Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BarnacleMike

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Looks great, Matt! That is very similar to the way I did my transom edge.

I did not have a nearby wall to use in order to leverage a stiff piece of plywood against the transom. So, instead I taped poster board against the hull in a similar fashion. In retrospect, I wish I had used something stiffer than poster board... perhaps even cardboard. In the end, mine worked out well except for one mishap. A small area of the poster board buckled, and I had some epoxy run down the transom. I caught it in time to recover pretty well, but it was still a mess.

In retrospect, I also I wish I had taped some waxed paper into place to protect parts of the hull above the chine from any runoff epoxy. That would've saved me some effort in cleanup.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 pm

I got a good amount of sanding done this weekend. I was going to go out there tonight and sand more but it is nice and warm in the house and I am out of propane for the shop heater. I am going to need another thin coat of epoxy, which, I am hoping to do in a couple of days when it warms up a little.
IMG_20170107_151320841.jpg
Greetings from the great white South!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm going to put one more thing coat of epoxy on tomorrow and I think I'll be good. I've sanded as smooth as I can and there are just some areas that need just a tiny bit more so I can level them out. I'm not at the point where I absolutely despise sanding but I can feel it coming.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Matt,
Your build is looking great! Sanding is a lot of work and I'm sure you will be glad you had the patience to do it all. I wish now that I had spent 3 or 4 more evenings sanding to smooth out all the imperfections. Everything shows up after you paint. Keep up the good work and enjoy the journey!
Capt. Dave

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:48 pm

First coat of paint. Pops was here to assist.
IMG_20170123_221417070.jpg

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Wow! Pretty color! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 am

Matt

Looks great! I recommend not doing the topsides until after the flip and deck work. It's just too easy to get epoxy and other stuff on the hull during the rest of the build. Well, maybe a coat of primer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks, Skip & Bill! System Three Camano Red. That's the plan, Bill, leave the topsides as is until top decking is in place. I wonder if I should overlap the fiberglass from the decking down onto the sides? Or just let the rub rail cover up that junction. Planning on a solid wood rub rail with some half oval metal trim.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 am

Matt,
I like the way you didn't carry the red bottom paint too far up the stem, looks really good. You build pace is very consistent, I'm rooting for you so she makes the 2017 Gathering. Never met a Geronimo in person, looking forward to meeting yours.

Matt B
McKinney TX

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 am

Matt

Most people don't glass the deck. I didn't on the Tahoe. The Bartender has glass on the sub main-deck, cabin sides, and roof.

If you do glass the deck, I would lap the joint.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 am

Bill, even for a painted plywood deck?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 am

Matt

For a painted deck, I think I'd glass. A bright deck with 3 coats of epoxy and 3 or 4 coats of 2-part polyurethane is tough. I think, I'd like the extra protection of glass under paint. I you don't fully fill the weave and don't sand it smooth, you automatically get a non-skid deck.

If you sand it smooth, a table spoon of clean/dry sand in the last topcoat coat of paint will be non-skid. The sand approach is probably easier to clean.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Matt,

The paint looks great. I've got the same color for the bottom of my Squirt.

Any pointers or tips other than Roberta's "higher humidity and don't over work"?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 am

Hi, Jimmy I don't have any pointers yet. Still learning myself. I don't think I'm going to end up with a showroom finish, but that's not really my goal so I'm ok with that. Last night was about 55-60 degrees in my shop and plenty of humidity. Had no problem keeping a wet edge.

Bill, that's what I was thinking. The Geronimo doesn't have much decking area. I don't think I'm going to be walking around on the front deck and I want it to be nice and smooth. The cockpit sole is another matter. I could do carpet but it's really expensive. I'll probably do some type of non-skid surface to start off with.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:37 am

Matt

I sealed the cockpit sole of the tug with epoxy. I painted it with box store porch paint with a little sand. Seems fine.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”