Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:00 am

Congratulations Matt! She looks really nice. Thanks For the videos. Looks like Oliver had a blast.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am

Congrats Matt
Your boat performed well for its shakedown run. I like your helm seat. They sell ratchet mechanisms that would mount under the seat base if you want a more adjustable seat. Handy if you stand part of the time while navigating. Won’t be long before Oliver will be taking over st the wheel!
On your winch, you may find a winch post works better than the combination you have now. They sell them in different lengths, and if you get one a little long, can cut it down or even add a step to help you access the deck area.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 am

Congratulations, Matt. It looks like it handled well, and will be a lot of fun for you and your family for years.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:50 am

Awesome! Looks and runs great, congratulations!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:42 am

Cool stuff.
Yea, that winch setup stinks. Straight pull would be more bueno.
My take on recovering a boat starts with finding the right depth for the trailer. Too deep and the boat wanders all over the bunks, too shallow and you can’t drive it up far enough and it turns into a winching drag up the bunks. Here’s a couple pics of my winch tower setup.
Matt B
Attachments
19C1FDE8-BDE3-4B1E-B341-CF2C837B1970.jpeg
F056CB10-1732-4195-B98D-4CC279424FAA.jpeg

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am

You might also add a secondary chain on the tower. The catch on the winch can let you down. The secondary chain will keep the boat on the bunks. Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Yes you do need a safety chain.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Matt, I think you've hit on the biggest issue I have with the winch setup which is that my bow eye is above the rubber "Y" bow stop. So I am having to try to winch over the top of that which is not working at all. I have to see if there is something I can do with the parts I have or if I need to get something different.

Billy, I bought a seat slide mechanism. I thought I was getting a good deal but it is for a 2 3/8" post and I have 2 7/8" posts. So not a good deal after all. But as is it is I am comfortable behind the wheel and my wife can JUST reach to drive.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Howdy Matt, congratulations and thanks for the videos! The boat looks great, I love the red and white. That's one lucky boy sitting there.
Attached is the picture of my winch hook-up. Yeah the winch cam should be backed up with the safety hook. My trailer came provided with a safety hook on a steel cable - problem is that there is not enough room in my bow eye for both the safety hook and the winch hook; I've had my boat out thirteen times with no problems but.. I hate to clutter up the bow with another hook, this one looks so nice fit between the chines.
But I see the need so my solution is to simply bring the safety hook around the mast and hook it over the winch handle. The winch handle has to go one way or the other so it's not going to make too many revolutions before the safety cable jams it up. Boat wouldn't travel that far on the bunks.
You're right Matt this Geronimo is a really nimble fun boat and with the etec90 plenty fast for me. I took my daughter, son-in-law, two grand kids and my wife tubing last Sunday. First time we'd ever done anything like that and had a blast. That's four good-sized adults and an 8yr old and 12 yr old in my boat, as well as a fully inflated Big Bertha, 135lbs of ballast in the nose, and 14 gallons of gas. I kind of wasn't looking forward to it cause I was afraid we'd be overloaded but I didn't want to disappoint them. No problem, we pulled the tube 20-25 mph and could have gone a lot faster. I noticed that at 25mph my tach is 3500. Used about 6 gallons over 2 1/2 hrs. What a cool boat. Bob
Attachments
DSCF0072.JPG
non-recommended solution
DSCF0071.JPG
see safety cable lurking behind winch cable
Bob

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks for the pictures, Bob. We might get a tube next spring. The little guy needs to get more comfortable in the water but the boat will help with that! I think the winch setup that my trailer came with is not that great. I think I have a solution. I just need a standoff to hold the bow stop. But if I turn the winch tower around and mount the winch much higher I'll be winching much more in line with the bow eye. If I had foreseen the problem I would have mounted the bow eye a little lower. I do have a safety chain by the way. I'm just hooking it onto the eye of the winch strap hook.
IMG_20180819_154401103.jpg
Here's the original setup. With the winch pulling down on the bow eye it was not able to pull the boat all the way up onto the trailer.
IMG_20180819_164106237.jpg
Here's a possible solution. Just need a mount for the bow stop.
Matt

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Matt,

Enjoyed the videos and the fact that you have made so much progress in the past weeks. I liked seeing that big 90 in the back too! You have done well!

BillJ

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Howdy Matt, I just got some side bunks put on and they make it far easier to get the boat on the bunks correctly. They're steel channel so there's not much flex, I got them on so there's only one inch clearance minimum between the bunk and my hull side. so even if I don't get it on perfectly there's less than + or - one inch off the centerline. I always back up just to my rear truck tires and that seems to work for me and the launch I go to. I used some left over warped battens to make a support for my cover. Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:44 pm

forgot the attachment
Attachments
S0010078.JPG
Bob

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Bob, I had guide ons like those on my jon boat trailer. It made it stupid easy to load. I could just ram it on at about any reasonable angle. I have some goal post guide ons on order for this trailer as well as what I hope will be a solution for my winch post troubles. I'll see how they work.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:51 pm

I think I have the winch tower thing sorted out. It took a little bit of cutting, grinding, drilling, and bolting but I think I have something that will work a lot better. I also got my goalpost guides installed. As a side effect, if I get a hinge for the tongue I can place it much further aft than I could have previously.
Attachments
IMG_20180823_205547196.jpg
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”