Cabrons Zip Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Cabron

Cabrons Zip Build

Postby Cabron » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Hey Guys. Just one week into my build and have I nothing in front of me. Geez...How long is this gonna take! Seriously...My plans are at the Post office and unfortunately I will have to pick them up
tomorrow. Once I review the plans and read through my Building in Plywood Book I can get started.
Likely in a couple of weeks. I spoke with an electrician about getting a couple of outlets installed in my car-port and hard-wired into the electrical panel. 300.00 for that! Total of 450.00 spent already!
In the mean time I`m going to clean out my Car-port and figure out what to do with my motorcycles.

Can anyone recommend the big tools for the Job? I should probly buy a Table Saw and a Band saw at least. What do ya think ? Thanks....

Josh

Roberta

Re: Cabrons Zip Build

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:49 am

Have fun with the Zip build!! Great boat!!! If you can afford the table saw and band saw, Great!! But you can get by with a circular and saber saw. The table or band saw will be nicer for ripping larger, longer pieces. A chop or compound miter is nice to have, too. If you don't plan on more boats, try to get wood milled closer to your needs and save the money and not buy the expensive saws. But id money is no object, get a good band saw like the Laguna 14SUV. I love mine.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:05 am

Josh. It is a great boat to build. I have just finished mine and am enjoying it a lot.
Now as far as tools, If table saw is out of the question then buy a good power saw and 2 good blades 1 plywood and 1 cross cut .
Then build your self a straight edge to use with the power saw to make straight cuts.
The other tool that I recommend is a good Saber saw (Bosch makes a good one. They also have a lot of different blades that you can use to do different cuts with out tearing up the Marine plywood.
A real good sand is a must have tool.
Jeff

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:39 am

Enjoy your build! Keep us updated.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 am

Great boat choice, but then that's what I built.

Perhaps you need an agreement like I've had with my wife: if she gets a new kitchen gizmo I get a new tool.

Tool selection has been beaten to death here, use the search feature to find old discussions on that topic. Boats have been built with little more than a jig saw by some, and with a shop full of monster tools by others.

Perhaps decide if paying less for 'rough cut' lumber and buying big boy tools to size it is worth it, versus buying already dimensioned lumber.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for the Tool suggestions guys.

I really love your builds and I`ve looked at them thoroughly. Your Pictorials are
extremely helpful. Thanks for putting those up for the newbies like me.

I see there is a fair amount that can be done with the Jig saw, so I`ll start with that.
Likely I will buy a small table saw. A chop saw I have and certainly a multitude of clamps will be essential.

I picked up my plans last night and dove right into them! Talk about straight-forward...Wow!
they are a breeze to follow. The Zip is smaller than I had imagined and so I was surprised
to see the size of the patterns. The number of parts to its construction is minimal too. This
will be a great first time boat for me..Actually, it will be perfect for the room that I have.
I`ll be able to build the frames on my work table in the Man Cave comfortably.

Just like on the boat models that I build...I can see that the finishing is what its really all about.
This is the real labor intensive part of it all. Sanding..sanding...coating...coating...painting...painting.

Likely I will build the whole form and Epoxy it, then glass it and paint it in the Spring.

Back to work.

See ya.

Your Zips are really wonderful to look at. I truly admire your dedication to building something
of extreme beauty. I`d better stop now...I`m getting all excited!

Josh

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Depending how fussy you are about the finished product you might consider epoxy encapsulating each frame as you go. It's easier to do than crawling around inside the framework, but adds time!

Carry on and maintain that enthusiasm! Another ZIP on the go, there were five of us ZIP'ers at this years 'Gathering'. Perhaps see you at next years.

PS: I'm a displaced Canuk originally from Sudbury, Ontario - cheers Eh!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:27 pm

This is me. A Man with a plan.

I understand the annual Meet is in Utah this year. That is a long drive
away from me. I`m good for about 40 minutes behind a car wheel
and then I start to doze off. My wife does all the log distance stuff.

I don`t think I`d be able to make the meet this year. With having
to work for a living, what would normally take about 4-5 months to
build is going to take a year and a half! Oh` Well...No rush.
what`s a year and a half when you`re 50....Nothing!
A year goes by in a blink!
:)
Attachments
Zip build Pics 025.JPG

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 pm

I`ll definitely be pre-coating everything. I`m really not that
interested in crawling around in tight spaces and painting epoxy.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 am

Cabron wrote:This is me. A Man with a plan.

