Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby mrintense » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:09 pm

hoodman wrote: " anybody else that has built the Geronimo or Sea Knight it would be helpful to see some pictures of the transom/motorwell area."

Hi Matt

Craig Aho is building the Sea Knight. darthplywood (forum name ) also build one several years ago. There are also some real good pictures of the Sea Knight in the builder galleries.

Finally, I am building a Vera Cruise which is sort of a bigger Sea Knight and the hull is very similar to yours. I haven't got to the motorwell area yet but you are welcome to look at my construction blog and photo gallery at any time. I will answer questions if I can. Blog is at the link in my signature. Good luck with the build.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks, Carl!

captkirk

Postby captkirk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Here are some transom shots of my Geronimo. My topside is due for some refinishing...

Kirk

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 am

here's a pic of my motowell area (yes....my daughter is sitting-up asleep in the pic). It is cut deep enough to accomodate a 20" shaft outboard. I also used a custom aluminum motorwell to provide additonal strenght holding the motor on. It (ideally) distributes the stress a little more evenly on the inside of the transom caused by the through-bolts.
Attachments
motowell.jpg
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

darthplywood

Postby darthplywood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 am

here's a couple more pics of the motorwell (one taken during the build from the outside of the boat).
Attachments
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG (15.42 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
IMG_1755.jpg
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Dang I'm finally to the point of cutting out frames. Thanks to the guys above who shared the pics of their motorwell areas. That will be a big help.

Question for geronimo/seaKnight builders: On frame 4 is the bottom frame member in two pieces? I am aware that the floor timber will be one piece but I am not sure about the frame member. It looks like it will need to end up being two pieces but I am not sure from looking at the patterns.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:42 pm

The Vera Cruise is two pieces. Since the Sea Knight and Geronimo are similar hulls, I suspect it is two pieces as well.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:45 am

So there are a few frame parts that are about an inch wider than any of the widest boards that I have. Any suggestions? Can I glue an inch wide strip to the inside side of the parts?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:45 am

Carl I suspect that it is two pieces as well.

jprice

Postby jprice » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:25 am

hoodman wrote:So there are a few frame parts that are about an inch wider than any of the widest boards that I have. Any suggestions?

I had a similar issue with one of my frames. I used a biscuit joiner and epoxy to edge glue two boards together to make a wider board. I also reinforced the frame pieces after cutting them out by laminating a piece of 1/4" ply on one side.
That was probably overkill though, because I tested a piece of the edge glued board after the epoxy cured by smashing it with a hammer. It was always the wood itself that split. Not a single failure along the glueline.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:26 am

hoodman wrote:So there are a few frame parts that are about an inch wider than any of the widest boards that I have. Any suggestions? Can I glue an inch wide strip to the inside side of the parts?

I think if the extra material is on the inside of the side frames it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not a naval engineer but most of the structural attachments are on the outside of the frames. You could back it with plywood as jprice mentioned.

The bottom frames are a different story. I think these would have to be reinforced.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi Hoodman. Congratulations on starting your Geronimo! I've always thought it was a great-looking design.

I was catching up on your thread & saw where you had asked about the System Three epoxies... I've used both the Silvertip GelMagic and the regular Silvertip, and I've got to say that I really like them both. The GelMagic is very viscous and is great for gluing parts together. The regular silvertip is very easy to use and apply for encapsulation, etc. You can also thicken it for gluing, patching, etc.

I only use the slow hardener. And, as GDCarpenter mentioned, sawdust makes a perfectly good thickening agent. I'll add this thought: I've used both mahogany sawdust and #2 silica to thicken epoxy. Any time I've had to remove dried globs of it via blunt force (ie a chisel instead of sandpaper), I've found that the wood-thickened epoxy tends to be more resilient. It absorbs impacts better than the silica-thickened epoxy. The silica-thickened epoxy tends to be more brittle. So, whenever I use epoxy to fill in less-than-perfect joints that are potentially subject to impact, I prefer to use the wood-thickened stuff.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Cut out the bottom frame member for frame 1. I can tell the white oak is going to make a super sturdy boat. Taking a close look at the patterns and my boards I think if I am careful I'll be able to eek out without having to scab on extra width for the most part. If I run out of the very widest of my boards I think the side members of frame 3 will be good candidates for scabbing and I can make all of the critical structural parts out of solid pieces. We'll see. I'm excited to be making a little oak dust.

Mike, thanks for chiming in on the epoxy. I haven't actually ordered any yet but will be soon. I'm thinking of trying out Raka, they have an economical non-blush epoxy. They're in Florida too so shipping costs shouldn't be too bad. I don't think I'll initially be able to use wood flour for thickener. I don't really have a good way of collecting it. I can hook up the shop vac to the table saw but I don't have a way right now to plug it into the RO sander (duct tape?).

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:18 am

Frame 1 is more or less ready for glue.
Attachments
IMG_20140809_120815_294.jpg

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 am

Hi Matt, I'm building the Geronimo. Started in Feb 2013. I'm in the process now of sheathing the hull. Yes, the bottom of frame 4 is in two pieces, joined by the floor timber. Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”