Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby Roberta » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Looking great, Matt.

High humidity, thin coats, and cooler temps. I avoid tipping and used hotdog rollers.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks, Roberta I'm using 7" x 3/8" foam rollers which are leaving a really bubbly surface. Then I'm tipping with a 3" brush.

Jim here's my first tip. Go pee before you start painting!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Matt

:lol: :lol: :lol: I agree! But, go after you put any gloves on. They are hard to put on wet hands! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi Matt. Your boat looks great! I finished painting my hull while it was upside down in the garage, easier to control the conditions. I'm doing the topside in my driveway and so far I haven't spilled anything on it I couldn't wipe off. I do go thru an awful lot of blue tape and masking paper tho.
I did glass my deck - I cut the cloth a few inches large all the way around then trimmed the green epoxy with a utility knife, left a sharp edge. Tomorrow I'm going to prime it, 2 coats of epoxy primer before painting it, probably this weekend. The hull and deck will meet at a sharp edge and both be painted.
I did not wrap the cloth over the side. Because after painting the deck, I plan on going around the sheer sanding it to a vertical edge about the width of the sheer clamp, so it would just get sanded off if I wrapped it. I will probably put on two laminations of at least one inch wide white oak for the sheer (or rub rail?). White oak bends pretty nice with boiling water and towels so I should be able to make that bend at the bow. Don't know about the metal half round yet..
What are your plans for the sheer? Bob
Attachments
IMG_0839.JPG
Bob

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Go pee before you start painting!
Good tip!

You might try the "hot dog" rollers that Roberta recommends. I'm using the 4" high density foam rollers from big Orange, they are about $8 for a 4 pack and they also make a 6" version. I've had very good experience with them in rolling on epoxy, and you should be able to wash them out with the WR-LPU water based paints.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm

I agree Jimmy. What worked best for me was the 6" white hi density foam hot dog rollers and very lightly tipping with a "slightly moistened" (with reducer) badger brush. There must be lots of badger farms :D
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, it took five coats to cover adequately. Primer would have helped the topcoat hide better. I'm overall happy with the result. It is far from perfect but it is the bottom and I think I've learned the lessons I needed to learn to do a better job on the rest of the paint later on. System Three says 14 days until it can go in the water. I'm guessing that's about how long I should wait to put it on the trailer.
DSC00042.JPG

irie E

Postby irie E » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Your boat looks great! Nice job!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Matt

Looks damn good to me! You'll see it flatten out even more over the next couple of weeks. Let the paint have some time to cure. You won't regret it if nothing happens. You will regret it if you don't wait and the paint sticks to the bunks.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 pm

If you are seeing a lot of dust on the paint, you can buff it out. Some 3000 and 5000 3m trizact pads and 3m finise compounding works wonders.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks, Bill don't want the paint sticking to anything but the hull. Roberta, I might buff it out. Haven't decided yet.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi Matt,

Lookin' good.

How much paint did you go through to put down 5 coats? I've got a quart of the same color for my squirt, and don't plan on any primer either. Just need to know if I need to order more or not. Also, I assume you used the cross linker on each coat? And did you thin it at all?

Thanks,
-Jim

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 am

Jim, I used about 10-12 ounces on each coat. My boat is 17 feet. The red doesn't hide well. My wife pointed out that red paint in general is notorious in that respect. The color is nice in person, a very classic "boaty" looking red to me. There were a lot of chunks in my can. Dad and I took turns stirring for a long time but it didn't really help. I recommend straining each batch of paint. I used crosslinker in each coat. Thinned about 10% as recommended for rolling and tipping. If it's humid it's easy to keep a wet edge. If not roll a much smaller area before you tip.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 am

I did the flip Saturday with lots of help from family and friends. We ate pizza and brownies afterward. I have a YouTube video of the flip. https://youtu.be/0VAozt9RuxI Here she is on the trailer back in the shop.

IMG_20170212_081300306.jpg

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Congrats! 50% down, 90% to go :D
-Jim

Return to “Power Boats”