Cabrons Zip Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Cabron

Re: Cabrons Zip Build

Post by Cabron » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Glassing done.3 coats of resin. Scraping, Sanding and Fairing next.
Well I certainly learned a lot about glassing and working with epoxy.
I only wish I knew then ( when I started glassing ) what I know now.

The fraid/fringe/ salvage edge is the edge you want to use when your doing overlaps.
Had I know this earlier I would have cut the glass down the centre Keel and taken advantage of
that salvage edge. I did not. I ended up cutting the glass where it folds over the side and ended up having stray glass strands that became problematic. The salvage edge does not fray when you pass over it with the epoxy applicator tool. I`m working in 50 degrees so my method of choice is to either pour the epoxy on the surface and move it around with the plastic squeegees, or dab blobs of resin on the vertical surfaces, at 8 inch increments, and move it around with the plastic squeegee. I cant roll at all in 50 degrees. The boat is cold. The roller does not move well and certainly doesn`t spread the epoxy evenly.
In 70 degrees I`m sure the epoxy would move with the roller but in 50, all the roller is good for is doing a final Passover or tipping as it is sometimes referred to.

80 inch skeg with glassed gasket .

Learned about the vinegar for cleaning my hands, scissors, squeegee and other stuff.

Todays Saturday. I won`t be able to sand likely until Wednesday. The cold really slow down
the cure time.

Here some pics.

Josh
Attachments
Zip Feb 22 003.JPG
Last edited by Cabron on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Pics
Attachments
Zip Feb 22 010.JPG
Zip Feb 22 005.JPG
Zip Feb 22 004.JPG

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:35 pm

pics
Attachments
Zip Feb 22 025.JPG
Zip Feb 22 019.JPG
Zip Feb 22 012.JPG

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:37 pm

The best pic of the bunch. :lol:

Gotta keep those squeegee edges nice and clean
Attachments
Zip Feb 22 026.JPG

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:23 pm

After Laying down the Fiberglass and 3 coats or Epoxy, I sanded.
then, I laid down 2 more coats of epoxy and then really sanded for about 12 hours.

Applying epoxy in 50 degrees really screwed me up. It wouldn`t roll, so I had to spread it on. I made
a bit of a mess and had to fix that mess. I have since picked up 3 - 1500 watt, forced air heaters.
Now my workspace temp is up to 65-70 degrees. Things are much easier now.

I now have 3 coats of high-build epoxy Primer on. In a few days, I will sand that and likely
put on a bit more fairing compound here and there. The Primer really makes the flaws POP!
I looks pretty good now, but I might as well spend an extra week Fairing and Sanding.

Once the final Fair and Sand is done, I will put on one last coat of primer and then start the paint.
I may go with Black Below the waterline. That was my original color choice. Shiny Black will show up every flaw though. I`ll see what my canvass looks like before I make the final color decision. Black Bottom, White sides, Wood Top is the Plan.
Attachments
Zip March 7 008.JPG
Zip March 7 001.JPG
ZIP March 3 002.JPG

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:23 pm

That sure looks smooth from here! My arms hurt just looking at that! :D

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Don't know if you have picked what kind of paint you will put on the bottom. Many have used a topside paint but it seems those that went that way don't get their continuously wet for any length of time and some have had minor issues with trailering damaging the paint.

I used Interlux VC Performance specifically designed for bottoms for up to 60 days afloat. The stuff seems bullet proof. Boats been afloat for over a month at a time, scads of launches/retrievals and literally thousands of miles trailering. I did have a pro shoot it. Looking Great.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:01 pm

I am sore for sure.Not painfully so but I can feel it. Building boats does work the muscles.

I`m using a 2 part " Steelcote" Epo-Lux "Master Mariner" Brand, Epoxy Primer and Paint.
It`s what they had at the place I shop, so I`m going with it.

So far in my build, I`ve used about 1 Gallon of Epoxy Resin, 3 Quarts of Primer, 1 Quart or so of Fairing Compound and a Quart of Epoxy Glue. I`ll need another half Quart of primer, a half quart of fairing compound, likely another Gallon of Resin and a Gallon or more of paint.
Oh`... I will also need some money to pay for it all.

:)

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 am

I took a break from the boat building for a couple of months and decided to focus on work and one of my RC Boat models.
A few days ago, I said, "That`s it" time to finish up that hull, and Woo Hoo!! I finished my paint this morning. In a couple of weeks I will have that flippin Party. Man does that epoxy paint ever stink. The whole house reeks.

I`ll need to see what I can find for a trailer in the meantime. Thank goodness the Hull construction is over. What an exercise that was. Enjoyable, but the friggin sanding was at times, a real drag.
Flip Pics in a couple of weeks.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri May 09, 2014 10:41 am

I love the smell of my paint (Supermarine Ironsides). It smells like Laffy Taffy!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Managed to find a 12` Runabout for 500.00 on Craigslist as the donor Boat.
It looks like it was a sweet little boat at one time. The transom is totally
rotted so it`s destined to the dump.
Managed to get some really great seats, windshield with canopy frame,
steering column, Motor with controls and Gas tank, cleats, Bow eye, transom eyes, and the trailer.

Originally I had my sights set on a brand new 4 stroke, but it`s just not the budget,
so I will be fixing up this 35hp 2 stroke. The motor looks super clean inside which is a good sign.
I don`t know much about motors but I`ll buy the manual and dig in and see what I can make of it.

Next week I`ll chop her up and take her to the dump. In the mean time I`m building a nice little
motor stand for the 35.
Attachments
Donor boat for ZIP 005.JPG
Donor boat for ZIP 001.JPG

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon May 26, 2014 4:28 pm

If that hull is fiberglass, just have it hauled off on a flatbed tow truck--it cost me a hundred bucks when I added the dump fee.

I tried 'chopping mine up' with a chainsaw. It dulled the blade in short order and the mess was catastrophic!
Andy Garrett

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon May 26, 2014 5:22 pm

At the very least, wear a Tyvek suit and a respirator. That fiberglass can be nasty stuff when it gets into the air. Take it from someone who used to work on this material all the time.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Mon May 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, I wondered about the mess I would make and the glass flying everywhere. I was preparing to be well dressed for the job. The clean up would be messy as heck and most likely cover the garden and everything else in the back yard with glass dust and splinters. I think I will have it hauled off. I may have to at least chop it in half. The process does sound kind of dangerous and I wondered about that. Never chopped a boat before.

But for some reason if I do decide to chop it, what else should I know?

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 pm

I got halfway through the first cut and the chain stopped cutting. The fiberglass gets REAL hot and kills the temper on the steel. Even if you sharpen it again, it won't hold an edge.
Andy Garrett

Return to “Power Boats”