Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Matt: We've all blown through self imposed deadlines. I know I've said for the last four years it will be flipped by Thanksgiving and I'm still working on the hull. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Yup,

I was sure I could finish the Vera Cruise in 3 years. 4 years later I flipped the hull. 2 more years and I have a goal to get it in the water in Spring of 2020. I am sure , like Bill, I will be "Finishing it" for several years after that! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:37 am

The punchlist on my boat is getting way smaller with all of the most complicated bits already largely accomplished except for the windshield and rear bench seat (which needs a hinged bottom and back for access). Luckily, I don't have to worry about a cabin with all the extras that comes with.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:43 am

I'm dialing in the deck fairing. It's all starting to come together!

Yes, it certainly is. Your build is looking terrific!

I know what you mean about the floor.It's hard to get that curve right up in the bow. I ended up cheating and the floor only goes to jut under the front seat boxes. It goes further outboard under the head box, but still short of the chine.

Carl, don't know if I'm understanding your issue precisely or if this is something that will work for you, but I had an issue with being able to get enough floor under my feet in the front seat, without raising the floor higher throughout the whole boat, which would cause other issues in regards to seating height. The solution I used was a raised area just in front of the front seats along with a raised pedestal for the front seats.
DSCN0527.JPG

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:11 am

Howdy Matt, she's looking good, I really like the seat. Having the dash and the wheel on must be encouraging and puts a perspective on it while you're building I would think. It's taken me 5 yrs and 4 mos to build my Geronimo. I'm thinking I may have some "post-partum" depression now, especially since I may have to do more home projects at my wife's urging. Bob
Attachments
runabout 048.jpg
serious doubts at that stage!
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:14 pm

The old man and I got the deck plywood cut out today. Very satisfying to see it laying in place. Also, it's great to have dad close enough to come and help out once in a while!

I discovered that the front deck is about 1/4" out of symmetry port to starboard. I think that's pretty good!
IMG_20180428_124904264_HDR.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Matt, making quick progress these days. She looks great and I can see the day coming when this same view will be shot from a lake somewhere!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:06 pm

1/4" out of symmetry? Sounds to me more like it's within 1/4" symmetry, that's great! You're making great progress, awesome
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun May 20, 2018 2:43 pm

One half of the front deck is now glued on finally. Too many weekends with stuff going on lately have taken their toll on my progress lately. It went on really easily with ring shank nails. I had a couple of locating screws but otherwise all nails. I applied the glue, screwed in the locating screws, and drilled a few holes at a time for the nails as I went. A lot faster and easier than sinking a bunch of screws.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 pm

The front deck is all nailed on. In a way that was the last big glue up. The rest of the decking should be a breeze.
Attachments
IMG_20180522_211923538.jpg

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Nicely done Matt, looks great. I know what you mean about the ring shank nails, they are quicker than screws and combined with driving them through the epoxy they will hold great. While I used all screws to fabricate my frames, when I laminated my keel I used the nails which worked great and will serve the purpose. I'll bet you are glad the big pieces are done now, all downhill from here.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed May 23, 2018 2:46 am

Nice progress, are you glassing and painting your deck or going el natural wood decking? The Geronimo is a very versatile design, looks good either way.
I’m looking forward to seeing your boat, I’ve never met a Geronimo in person.
Matt B

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 am

Glass and paint with bright sapele accents. Many have done a veneered deck and I thought that's what I wanted years ago. Then I started seeing pictures of the old Thompsons with painted decks and how clean and simple that looks.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed May 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Great seeing your progress. I like the plan, I think thats a great look and user friendly.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu May 24, 2018 7:35 am

Nice progress Matt. I think the painted plan is good too. I'm still up in the air on my deck. But I was originally going to veneer the exterior of the hull to get that woody look, but decided I was not going to have the energy to maintain it later in life. So I switched to a paint design about 4 years ago.

You might want to diverge for awhile before it gets too hot and start encapsulating the interior. Its going to be hot under that deck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”