Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

froberts

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Post by froberts » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:39 pm

While I know that this is for the Yamaha 70, it should give you a better idea of dimensions required.
Attachments
Template_Outboard-MidF70-SP_Page.jpg
Fraser

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 am

Thanks, Fraser. I wonder if there is a way to set the tilt-up limit on an outboard if you have a motorwell setup that won't allow it to go all the way up.

This picture doesn't look like much has changed but a lot of thought has gone into all of this. I added some more blocking to the motorwell sides and added another 3/8" to the motorboard thickness. I'm using some of my 3/4" nails for this. The bill of materials calls for 1 pound of 3/4" nails but only has you use them for the keel lamination. After that, I still had about 15 ounces of them left. There are a couple of other irregularities between the BOM and the fastening schedule but nothing to really cause much trouble.

Then the other part is an athwartship brace that will align everything and partially support the rear decking and bulkhead. The next step is to glue this all in permanently.

Also, I think I have changed my plan on a fuel tank. I'm going to go with one that will fit underneath the motorwell instead of the port side compartment. The only downside is that it's only 13 gallons instead of 19 but I can always bring a five-gallon can along to top up if I know I'm going to do a lot of miles (Chattanooga run). If it really becomes a problem in the future I'll add a second tank.
IMG_20180322_085243339.jpg
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

froberts

Post by froberts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:34 am

Looks really good Matt! Yes, I believe that there is a way to set the maximum tilt angle on outboards.

How wide did you end up going for the motorwell opening? I've been spending a lot of time thinking about where I want my fuel tank to go. I'm putting a rear bench just in front of the motorwell, at what point do we have to worry about too much weight being in the back of the boat? 250-350lb outboard, plus 2 people weighting approx 350lbs, PLUS another 100lbs of fuel seems like a lot

Thanks for posting as often as you have been, it really helps keep me motivated and thinking about the next steps.
Fraser

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 am

It does seem like a lot of weight in the back. But I have done a 1-foot stretch and the driver sits well forward of the CG. Also, if you read the description in the catalog you can have I/O or v-drive power totaling up to 500 pounds. Of course there is no modern I/O combination that comes under that weight but it gives you an idea of the weight that the boat was designed for. I'm also planning a bench seat just forward of the motorwell bulkhead which is frame 1. It might sit a little stern heavy under a full load of passengers and fuel but hopefully minimally due to the stretch. If it's really bad after launch I can switch to a bow mount fuel tank at some point. But I feel like I'm pretty much going as designed. The plans show fuel and batteries in the stern it ought to work out.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 am

froberts wrote:Thanks for posting as often as you have been, it really helps keep me motivated and thinking about the next steps.
You're welcome. I wanted to cover the motorwell especially. Not because I'm an expert or anything but so that y'all can learn from my mistakes.
Matt

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm

:D could mount a small fuel tank forward.just cause it's there doesn't mean it has to be full.or are you gonna put the big honking anchor up there :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

froberts

Post by froberts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Matt, do you remember how much paint you used for your bottom? You mentioned about 12oz per coat, and about 5 coats..so almost 2 full quarts?
Fraser

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:51 pm

froberts wrote:Matt, do you remember how much paint you used for your bottom? You mentioned about 12oz per coat, and about 5 coats..so almost 2 full quarts?
Yeah that sounds about right. That's to the waterline. The red WR-LPU doesn't hide worth a darn. I think that's true for most red paints for whatever reason. So since I didn't use the primer it took extra coats. Other colors should hide better.
Matt

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 am

These things were an exercise in frustration! Measured all the angles with a t-bevel, cut carefully, still don't fit right. Anticipated a 30 minute job and it turned into 90. And the whole time I'm wondering if they're really even needed at all. At least all this will be hidden. It doesn't have to be pretty.
IMG_20180328_093815641.jpg
Matt

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am

:D Are those little board ends to hold up floorboards so when fastened,the screws don't puncture hull? :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am

No, they are to back up the drainage limbers in the battens. Maybe you can see them if you zoom in. It's in the book somewhere that he suggests you do it.
Matt

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 am

:D sorry,Matt.Is that the transom I see? I can understand one wouldn't want standing water anywhere.seems like there might be a little as the bilge pump might not get it all.I've read somewhere that salt water kills mold,maybe a box of pickling salt would be handy to have along.maybe I need pickling :lol:(looks like the salt water debate really stirred a hornets nest on the wooden boat forum)

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah that's the transom. The lowest point in the hull is between frame 4 and 5 though so that's likely where at least one pump will go.

I love pickles.

I'll make the flooring removable so I can clean the inside of the hull if necessary.
Matt

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:28 pm

I can’t remember on your build, are you going without drain plugs? It takes a fair amount of water before a bilge pump can pick it up. I take a shop vac to the interior after being on the water. It flat out worries me to have any water in the boat for more than a few hours.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 am

Matt, I had always planned on adding transom drains. If I mount the bilge pump on top of the keel between frame 4 and 5 I think I'll still have to have a good 3 inches of water down there before it will kick on. It would be good to be able to let most of that water drain out on the boat ramp after I pull her out. Then I can sop up the rest with a towel when I get home. I'm glad you said something. I need to do the drains before I permanently install the gas tank.
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”