Matt's Geronimo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Ozzieboat

Re: Matt's Geronimo

Post by Ozzieboat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Having used the same light on my Monaco I had the same problem and considered all of the suggested solutions. As the lens is not sealed water can enter through there, so I left the gap at the bottom so any moisture can drain out and the internal cavity is well vented.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:49 pm

so I left the gap at the bottom so any moisture can drain out and the internal cavity is well vented.
Love it - It's not a Bug its a Feature. :D :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

How deep is your motor well Matt? I'm trying to decide if I can get away with a similar gas tank arrangement. My main concern is I am unsure how much gas I might use in a given day using an ETEC 90 to 115. I don't plan on motoring a lot, but it will happen.

The gas tank mounting looks good. Are you going to run the fill line over to one side (port from the looks of it)? One thing to keep in mind. Moeller has something about leaving a bit of room for expansion on the tank when first used.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

The motorwell is about 22" deep. I'm pretty sure that compared to the 90, the Etec 115 has an extra cylinder. But I doubt fuel consumption is dramatically greater. There should be some boat tests on Evinrude's website for that particular motor that you could look at to get an idea of GPH. Just look for one that has a similar weight boat to yours.

I was originally planning to fit a 19 gallon tank in the port compartment and it would fit but harder to install. So I went with the 13 gallon and I think it's going to work out really well. I can always bring along a 5-gallon jerry can. The fill will be directly above where you see it on the tank on the port side. There's room on my boat for a second tank if I really wanted. You'll have even more room than me. You could probably easily fit the 19 gallon. Here are the Moeller options under 20 gallons: http://moellermarine.com/product-catego ... n-20-gals/

I read about the tank expansion. That's what the neoprene is for. To keep the straps tight but still give room for 3% expansion.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 pm

My .02 on fuel tank capacity. Install a tank big enough to satisfy your longest outing without relying on a 5 gallon jug. I’m upgrading my Malahini from a 15 to a 20 gallon tank. 20 gallons will get me from Hale’s Bar Marina to Chattanooga and back.

We can waterski and tube all day on 15 gallons but running my 2 stroke 90hp at 35 mph with 4 adults for 70 miles sucks it down.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 am

Based on Evinrude's boat tests on heavier boats than mine I should be able to make the trip on 13 gallons. The jerry can will just be insurance. Regardless, I'm going with what I've got for now. It can add a bow tank later if it really becomes a problem.
Matt

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

Howdy, my experience on fuel consumption so far with my 90hp etec in my Geronimo. I have a 14gal tank and have the same idea to bring an extra gas can when we make longer trips. But so far - with three or four adults - we've been out in the bay for 1 1/2 or 2 hours, running around at 25 to 35 mph, and I'm using about 5 or 6 gallons it seems. I keep an eye on the tank, the gas gauge was reading close to empty with still about 3-4 gallons but that's because the fuel is sloshing around - that's when I headed back in because I figure if it' sloshing around it may suck air.
I just got a new truck after waiting almost a month without being able to use my boat - first one was a lemon and the dealer finally gave me another new truck. My wife and I are taking the boat out this Sunday, first time for my dog - it should be interesting but he'll be going with us in the future and will have to get used to it. We've had the boat out 6 times so far. Usually in the bay - when I get home the boat is encrusted with salt top and bottom so I always have a few hours cleaning it afterwards! Matt, you're gonna love your Geronimo, it's a great design. It's amazing how it can slam the chop so violently and still be intact. Cruising along at 35mph and hitting choppy waves it makes a real loud "cracking" noise, it sounded like the plywood was cracking. I'm glad I did pour-in-place foam under all the decking except the bilge because it provides stiffness to all the panels under the waterline - that's gotta help. If the panels were flexing I'd be worried. Bob
Bob

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Bob, that fuel consumption sounds pretty much in line with my expectations. It also sounds like you're getting the hang of the boat! Maybe instead of hearing a "crack" think of it as a "smack."
Matt

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Matt,

You guys that can constantly stick with a project for year after year amaze me. You must definitely have boating in your blood.

BillJ

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:07 am

BillJ wrote:Matt,

You guys that can constantly stick with a project for year after year amaze me. You must definitely have boating in your blood.

BillJ
I think what happens is that we decide to build these beauties, it takes a bit longer than we thought, and we don't want to give up.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 am

Giving up was never an option. Also, if we hadn't had a baby and then moved I would probably be done already. But life happens and you have to play the long game if you wanna build a boat. Unless you're retired, but even then there's only so much you can do some days before you have to stop and wait for epoxy to cure.
Matt

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:18 am

And the most important thing is try and do something everyday if possible, even if only for 15 minutes. For example, yesterday was yard work day and garbage day, in addition to making dinner. All of this after working all day. But I spent 15 minutes sanding some parts for the seat boxes on my boat. 15 minutes closer to completion.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 am

Excellent replies gentleman. I can see me asking this question often to all of you who are in long-term projects and or have completed such a demanding task. I definitely can understand where daily effort will win the war in the end. Hopefully I've matured enough by now to follow through. The one thing that I have realized in the past few years is how much less I accomplish in a certain amount of time. I'll be constantly checking behind myself and hopefully have already developed enough strategies of personal motivation to see this through. Again, huge respect and congratulations to those of you who are or have completed one of these impressive vessels.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:31 am

Everything takes longer than I think it will. Usually double. I don't always get something done every day but lately I have. The thing with me is that the boat never really leaves my mind for very long and I have always gotten back to it. The hard part of building a boat is not each individual task or the skills they take but the commitment and the ability to stick with it no matter what.

In boat progress news I am getting much closer to fiberglassing the top decking. I think the motorwell will be a pain but I hate to skip it and regret that later. I drilled the hole for the drain plug and filled it back in with a thickened epoxy plug. I'll drill that out and install the plug later. I am just going with one drain hole on the port side of the keel. Whatever else the pump doesn't get I'll just sop up with a towel after "mooring" in the garage. I also figured out how to mount the battery tray. A couple of angled blocks cut to just the right size and glued to the hull and one of the battens. Another thing I did was add a negative bus bar near where the battery will be for the fuel system ground, anchor light ground, and whatever else ends up going back there.
Attachments
IMG_20180622_130220830.jpg
IMG_20180622_130126484.jpg
Matt

riplash

Post by riplash » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Hey Matt,

Being a former West Lafayette resident, I am wondering where you are going to splash your boat when you get it done? In the Wabash, Tippecanoe, or Lake Schafer, or Freeman, or the peat bog in Otterbein. I need to make it up to Indiana sometime in the Fall, to visit family in Lafayette, Indianapolis, Terra Haute and Brookville, so seeing you and your boat would be cool if we don't get to see it at the Gathering.

Cheers,
Ryan

Return to “Power Boats”