Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

John56

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by John56 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:13 pm

You Rock!! I learn something every time I read a post from you.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks, John!!!

Today I did not get much done again. Laundry and other distractions. I did get frame 2 cleaned up and test fit it to the stringers. I also ripped some wood for frame 3 (the last frame Yahoo). In the pics you can begin to see how this boat vastly differs from other boats. The lower part of the hull does some interesting gyrations as the sides go aft towards the transom. You can begin to see how the cowl in the aft part of the deck is forming. As I get frame 3 and the transom mounted, along with some longitudinals, it will be more apparent what it will ultimately look like. The sides split at frame 3 where the upper part form the cowl/boat tail and the lower part continues aft to the transom.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Frame 2 002.jpg
Frame 2 004.jpg
frame 2 006.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 am

Question about resaw blades. I have a 14: Jet band saw. I just bought the 6" riser for it. It will need a 105" blade. Was at woodcraft supply yesterday looking at resaw blades. I bought a Timber Wolf 3/4" x105" 2/3 TPI. My question is this, the salesperson said he was not sure the 3/4" would run and stay in place on the wheels so what do you all use for a blade.
Jeff

John56

Post by John56 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:01 am

3/4 in blade will work fine for a 14 inch band saw. Anything bigger might drag down power though.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 am

Right now I have a 125" 3/8" 4TPI blade that I use for ripping, cross cutting, and cutting curves in the frame parts. It's basically the blade that came with the saw. I have ripped 1" thick boards 17 ft but this is not the best blade for that. The blade I am getting for resawing and ripping is the 125" Laguna 1" Resaw King blade. It is carbide tipped 2-3 TPI variable with an .041 kerf.

Roberta :D :D

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 am

Roberta I was at Woodcraft supply yesterday and they have the band saw you have on display with that 1" re saw blade.
That's a mighty wicked looking blade, sure outta make re sawing a breeze.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:47 am

It is a dandy saw, to be sure!!!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Today I was able to plane the wood for frame 3 and draw the pattern on the layout table. I also cut the boards to the pattern and cut the gussets out. I then mounted frame 2 on the stringers temporarily and drilled the stringer clips. Can't permanently mount it yet as I need to attach the gussets (nails coming Monday).

I estabished frame 1 at a setup level of 6". Frame 4 was at 7 1/8". Frames 2 and 3 are 6 3/8" and 6 3/4" respectively. This works out to keep the keel in a straight line between 4 and 1 and there is supposed to be a slope. Since the frames are set 26" apart, the setpoint is linear as it should be. Basically the only setpoint that was off any significance between 1 and 4 was 3 and that was due to the centerline being off on the frame pattern. Adding 3.5" to that corrected that error. I should have all the framing on next weekend after Thanksgiving and will be working on the transom after that.

Mannanj

Post by Mannanj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Roberta Hegy wrote:Right now I have a 125" 3/8" 4TPI blade that I use for ripping, cross cutting, and cutting curves in the frame parts. It's basically the blade that came with the saw. ---- The blade I am getting for resawing and ripping is the 125" Laguna 1" Resaw King blade. It is carbide tipped 2-3 TPI variable with an .041 kerf.

Roberta :D :D
That blade alone retails for more than I wanted to pay for a bandsaw! Woodcraft has a Laguna 14in. SUV at full price ($1699) but they throw in that blade for their "sale" (thru the 27th Nov. 13). OH NO! Just remembered, there's sales tax on top :(

Guess I'll have to sell my car. Anybody wanna buy a Miata?????
Msgt. Mannan Thomason USAF (Ret)
Bucket List Check Off In Progress
Starting Barrelback

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:50 pm

I can't wait to try that Resaw King on my SUV. I ordered the blade last week and will have it later this week.

UPS delivered my nails early today so I was able to finish frame 2 and get frame 3 on the layout table and one side of the gussets and floor timbers were glued, nailed, and screwed in place. Tomorrow I'll clean up 2 and mount it on the stringers and finish the other side of 3. Frame 3 is the frame that needed the width increased 7" overall. I moved the centerline out 3 1/2" and redrew the bottom frame members to meet the new centerline. I'll be able to set the frame in place tomorrow to verify the changes were correct and integrate into the rest of the boat frames.

Roberta :D :D :D

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Is this gonna be some record for verifying, modifying AND building a boat??? :shock:

Seriously Roberta (well, not really serious), you are putting us all to shame..... :shock:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

John56

Post by John56 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Are you going to epoxy frames before you hang them?

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:43 am

Thanks Track!! It helps to be retired and I can spend a lot of time building that most people, ordinarily, don't have. I would say I average about 25-30 hrs a week.

John, I have already hung most of the frames without epoxy coating them, but I will be coating them before the longitudinals start going on. The frames are very big and it will be easier for me to coat them now that they are hung on a stable form. Not sure if I will use epoxy or CPES. I have enough System Three General Purpose Epoxy to do the job.

Roberta :D :D :D

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 am

So Roberta, before retirement life what did you do if you don't mind me asking.
Just curious.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 am

I worked for We Energies for 40 years. 17 in the equipment division working and testing all types of vehicles and equipment, then as a Sr. Quality Assurance Tech in Nuclear Power for 11 years, and finally I worked in substation maintenance as a Doble Tester. I tested transformers and circuit breakers on equipment up to 345KV. Got most of my wood working knowledge watching "This Old House" then applying what I learned to projects that interested me or I needed to do. I've been a hands on skilled craft/technician all my life, which really gives me an edge on making things happen.

Return to “Power Boats”