Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

vupilot

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby vupilot » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 pm

On the Zip, which gives less room to work with, I made those holes about as big as I dared without them being so big that I thought it might compromise the strength. Hope you are settled and enjoying your new home in Lafayette.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Howdy Matt, well I don't have an answer on the hole size but looks like we're at the same point on the same design. Here's a picture of where I'm at on my Geronimo. Forward of frame 5 I put in a 3/8 ply deck and foamed in place underneath. Between frames 4 and 5 I basically did the same, I put a partition under the center batten then foamed each side. These decks are glued and screwed on, I don't expect to have to remove them in my lifetime :lol: Between frame 4 and the bulkhead I am just going to paint all surfaces and screw the two side floor panels on with no glue or foam underneath. Maybe the removable center panel I'll try the inserts.
But about those holes - picture shows starboard side, my steering will be on the left, but also on that side I have already doe the carling and coaming. So I need to drill these holes. I expect all my steering and motor controls will go thru the same holes. As far as how HIGH I will make the holes, I think about as high as I can comfortably reach up and make a good cut. Hopefully the center of the hole at about the bottom of the carling, which would be a good height for the controls and steering (I think - need to check on control location).
As far as hole size, I'm thinking 2 1/2 inches.
Hey how about a nice little wood burning stove in your garage? Also you'll be needing a TV out there. Bob
Attachments
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 am

This is the first chance I've had in a while to show any actual noticeable progress. I am working on encapsulating the interior of the hull. Previously I have just been cleaning up excess glue. I'm not going to clean up everything that will end up being covered up by the floor. I have a lot of squeeze out along the battens and I just don't think it's worth it to clean all that up. I have to draw the line somewhere.
DSC01008.JPG

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 am

Glad to see you back at it.

I would just make sure there are no voids or drips along the battens that would trap water.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:36 am

It's good to be back at it! I need to hustle to get on the water next summer, but I think it's doable. And good thought, Jim. However, I think even the worst of it wont trap any water.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 am

Matt, I can fully appreciate what you are going through. I had to do this last summer when it was blazing and it was all I could do to make myself do it. It's fun to see the picture you posted. It looks just like mine. I hope you can get the boat in the water by next summer. You and Bob in California and we'll have two more nice boats to look at.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Matt, good to see you're back working on your boat. I didn't worry about glue runs that won't be seen either. You're right saying "I've got to draw the line somewhere"! I'm a perfectionist too but I also want to use this boat and it's so easy to get bogged down in the details. It's a boat - not a piece of furniture :D I remember when I was building the Glen-L 17 in the early 80's I called Glen-L many times asking for advice - once I called to ask if something I was doing would put the boat off balance (not floating vertically!) and I guess he thought I was obsessing over nothing and told me "Hey, it's a boat - you could put a fireplace in it and it'll still float okay!" Of course he was exaggerating. Also I remember when I launched it first time down at the harbor, some bum living on a derelict boat yelled out "Gee, it looks like a piece of furniture!", which I don't think was a compliment.. Bob
Bob

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:16 am

Good to see your back to having fun building, because it’s not work. Your boat looks great! I have inverted drips all along the interior of the chine, it hasn’t been much of a distraction from the fun factor yet.
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”