:
Thank you for the replies. What you've said makes perfect sense and is very helpful perspective.

The stage I am at is trying to decide which design to go with for my second build. One of the designs under consideration is the Roustabout. I'm attracted to its deep-V hull shape, since at some point I may wish to take the boat out on the Great Lakes. Alas, I am not at all fond of the way the transom flares outward on the Roustabout, and that's what led to my question.

If I do end out choosing that design I'll certainly be reaching out to folks like you who've made the kind of modifications (i.e. adding some tumblehome) I would wish to make.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Bayou Bengal,

I have not been on the forum in a little while but noticed your completion. Your boat looks fantastic. It seems like you completed it very quickly. Regardless, it looks great. Congratulations. I certainly hope you have time to bring it to the Madisonville Boat Festival in October. It is only a few miles from me and I would love to see the boat and meet you in person. I had dreams of completing my Monaco by then but work is getting in my way. Chris.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

It seems like you completed it very quickly.

I guess "very quickly" is a relative term; it took me a little over five years.

Yes, I'll be back at Madisonville this year. I actually had the boat there last year although it was not yet finished and I only had it there on Saturday. BTW, the pictures on the water posted above were taken at Madisonville the week before last when we docked and dined at Morton's. We'll be on the Tickfaw Saturday and maybe Maurepas if it's not too windy. I'm hoping to use the boat quite a bit this summer. In brief, if you're spending much time on the water you'll probably run into me before the boat festival either on the Tchefuncte, Tickfaw, or Amite. Of course, If you'd like you can contact me and we can make a plan to just meetup somewhere on the water. I'd love to meet you and hear more about your build, show you my boat and take you for a ride, even let you drive.

I understand that work can get in the way sometime with boatbuilding and remember that you'd overcome some health issues also during your build. Just stay at it as best you can, it will come. And hopefully soon, we can cruise the Tchefuncte together.

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 am

Great looking Boat. Classy....Love your workshop too

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:34 am

I love the workshop too, but it's not mine, it's my brother's. My workshop is only 25' x 19' and making room in it to build the boat was quite a pain.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Yep, like my shop (a.k.a garage) and boat. 20 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag with a side of wood shavings thrown in! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Bayou Bengal - I'll be looking for you on the waterways this summer as well. Just received and installed my prop shaft so I plan to make the final engine fit tomorrow. I feel like that will be the last major hurdle. Skip's been helping me a lot to get this far. I will post some pics when the engine is set and there is some progress to show. Chris.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:14 pm

A friend of mine uploaded this video of my boat underway to Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niiedGe ... load_owner.

Next weekend, I think we'll have six adults, about 1100 to 1200 pounds weight in the boat; so, it'll be interesting to see how the ride is then.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 am

Wow, it really moves out!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am

Jeff,

I'm just getting caught up on this thread. WOW! Your boat is absolutely stunning!

Any chance you'll have it at G11?
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Yep, I'll be there. I'll look forward to meeting you and also am excited about ordering one of the T-shirts you've designed.

Return to “Power Boats”