Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Another Geronimo Coming Soon

Postby hoodman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:39 am

Thanks for laying out that procedure, Bob. It's sure helpful to lean on the experience of others. Funny enough, I've been looking at impact drivers. I'm thinking about getting a corded one that Lowes carries. That way when I get to the point of sheathing the hull I know I wont have to worry about running out of battery. Plus its a lot cheaper. I bought my Li-ion hitachi drill right as the impact driver craze was starting a few years ago and didn't think I needed one. I should have bought the combo kit.

A little update: I've finished encapsulating all the frames 2 coats. It seems like it took forever but I'm sure it was a lot easier to do this now. This weekend I plan to build the transom. Maybe I'll go get my lumber for the building for too! I feel like getting the frames on the building form will be a big milestone in my mind. will be able to see the shape of the boat a little bit better than just the frames sitting on sawhorses. I plan to make the building form long enough for the stretch and if I decide not to do it I'll just cut it down after. I'm almost leaning towards not doing the stretch since a lot of people are saying to do it, but that's just me I'm weird. I'll probably end up with a little bit of a stretch if not the full 10%.

dmac

Postby dmac » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:49 am

FWIW- A comment on stretching a hull made by a very experienced NA:

"It seems stretching/scaling questions endlessly fascinate....What if? I was talking about this with [well known wooden boat builder] the other day, his experience equals my own, that stretching almost any boat just makes it better. Usually this take the form of re-spacing stations. Almost always this results in a boat that floats higher as the underwater volume increase is greater than the structural weight increase. This works out because boats are perennially overloaded. The boat is faster due to longer waterline and finer entrance (and exit). She's more comfortable in a sea because the longer hull bridges waves better and pitching is reduced. Righting moment goes up because that's a function of displacement, but righting arm length does not increase because beam has not changed. The rail goes underwater at the same heel angle but it takes more force (wind or whatever) to heel the boat.

Just stretching a hull is good, if you leave everything else alone."

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Yep, if I had a little more garage length it might have been good to stretch my Geronimo 10%; Glen-L the NA says that's okay but no more... And actually here at the NASSCO shipyard in San Diego they have stretched quite a few large tankers and cargo carriers and they know what they're doing. Of course they're also reinforcing the keel. However, if I had the room, and wanted a longer boat that I felt safe with out in choppy offshore waters, I would have gone with the Roustabout, a 17' deep vee design rather than stretching a 16'. As long as your boat is still strong enough after stretching, and not a flat bottom. Glen-L should know!
(In WW2 Henry Kaiser built over 2700 reciprocating steam flat bottom cargo vessels in an incredibly short time; one problem was that with the flat bottom and length, in a very heavy sea some of them broke in two right at the foreward end of the superstructure and they sank, one reason they were dubbed "Kaiser's Coffins" (among other reasons). I spent some time on one in the 60's and believe me that was on your mind. :( )
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 am

dmac wrote:"The boat is faster due to longer waterline and finer entrance (and exit)."

For a displacement hull for sure. Not sure about a planing hull. I bet it wont make much difference in speed.

Anyways, here's an update:
I absolutely RUINED my layout table. Made a nice transom though. Going to get some 2x6 lumber for the building form today.
Attachments
IMG_20141005_185930_548.jpg
IMG_20141005_140915_943.jpg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:26 am

I now have the building form put together. :D I have everything leveled and plumb but I think my set up members are slightly bowed so I'll have to figure out how to fix or compensate for that. I'll probably add some more triangulation to it as well. I don't want it moving when I'm in there with a chisel and hammer.

I am wondering what this means. "Up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount." How does spacing the frames a proportional amount work out? Say I want to add a foot to the design. Would I just add 1.5 inches of space to each of the spaces between the frames? Or add a % to the spacing between each frame.
Attachments
IMG_20141008_095952_795.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:22 am

Matt

There appear to be 5 spaces from the transom to the stem. The boat is 16'1"=193". 10% is 19.3" divide that by 5=3 7/8". Say 4".

If you want 12" divide by 5 = 2.4".

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:12 am

Ok thanks, Bill, that's what I did. I was trying to over complicate it in my mind.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 am

Matt

We all over complicate things from time to time. Then, OH! that wasn't that big a deal after all.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Looking good Matt, that boat looks so much like a smaller version of mine, it's uncanny.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 am

It is shaped very similar. Glen got several boats from that shape. I think its going to ride a lot nicer than my flat bottom jon that I currently have.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:56 am

An update with a couple of pictures. I've got about 1/8" wedge shaped gap between where the keel will be straight and the transom knee. Don't worry I'm not using OSB for my keel.
Attachments
IMG_20141028_103358_006.jpg
There's a small wedge shaped gap here between the transom knee and where the keel will go. Any suggestions? I think if I bend the keel in to be flush then I'll not have a straigh line in the keel to frame 4 like it should be.
IMG_20141028_103247_700.jpg
The transom is now installed on the building form and I have double checked the angle. With a little shimming I was able to get it dead on.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:23 pm

well I ripped down the board that I was going to use for the keel and then realized that it was curvier than the blue ridge parkway. Should be able to use shorter sections of it later on but it is not suitable for a keel. I'll have to use some other boards instead. I was going to have to do a scarf joint anyways. Just feel bad about wasting wood out of my already dwindling pile of white oak.

jprice

Postby jprice » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Regarding the keel issue. What about routing or chiseling the notch in the transom a little deeper to make it flush with the knee. Then just make a slightly thicker keel. It should all work itself out during the fairing process.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:43 am

Here is another method of making a scarf joint. I had resigned to cutting the scarf joint with my hand plane. I was about half way through the first piece when I thought of this. I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this but I wanted to share in case anyone is looking for a way to cut a scarf joint without having to build some kind of a jig.
Attachments
IMG_20141106_091814_824.jpg
Made saw kerfs down to just above my layout line for the scarf joint
IMG_20141106_092558_385.jpg
With a 1 inch chisel I popped out the material between saw kerfs.
IMG_20141106_093921_540.jpg
After a few minutes with the hand plane and I'm almost there.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I have dry fitted the keel. Everything is looking good and lining up well. The wood takes a natural curve sheerward forward of frame 4 which will work out perfect since the keel needs to begin curve into frame 5 and the stem at that point anyways. Next I will anchor the frames down to the building form and get the stem installed.
Attachments
IMG_20141109_171644_461.jpg

Return to “Power Boats”