Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Post by hoodman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 am

The router method looks like a decent method, however, I don't own one yet. Anyone have experience with "cheap" routers and know if there are any good ones.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:12 pm

I have an old Porter Cable 690 with fixed and plunge bases. Beat her up over the years, on it's third power cord, and not as accurate as she used to be - but "keeps on ticking ".
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

lakeracer69

Post by lakeracer69 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:22 pm

I second Porter Cable. I have the same one, It's about 15 years old and still works great.
Sometimes cheap tools yield cheap results.

Hand sanders are another matter, I consider them throw aways after they grenade.

YMMV
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Matt,

If you're up in the Hickory area any time soon I'd be glad to lend you a router, keep it through your project you may need it for other things.
Luke Hargenrader (nomad_19)
My current ride is a 1963 Thompson SeaLancer "Miss Morning Wood"
Re-building "The Betty Boop" a Glen L-Nomad built by my father in 1973
Have plans for Vera Cruise and Double Eagle....maybe someday.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:13 am

Hey Luke, thanks for the offer. Might take you up on that if I don't end up buying one myself. Would love to see the Nomad though. Maybe I can get up that way after Christmas.

I need to grab some more white oak soon as my calculations were quite a bit off it seems. I figured 10% waste and that's not even close. I have enough to get me to the planking stage though. I have lots of "scrap" that I plan to use making seats. I'd like to have four seats with locking swivels. Maybe I'll have room for a bench seat too we'll see after the flip.
Matt

Nomad_19

Post by Nomad_19 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm

hoodman wrote: I'd like to have four seats with locking swivels. Maybe I'll have room for a bench seat too we'll see after the flip.
You should have plenty of room, the Geronimo is 16' isn't it? My 17' Thompson has a bench seat across the back. It's built as part of the transom well. It works well. If you don't overdo the front seating area I would think you would have plenty of room between front and back seats.

Here's a couple pictures of my back seat with the cushions off.

Luke Hargenrader (nomad_19)
My current ride is a 1963 Thompson SeaLancer "Miss Morning Wood"
Re-building "The Betty Boop" a Glen L-Nomad built by my father in 1973
Have plans for Vera Cruise and Double Eagle....maybe someday.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

That's cool! I was thinking of something similar. My brother's Crestliner has a rear bench seat that folds forward to male a flat platform for fishing. I might try something similar. Oh and I'm building the Geronimo to 17'.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm

I have sprung the first sheer lamination. Any tips for trimming at the stem? I didn't do a very good job of that on the chines (thank goodness for thickened epoxy). I'll leave them in place overnight so they get used to their new shape. I can really start to see the shape of that hogged sheer line that I like so much on this design.
Attachments
IMG_20141219_183827_634.jpg
IMG_20141219_183839_190.jpg
Matt

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:55 am

mrintense wrote:I've seen many different ways of doing this scarf joint. I ended up using a router and two angles wedges to lay the router plate on.

I may have to come up with something to scarf plywood for a portion of my bottom skins.
Here you go a method for using a circular saw https://www.facebook.com/notes/home-mad ... 1994906484
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks, Lowka, I'll probably do something similar for my plywood. Although, I don't believe a standard 7 1/4" blade has enough depth to do the full cut at 1/10 on a 3/8" sheet but I can finish it up with a hand plane without too much trouble I think.

I have permanently glued the first sheer clamp lam. Hope to do some more lam gluing tomorrow and use up all those clamps I've been collecting.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Had an uncle tell me over Christmas that once the baby comes "you'll never get that boat done." I guess I get to prove him wrong. Just waiting on the next warm spell to get some gluing done. Looks like Sunday into Monday or so we'll have some highs in the 50s. Gonna get cold coming up tomorrow though.
Matt

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:26 pm

:D What about a big boy saw at http://www.loghelp.com. Bosch worm drive with14" blade.Can cut a 6x6 in one pass,or maybe a prazi attachment for your skilsaw, :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:02 am

I'm thinking of doing butt joints for the side panels and scarf joints for the bottom ply. That way I'll only have to cut two scarf joints. The reason being that it should be a lot easier to do the butt joints on the side ply since there aren't battens to work around like the bottom ply. Also, should be a simpler to attach the long scarfed panels for the bottom since they will just lay on top.
Matt

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am

hoodman wrote:I'm thinking of doing butt joints for the side panels and scarf joints for the bottom ply. That way I'll only have to cut two scarf joints. The reason being that it should be a lot easier to do the butt joints on the side ply since there aren't battens to work around like the bottom ply. Also, should be a simpler to attach the long scarfed panels for the bottom since they will just lay on top.
I'm rapidly getting to the point where I have to decide what to do on the bottom plys as well. My experience with the side panels makes me want to continue with butt joints, primarily because handling a bigger panel during installation (as well as the extra work needed getting it installed) makes a single piece install more difficult. On the other hand, the curve of the bottom plys is more pronounced at the front than the side skins were so I am concerned that this will not lend itself well to a but joint.

I have been able to prebend my backing panels using steam and this has helped considerably, but I am not sure yet. Since I have some structure and fairing work to do on the bottom before installing the skins, I am going to address this issue when I get to it.

Your hull is essentially the same as mine except I have an extra frame in the forward section so we will have similar issues to contend with.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:02 am

I get what ya mean, Carl. I think, though, with a scarf joint on the bottom panels you wont have to worry about leaving a space for limbers in the butt blocks although its probably not that big of a deal now that I think about it. The bottom skin will be less that 16' on my boat. will yours have two joints?
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”