Re: Cabrons Zip Build

Postby Cabron » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 pm

One more.
Attachments
Zip July 27 Bimini Top 014.JPG

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 am

Nice addition Josh, really adds to the look of the boat!

Perhaps you could add some velcro at strategic points on the fabric to aid in tightening it up?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 am

I love the convertible top!

SCWooden

Postby SCWooden » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Cabron wrote:You can order it from these guys. They have lots of cool trim moldings.

http://trim-gard.com/

Thanks! Having terrible time trying to get a rub rail on due to extreme flair on the bow. Woodworker here that works on wooden boats quoted $3,800 which I don't have.

I did put on a two inch rubber/vinyl one from auto store but it's affected by salt and gunwale strap has pushed it down.

You guys probably build them from scratch :-(

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:01 am

You could cut your own trim from stainless steel pipe.

Mathematically, you can get three strips of 1 inch wide radiused 'rail', from a 1 1/8" pipe. Saw and edge finishing would cause some loss leaving your finished width somewhere between 3/4" and 7/8"?
A 1 1/4" pipe should give you plenty to keep it at 1 inch strips.

Polish and drill. 8)
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:15 am

You have a very nice looking boat.

Craig

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Gents,

Loving looking at all the wonderful boats being built on Glen L.

I have not done much on my boat for a while. It is finished I think. I still haven`t had it out on the water. No time

I keep looking for things to do on it. I think I will put in a couple of digital voltage meters for the batteries
and buy an audio system. I did buy a cool looking 3` whip antenna . I don`t particularly need the audio system
or the antenna. but I`m having lots of fun playing with the aesthetics. I will likely buy the poly -planar box speakers too
and also have a pro make a White Bimini top over the winter.

Now that my Zip is finished I can dream of the next boat that I`m going to build. That likely won`t be for a couple of years
but I sure like those Tolman skiffs. I need a boat for the Ocean. We have some stunning coastline here in Vancouver British Columbia.

Craig, your Sea knight is a beauty. I did consider it as a possible build. Perhaps one day.

There are so many wonderful boats that one could build. It`s so difficult to choose.

Cheers.

Josh

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:58 pm

I took my Zip out today for the fourth time. It was a smashing success. With the 25 Merc it reached 26mph according
to the speedo. Plenty fast at 26, theres really no need to go faster than that. The 2 stroke is a noisy beast at high speed I`ve learned.
It`s almost unpleasant . Kind of spoils the ride a bit.

My first time out, the motor was only running on one cylinder. Had to replace the switch box.
The second time out I was having idling problems and a massive rooster tail from the transducer.
Fixed those 2 things along with the air fuel mix and had a very successful third solo run.
Oh` I also angled the motor out a hole, the prop was in the water a little two deep.

I think I finally figured out how to back up a trailer. It takes a few times out to get the hang of it.

The Zip runs straight and true and is really well balanced. It turns well and puts up minimal spray.
The foredeck gets no water on it at all. The hatches up front are safe.

Other than the Zip being a little on the small side, it is a real beauty. Great for a first time builder. A thoroughly
satisfying build. It is easy to trailer and is pretty easy to maintain. I give it a rinse and a dry when I`m done, along
with flushing the motor with fresh water and also pulling the fuel line and running the carb dry.

For those of you that have painted aspects on your boat and love to fuss over getting that perfect finish, I will say,
don`t sweat it too much, the boat will look great with an 8 out of 10 finish. Your boat is also going to get a little dirty and get
scuffed and scraped too. It will still be an awesome boat because, you built it!

Check out my Zip walkaround on YOU tube.

One of these days I will post some footage of the ZIP in action.

Keep on building.

There`s nothing better!

Now what in the heck am I gonna do?

Actually...I have some great plans!

Cheers.

Josh

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:48 am

Great Job! Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the 25 is giving good performance. I also run mine on the second hole position.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:33 am

Awesome! It's a great feeling isn't it?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:24 am

vupilot wrote:Great Job! Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the 25 is giving good performance. I also run mine on the second hole position.

Hi Chris,

I actually run my Long - shaft on the 3 hole out. My cavitation plate sits at 1 1/4 below the hull bottom.

Thanks again for posting all your progress pictures as you did. I pretty much used your pics your reference.
They have been invaluable.

Josh

:)

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 am

Andy Garrett wrote:Awesome! It's a great feeling isn't it?

It is a great feeling Andy that is for sure. The build is definitely the best part.

I love a challenge and the build certainly offers that. Mentally and physically it was super
stimulating. The build gives a great sense of purpose and offers great rewards. You know what I`m talking about.

Thank you for your posts and pics, they helped me a great deal too.

Josh

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:43 am

Glad to hear you got all this worked out Josh. Too bad the cold season is upon us, but think how fun next summer will be!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:58 am

mrintense wrote:Glad to hear you got all this worked out Josh. Too bad the cold season is upon us, but think how fun next summer will be!

Thanks Carl. Yes, unfortunately winter is coming. I`m going to have to figure out what to do all winter.
I will likely work on some of my plane models and prep for another boat build. Of course I will be following all of the wonderful boat
builds on Glen-L. Your build looks great! You will always remember the build. It`s the best part.

Josh :)

Cabron

Postby Cabron » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Took the ZIP out a couple of days ago with its new 25 Mercury 4 stroke. Still braking in the motor...but WoW !!
what a machine. Starts up with a quick turn of the key. Super quiet and flawless with the power trim.
Cost me 5 grand. On the payment plan for 100 a month

Goodbye noisy 2 stroke. You were a pain in the butt.

I highly recomend a four stroke for performance, reliability and piece of mind.

What a summer it`s going to be....Awesomeness !!!
Attachments
ZIP June 2017 013.JPG
ZIP JUNE 23 2017 (1).JPG

Return to “Power Boats”