Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Post by hoodman »

chugalug wrote::D Looking good -a little grinding and as good as new.Read somewhere that laminated wood is stronger than solid wood.You should not have any probs now.
Yeah, I think that's part of the reason the sheers are laminated to begin with. The grain of all the pieces is going the same direction but there is still enough variation I think to add quite a bit of strength.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

The main thing to watch out for Matt is when you start fairing the sheer. Your boat's hull is essentially the same as mine and I had to remove a considerable amount off the outside of the sheer in the area of your break. I added an additional lamination on the inside because of this.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I've been doing some fairing on the chine. I can only hand plane for 15-30 minutes with the fan pointed at me before I am dripping with sweat. But, I think 15-30 minutes a day and I'll have it licked eventually.
Matt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Hoodman & Mr. Intense

You mean you had problems with twisting and bending in 2 directions at the same time :!: :shock:

Hell :!: I was hoping you could tell me :!:

I added material to the inside also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

hoodman wrote:I've been doing some fairing on the chine. I can only hand plane for 15-30 minutes with the fan pointed at me before I am dripping with sweat. But, I think 15-30 minutes a day and I'll have it licked eventually.
I tackled this in several ways last summer when I was fairing. First off, like you, I worked in 15 to 30 minute increments but kept plenty of water nearby.
I would then go inside and explore the of wooden boats on the web for an hour (to cool off). Then back outside for another session. Repeat as often as I could stand on any given day.

I also used 15-30 minute sessions after work (but usually only once per evening)

I have a portable air conditioner but because of the sanding I was often doing, I could not use it. When I was fairing with a hand plane, you can bet the portable AC was running.

Just keep plugging away. Take your time because this design requires considerable effort to get right. Good luck.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Bill, I will probably add another lamination to the inside of the forward sheer on the other side of the boat. I don't think that the sheer is hogged forward of frame 5 so I only had a bend, not a bend and a twist.

I work from a home office so on my lunch break or my OSHA 15 :wink: I can go out and and do a little bit of fairing. Its good not to sit down all day anyways. Of course with the new little one and the wife home on leave I would help her out with the kiddo during a break. Now that he's in daycare I have my breaks back.

One way of beveling the notches on the keel:

Saw down following the angle of the frames until just before the centerline on the keel on each side of the desired notch.

Pop out the unwanted bits with an appropriately sized chisel. You'll ding the blade if your screws aren't countersunk enough. I was mildly concerned about that.

I then smoothed out a bit with a file. I left the notches a little high so I can fine tune later while I'm hand planing. I haven't sanded yet during fairing. I hope to minimize that. If you do use a a hand plane like me you'll want to rough up everything with 80 or 120 grit before gluing. It leaves a surface that's really even too slick for paint to stick good. And if I understand white oak is especially prone to not soaking up as much glue (in the heartwood). I've got two frames that have a tiny bit of sapwood in them and those areas did soak up extra epoxy when encapsulating. I was fascinated by it.
Matt

obd

Post by obd »

Great pics and technique! You have saved me quite a bit of time and consternation. I am sure that keel bevel was not as easy as you made it look!

shandman

Post by shandman »

I like it. Reminds me of getting my Bullet port chine fairing angle (at the transom) visualized:

Art Shand

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Matt

Don't forget the limbers.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Thanks for the reminder, Bill. I plan on doing those a little later on.
Matt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Matt

I know. But, don't want you to get to one of those " Ah Shit" moments. I know about those.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Yeah I'm trying to minimize those. They happen in almost every project and the boat has a lot of projects.
Matt

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca »

Hi Matt, here's one of the few times I used a power plane, I had a friend make me a brace of aluminum angle to bolt into the side of my planer. Worked real well to establish the right bevels on the keel and sheer. I put 1x4's of the exact distance between the frames, tight, and tacked them in with brads, about the length in from the keel or sheer as the brace would reach, and planed the keel or sheer while the brace rode on the 1x4. Worked pretty good to get the angle of the frame and thus the correct (or close) bevel on the keel and chine. The brace could bolt to either side of the planer. My friend can weld aluminum, and the power planer had threads on both sides for their attachments that aren't so hot. Bob
Attachments
runabout 034.jpg
Bob

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Don't throw those shavings-they make excellent fire starters!Looking good.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

SJC

Post by SJC »

I used the power plane, belt sander and hand plane, grinder if I encountered a screw that needed to be recessed :wink:
About an hour start to finish for each member, sheer, chine etc.

Return to “Power Boats”