Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Postby hoodman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks, Jimmy, I somehow missed your posts about launching your boat last fall. The boat looks great on the water, congratulations! I bet you are excited to get it back on the water this spring!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 am

Hi Matt,

Yeah, I was just thinking about when to pull it out of the storage facility. I got a new trailer a few weeks ago, and need to shift things around so I can sell my Laser sailboat.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:14 pm

I have a bunch of electrical components on order. I decided to go with bestboatwire.com for a lot of it. Buying 25-foot rolls of separate color wires for everything I need initially plus ten gauge wire to get from the battery to a panel at the dash plus a bunch of heat shrink connectors and cable clamps was about the same price as getting a full bare-wire "harness" from another source. I think I will enjoy wiring the boat. It takes me back to my days years ago messing with car stereos.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:47 pm

I plan on making my own "wire harness" as well. Good luck with it. Can you post a wiring diagram?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Bryan, I wouldn't know the first thing about making a wiring diagram. But I can tell you that I'll be going from the battery to a panel behind the dash with 10 gauge wire with a 30 amp breaker near the battery. This is the panel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P ... UTF8&psc=1

From the panel, I'll have twelve fused positive terminals and a negative bus bar. I'll route everything else from there. I have two 3 position push-pull switches. One will be for the bilge pump (off-auto-manual) and the other for navigation lights (off-anchor-nav.). At night if you are anchored you're supposed to burn your stern light. When you are running the red/green light needs to be turned on as well. I supposed I'll see if I can wire the gauge lights to come on with the full nav lights.

I'm not exactly sure what else will be wired and switched on and off together yet but I've got a couple more regular 2 position push-pull switches. They look really cool. Oh, and I have a momentary switch for the horn.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Here's a link to a handy summary of ABYC wiring standards:

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resourc ... cerpts.pdf

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks Steve that was helpful. This simple wiring is hard enough for me. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with your wiring. Thankfully I have a son that is an EE.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am

Integrating an entire alternating current system is a whole other thing. Plus the myriad of other systems that are on Steve's boat. They probably aren't even all 12 volt.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks Matt,

It's true there were several different DC & AC voltages to deal with, but it's not so bad if you take one circuit at a time starting with the main DC and AC ground circuits and then adding breaker and distribution panels as needed for the service areas. Wire size needs to be appropriate to give desired voltage drop (typically 3%; no more than 10%) for current draw and distance, and every circuit properly protected according to ampacity table... one wire at a time & test before moving on. Lather, rinse, repeat! :lol:

PS The distribution panel you chose looks great!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:45 pm

I found the AC much easier than the DC. The AC from shore power is 10 gage wire to the breaker panel. Only 2 circuits. 3 ground fault outlets and a water heater. The DC has 2 systems, starter and house. There is a cross over for charging. The bilge pumps have 2 switch systems for float switches and manual switches. Both always hot fuse panels and switched panels. Main power switch to isolate the systems and different fuses or breakers for each function. I can run a generator in through the shore power glug. So shore and generator can't be connected at the same time! You really don't want that!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm

The 12 volt components you mentioned are a snap. I used the exact DC bus block you have. I threw in a cigarette lighter plug, handy for running the tube inflator. Couple strings of LED lights are a must too. I had never wired anything from scratch before, throughly enjoyed the experience.
Matt B
Attachments
122794DF-BAD1-42B5-AC61-C936A5724472.jpeg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Matt, I do need to add a 12 volt outlet to the list. Maybe a USB outlet too. I'll probably add the courtesy lights later on but the way this boat will be set up, everything will be fairly easily accessible.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I just got my order from Best Boat Wire. It all seems to be of really nice quality. The wire all has nice thick insulation. I don't think it can be beaten at $3.50 for a 25-foot roll of 16 gauge. The heat shrink connectors were a really good deal too.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Matt....Another good supplier for marine tinned wire and connectors is Greg's Marine Wiring. I think that same spool of 16 ga. wire is around $4.00 at Greg's. I got all the wiring stuff from Greg's when I built my Gentry and the service and quality were also excellent. Just another source for those looking for electrical supplies...... Neel

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks, Neel, it's always helpful to have more sources for stuff like that.

Return to “Power Boats”