Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BillJ

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Post by BillJ »

Matt,

Just wondering how the build is progressing. Sorry I couldn't help with the math a few post back, I learned all that stuff but deleted it all when I needed the brain space for girls and motorcycles. :wink:

BillJ

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

BillJ

A friend of mine has a coffee cup the says, "I spent most of my money of beer and women. The rest I just waisted!" :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

lakecat

Post by lakecat »

Hey Matt - just found this thread this weekend and read it all! I'm thinking about building a Geronimo as well, so this is great inspiration. My 5 year old son keeps asking me when we can build a speed boat.... not sure how that happened!

What are you doing about flotation in your boat? I'm wondering how much flotation and where it can fit in the geronimo. Also, I'm in Chicago - 3 hours away. Great to have another builder near by in case I ever order a set of plans!

Keep up the great work!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Billj - it's progressing. I was waiting on an order of some more fiberglass and I have that now. So I can finish glassing the deck and get it painted now.

vupilot - thanks for checking in and thanks for the info in the PM you sent!

Lakecat - there is a lot of space under the floor in the cockpit for floatation as well as under the rear deck. I have a two gallon kit of two-part expanding floatation foam. I am planning to "cast" blocks of it and cut them to fit where I need them. The wood itself has a certain amount of bouyancy so I just need to account for things like the motor and other things that don't float. If I can find places to stuff the whole two-gallon kit I should be good. It's unlikely that it will ever be needed but you never know! It's great that you read the whole thread. I hope it was helpful to you. There's lots of great Glen-l designs to choose from but it's great to see some folks interested in the Geronimo. There's so many zips and malahinis out there it's nice to see folks interested in the other designs as well. Also, if you are planning on passing through this area and want to take a look send me a private message!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Matt,

Good to hear! Maybe if the creek doesn't rise, it will be a good productivity week then.

BillJ

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Billj, here's your progress report:

Glass is on the side decks. And I checked the first coaming piece on the other side and it fit almost exactly so I was able to just trace it onto the next board. Couldn't have worked out better!
IMG_20180702_184447410.jpg
Matt

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Matt,

That's really good news! More to come I'm sure.

Billj

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

hoodman wrote:Billj, here's your progress report:

Glass is on the side decks. And I checked the first coaming piece on the other side and it fit almost exactly so I was able to just trace it onto the next board. Couldn't have worked out better!
IMG_20180702_184447410.jpg
Good on you Matt!. I just had the same experience yesterday with the cabin side templates.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Carl, don't it feel good when something works out like that!
Matt

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sure does.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Jim, I'm not planking the deck. I think it's a good idea. It's probably just as easy to accidentally gouge the deck as it is to hit something in the water.
I missed this a while back; It makes sense to me now learning that you won't be planking it. Thanks for the insight

Great progress, its coaming together :wink:
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Milhouse wrote:its coaming together :wink:
Very punny!

It's always fun how the glass just disappears. Working my way back. My motor is waiting for me at the dealer.
Attachments
IMG_20180703_170527011.jpg
IMG_20180703_161522589_HDR.jpg
Matt

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looks like a splash later this year?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looking cool Matt. That disappearing act worked well enough or me to glass my mahogany veneered transom without any bad results. I did use a slightly lighter weight cloth than on the bottom,
Carl

Clipper Boating

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Matt,

How are you hanging in there? Read where your motor arrived to the dealer, that's great news.

BillJ

Return to “Power Boats”