Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Post by mrintense »

Great news about the prop Matt. Glad it worked out.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

We spent three days camping at Raccoon Lake last week. We were able to put the four-blade Turning Point Hustler prop through its paces. I traded the 17 pitch in for a 19 pitch. We were loaded down with four adults, a five-year-old, a full cooler, and a full tank of gas. Was able to hit a little over 37 mph. Although there wasn't much smooth water to really wring it out.

Much better steering. If it does happen to suck air it recovers much quicker. Turns are much sharper and the boat will really lean over in the turns vs. staying kinda flat with the old prop.

Much better trim control. With the engine trimmed down the bow is pointed lower than the three-blade making the ride much smoother in rough water. No high speed proposing unless I try to trim it out. Didn't get to try a run with a lighter load but I suspect I would be able to trim it up and be within 1 or 2 MPH of the top speed of the three-blade.

I'd suggest that if you are thinking you might need trim tabs on your outboard boat maybe try one of these aluminum four-blade props. For about $100 bucks with a new hub, it's cheaper and easier to try than the tabs. If it doesn't work most places will take them back no problem (as long as you don't scratch it.)
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Also, I had a little problem with the swim ladder. This was the on-the-water solution to get everybody back aboard.
Attachments
IMG_20200708_180618120_HDR.jpg
Matt

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Sounds like a fun trip Matt! Glad you are out there using your boat
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

That does sound like fun. It is really satisfying to ride in a boat you built :)

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I flew over Raccoon lake Saturday about lunch time, couldnt believe how many boats were out there!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sounds like it was a blast Matt. I was just telling my wife to remember all the days I was out in this heat sanding and doing other nasty stuff when we finally get ours out on a lake.
Carl

Clipper Boating

footer

Post by footer »

Smart thinking on the ladder there, McGuiver. 😀👍
Glad your having so much good luck with the prop. I did try the 4 blade first, but it didn’t help me with the porpoising. It did give me a better hole shot. What really helped me Were the trim tabs. All my weight is in the stern, and when I had 4 people in the boat, it took me 15 seconds to get on plane with a lot of bow rise. Now with the trim tabs, I’m there in 5 sec easy with very little bow rise (which I absolutely love).
I do get a center spray from them that hits the tuber. I played back and fourth with the adjustment (it’s pretty easy) and found a happy medium.

I think I paid $110 for the pair.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I came up with a fix for the ladder. The original design for the ladder is not great with just two tiny screws trying to hold the weight of a grown ass man. I bought a piece of aluminum and made some gussets. Since I have no way of welding aluminum I used rivets. It is now way more solid than it ever was.
IMG_20200808_124151036.jpg
IMG_20200808_125711178.jpg
Matt

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Great fix, looks like it was meant to be there!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Perfect!
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice straightforward fix Matt. Why companies make these things so cheap is really a shame.
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I have both halves of the windshield glued together. Somehow, I think this is actually going to work.
IMG_20200813_152751904.jpg
Matt

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

There are lots of angles and arcs at play In your windshield, not an easy task. Stay with it.
Matt B

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Wow - very impressive! I'll be watching your progress on this closely. The Mist Miss has a wood windshield prescribed as well, and I have some ideas on that. Best of luck on this part

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Return to “Power Boats”