Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Postby hoodman » Thu May 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Interior encapsulation is done thankfully!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat May 26, 2018 7:17 pm

The side decks are attached except for a piddly little 10" section in the back. The upside is that there will be a butt block right where I wanted to mount the aft cleats.

IMG_20180526_124427073_HDR.jpg

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 am

It's almost as if you planned it!

Looking good, I hope you will be able to make a splash this year.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 am

Looking good, Matt!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Cool Matt. I am so tempted to take on the deck next on my boat but I just need to be patient and complete the other stuff first. But it's one of those signs of progress that I am really looking forward to. I am sure you are feeling quite satisfied right now.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu May 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Planing off the end grain of plywood is one of my least favorite boat building tasks. But I got a good jump on it this afternoon.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 pm

Matt - What are you using to plane it? The glue sure does a number on a block plane. I love my Festool Rotex 150 in Eccentric mode for this task to get it close because its super fast, I don't have to sharpen it, and I don't have to worry about tear out.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:07 am

I'm using a Stanley #4. Sharpened up and set aggressively I guarantee it will cut faster than any orbital sander without any need for PPE. I do need to re-sharpen both blades now. The extra mass of a #4 over a block plane will help you here. Although there are times I wish I did own a block plane.

I have avoided a lot of the sanding that some of you guys do buy using my planes. I don't say that to criticize but just to point out that shavings are a lot more pleasant than dust.

I have also recently discovered the joys of the card scraper. Such a simple re-sharpenable tool that can do away with a lot of sanding. Now I'm on the hunt for a cabinet scraper.

I'm no hand tool purist (I don't think it's valuable to exclusively go one way or the other). I do own lots of power tools as well. But through the course of building this boat, I have come to appreciate the value (not just monetary) of the more traditional hand tools.

But speaking of monetary value, I could outfit a whole shop with cheap restored hand tools for less than the cost of one Festool sander. Again, Milhouse, this is not a criticism I just don't have that kind of cash. Well maybe, but I don't know if my wife would be happy about it. :wink:

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Matt,

I totally agree with you, I too have a hand plane collection that I refurbished; I have even made my own wooden hand plane. I also love hand scrapers they are great! I just thought you might be looking for an alternative because end grain is indeed a pain to work on :D

Note that with Festool Dust extractor there is almost no dust that escapes into the shop :) I know its crazy expensive for a sander but I now that i took the plunge I love it and can't imagine life without it.
Attachments
planes.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:29 am

That would be really nice for sanding the epoxy after fiberglass. I might try to hook my shop vac up to my Dewalt and see if that helps when it comes time to do epoxy sanding. It may coat everything in the garage with dust anyway but it would be nice if it helped a little.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:29 am

That's cool that you made your own plane by the way.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Howdy Matt. I did a lot of sanding on my boat when it was upside down, all the resin layers, paint coats etc. For the heavy sanding where fairing was important I used my block sanders - plywood in 3" widths and varying thicknesses, 18 to 24" long with handles on the ends and sanding belts glued on - that really cut the glass and left a heavy powder easy to sweep up and vac. But what really worked for me was wet sanding - I used the black wet or dry paper on rubber blocks, and just let the hose run on it as I sanded; it's amazing how fast the wet sanding cuts thru the work and how smooth it leaves the surface. What made it easy for me is that my driveway slopes downhill, and I'm up on a hill - so as I sanded with the block in one hand and hose in the other, the water magically ran off the boat, out my driveway and down the hill - voila! - no mess. Don't know if it was environmentally correct but it just looked like someone was washing their car.
By the way, wet sanding will leave a surface smooth as glass. This can lead to "fish eyes" in your paint finish - the surface is so smooth that instead of laying out flat the paint tends to coalesce - like when you run water over an oily surface it will bead as opposed to "wetting out". After many paint coats and still getting fish eyes no matter what finishing method, for a final sanding before painting I always dry sanded with 220 grit. The paint needs a little bite.
Well I had my new Geronimo out six times - we decided to trade in my 2011 Silverado on a new one so we'd have no issues taking our boat on a trip. I took it back to the dealer after only having it 10 days to investigate a ticking sound in the engine compartment, which I feared was piston slap from a main bearing problem but was hoping for something like a rattling dipstick tube. Well, it's been at the dealer since May 16th. They've replaced the water pump, part of the active fuel management system and now the crankshaft and main bearings. They've had it 16 days. I"m hoping for tomorrow to get it back - 30 days without it in the warranty period it's a lemon and gets bought back, but right now I wish I had my old truck. Oh yeah it's a new 2018 Silverado, they gave me a Colorado loaner but I can't pull my boat with it. Shoulda rebuilt the 2011 for sure! Bob
Bob

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Bob, thanks for the tips on wet sanding. I'm driving a '12 Silverado and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. It has run absolutely perfectly ever since I bought it. The only thing I don't like is the cheapo rear drum brakes that came on it. It's not the biggest and baddest truck out there but it's what I could afford at the time and has done everything I've ever asked it to do.

I rolled on a seal coat of epoxy on the deck. I remember having a hard time filling all the screw holes on the bottom. The raw plywood would soak epoxy out of the fairing compound drying it out as I filled and scraped each screw head. This seemed to cause me to have to make multiple applications of fairing compound in order to fill the screw divots. Hopefully, the seal coat will make it go easier.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:55 am

Now on to gluing the motorwell/aft deck area. Unfortunately, I am nearly out of wood flour. I'll either need to get a cheap coffee grinder to make my own or order some more. The upside is that I don't really need that much more! The two aft side deck pieces are the last two I'm epoxying into place. The floor will be attached with 3m 4200 or equivalent. I'm planning to put the rear bench together with wood glue. Same with the windshield if I can get my joinery tight enough.
IMG_20180606_100619997.jpg

froberts

Postby froberts » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 am

Your build is really coming along! What dimensions did you go with for the motorwell?
Fraser

Return to “Power Boats”