Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Post by hoodman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Hey Ryan, I was thinking Raccoon Lake since I actually know that lake well but maybe Missessinewa. The great thing about Freeman is that it's only about 30 minutes from my house. Do you know if there is a public boat launch at Freeman or do you have to pay? The Wabash is definitely out for a first splash but I am curious about it too.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

riplash

Post by riplash » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't know if there is a free ramp at Lake Schafer or Freeman, but it may be worth it to pay for the first splash since it is so close to you. If I remember right Racoon Lake was about 55 miles from Lafayette and It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get there. And the lake at Peru was pretty far away too like over an hour away.

After your first splash some places to check out in the Wabash are the boat ramps at the bottom of Happy Hollow rd and North River Road in West Lafayette I think it is called Moscouten Park. Then Fort Ouiotenon has nice boat ramps. (Purdue's rowing team had a boathouse there before they moved to their current location just north of the pedestrian bridge). And way out in the boondocks there is a gravel ramp underneath the Granville bridge along South River Road/Division Road. I have canoed and kayaked at all three of those places and back then 15-20 years ago, It would be great for your boat. But I am not sure how the Wabash has changed since then.

Cheers,
Ryan

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks, Ryan! We went over to mississinewa (Peru) last weekend to check things out. It was a little bit of a drive but mostly four lane and no traffic. The state park is really nice and I've heard good things about the fishing. We know some folks that have a house on Freeman also.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:23 pm

I had a little area that was shaped funny at the sheer. When I attached the deck plywood I shaped it so that it stuck out a little to correct the curve. I started filling it in. This time using mostly microspheres and only a touch of wood flour instead of half and half. Much easier to sand. Also had to do a second application filling some of the nail divots. Maybe I can start fiberglassing the deck tomorrow!
Attachments
IMG_20180623_171032219.jpg
Matt

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:32 pm

That would be great Matt, keep bringing it!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Maybe I can start fiberglassing the deck tomorrow!
Matt - Why glass the deck? I Thought that was just for abrasion resistance and if its going to be under planking I don't see the point. Am I missing something?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Jim

Each is different. But, do you walk on the hull?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:31 pm

Jim, I'm not planking the deck. I think it's a good idea. It's probably just as easy to accidentally gouge the deck as it is to hit something in the water.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am

Glassed the front deck. This is a cinch after doing the bottom of the hull!
Attachments
IMG_20180625_092500442.jpg
Matt

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:48 am

Matt,

Yes you definitely have this skill now, looks great. What's next :) :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Cool Matt, the pace is definitely stepping up for you. It's sort of pushing me along a little bit (however still much to do). What are your plans for the deck since it's not going to be planked? Painted or non-skid?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:23 pm

The deck will be painted. Got a quote from an Evinrude dealer today! I'll be negotiating with them some more tomorrow.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Carl, I'll have non-skid in the cockpit.

I think it's like you said on your thread. For a while it seems like there's not much to look at and then all of the sudden everything starts to come together.
Matt

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 am

hoodman wrote:The deck will be painted. Got a quote from an Evinrude dealer today! I'll be negotiating with them some more tomorrow.
Progress :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:19 am

Cool beans on the Evinrude. I will love to hear about the process and the final result. I haven't ruled out a new Evinrude. Obviously that would be my first choice, but the cost is a major road block. But please let us know what the outcome of this is. We don't get a lot of info on motor purchases or choices being made.

As for the deck, I am seriously considering painting my deck as well. However, with the anchor well up forward, I will have to have at least some non skid up there. I've seen this done quite tastefully on a BlueJacket 28, so I know its possible.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Power Boats”