I understand the annual Meet is in Utah this year. That is a long drive
away from me. I`m good for about 40 minutes behind a car wheel
and then I start to doze off. My wife does all the log distance stuff.

I don`t think I`d be able to make the meet this year. With having
to work for a living, what would normally take about 4-5 months to
build is going to take a year and a half! Oh` Well...No rush.
what`s a year and a half when you`re 50....Nothing!
A year goes by in a blink!
:)
no the Utah/Arizona meet is not the annual meet but the western one the regular one is at Hales bar Tennessee. You of course welcome if you can come to it in Utah there is air travel available to location that is if the government is working by then :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 am

Hey guys. So...I finally have some time and some money to start my build.
Just to be clear, my first question is, Are the frames built from 3/4" ( finished thickness)
Plywood? And what about gorilla glue, is it a good glue for the frames etc. I`ve never used it before.
Hopefully I can do the frames in a couple days. The transom plan has the cutout for the motor. Is it
the cut out for a short shaft outboard?

I am so excited to get started on this project. I`ve been reading and surfing on the net for inspiration.
Saw the Thompson Thomboy in Wooden Boat Magazine. What a beauty!

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:54 pm

O.K. I realise now the frames are mahogany or oak and the gussets ply
The instructions say 30` approx. I`ll have to figure out what the best width
of the frame/plank material is. Just want to say thanks to Chris-Vupilot
for posting all his construction pics on the Zip. They will be invaluable
and will save me a lot of grief. Thanks Man!

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Cabron wrote:Hey guys. So...I finally have some time and some money to start my build.
Just to be clear, my first question is, Are the frames built from 3/4" ( finished thickness)
Plywood? And what about gorilla glue, is it a good glue for the frames etc. I`ve never used it before.
Hopefully I can do the frames in a couple days. The transom plan has the cutout for the motor. Is it
the cut out for a short shaft outboard?

I am so excited to get started on this project. I`ve been reading and surfing on the net for inspiration.
Saw the Thompson Thomboy in Wooden Boat Magazine. What a beauty!
You can use what glue you want its your boat but I would use thickened epoxy myself why spend all the money to have it fall apart
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Glad you found the pics helpful!

I would use epoxy. The Glen-L poxy-grip is already thick for structural gluing so all you have to do is mix the two parts together and its ready to use and helps support the people that make these plans and this forum available. Most other epoxy brands will need to have thickeners added to the mix for structural bonding. Later you will use the thin epoxy for fiber-glassing, water-proofing and finishing. I used Glen-L poxy-shield for this but you can use those other brands straight without the thickeners as well. Be sure to read up about "amine blush" and mix in small batches.

As for the transom cutout, yes, it is shown with the 15" cutout that dips down. Its meant to fit outboards that measure 15" shaft length. That is measured from the cavitation plate just above the prop to the mount where it rests on the transom. https://outboardcovers.com/leg.htm
I liked the look of the low hung short shaft motors and the cutout for them so I went with that. If I built another Zip that is the one thing I would do differently. I would have made mine for a 20" shaft. There simply are more 20" shaft motors out there these days so you will have more choices when looking for a used motor. Also, the steering hookups for a 20" shaft will be easier because its all above the motorwell/deck height so the cables all come out the deck instead of the side of the motorwell where clearance and motor-well framing can be an issue to deal with. If you're going with a new engine you can still order them either way. I'm actually keeping an eye out for a newer engine now and not ruling out converting my transom to long shaft if I find the right motor but I'll stick with short shaft if I can find one.

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm

That`s great guys. Thickened epoxy I will use then. I`ll leave the Transom cut-out alone for the time being until I investigate motors.

I cleaned off my work table and layed out my plans...It feels good to have a clean table to work on finally. I`m looking them over intensely and measuring
out exactly what I will need for the frames. Some 6 and 5" wide stock ought to do it.

Tonight I`ll buy myself a good notebook and maybe hit the tool supply store and look
for a decent level and some blades for my jig saw. I just hope I can get a good vertical cut with the
jig saw. Or maybe I will buy a band saw.

There is going to be a lot of trips to the Lumberyard. Here we go!

Your build pictures are fantastic Chris, and you Zip`s a Beauty! Thanks again

Josh

Return to “Power Boats”