Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jlwright

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by jlwright » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 am

And she can build a pretty mean airplane too.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:16 am

You realize I now need to buy all new hats. The old ones suddenly got small!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 am

Roberta

When you were in QA/Nuclear did you ever deal with the PIM (Pooled Inventory Management) Program?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 am

No. Did a lot of nuclear auditing, vender surveilance, commercial grade audits, and internal auditing of the appendix "B" stuff. Glad I'm out of that meatgrinder!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I was not always popular!! :? :wink:

Got frame 2 finished and mounted today. Also finished the gussets and flor timber on the other side of 3. Setting it in place, everything is looking great!! I'll get it mounted along with the deck beam after the Thanksgiving Holiday and start the longitudinals and the transom.

Happy Thanksgiving and don't eat any purple turkey!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Roberta on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 am

I had my sentence to QA also. :evil:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am

I hear yah!!!

Roberta :wink: :wink:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm

I was in AR visiting my mom and stepdad over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Got back on Friday but have been so busy shopping and setting up for Christmas. I only have about 400 more lights to put on the tree!! :shock: :shock:

I did manage to get frame 3 all cleaned up today and ready to mount. That will get done tomorrow as I needed some longer bolts for the double floor timber to stringer clip attach point. More shopping tomorrow. :lol:

I did pick up my Resaw King blade on Saturday. I had a 20% off coupon so I saved about $43.00 on it. They claim it can be resharpened 5 times for about $50.00 a pop.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Roberta

I understand. I lost 2 days, buying and setting up the tree... I did get "15 minutes" of work, on the boat, which is invisible for pictures.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Mannanj

Post by Mannanj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Roberta:
Let me know how that resaw blade works. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Laguna SUV Bandsaw. It came with that blade as part of the package and they had a New Member sign-up of 10% off. The total, delivered on a Liftgate Truck to my door was about $375 less than what it would have been had I bought them separately without the discount. (Plus saving state sales tax!)

Maybe I'll save some money by re-sawing heavier timbers for my Barrelback build :wink:
Msgt. Mannan Thomason USAF (Ret)
Bucket List Check Off In Progress
Starting Barrelback

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 am

Roberta. If you have time how about making a video of your band saw and new blade resawing some wide boards. I would like to see how well that saw and blade work together. Will you be using a resaw fence.
On my 14" Jet bandsaw I just bought a 6" riser block and a 3/4" 3tpi 105"blade and can resaw about 11" wide boards. Don't think I will ever need to resaw that wide, but tried it doing 6" wide Mahogany 5/4" thick and it did a real good job, just buy using a right angle set up gauge and free hand free hand feeding.
I need to make a fence so I can set it up for the drift I get when cutting.
May be yours does not do that.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:48 am

I feel your pain, Bill!! This year we bought an artificial tree and need to put the lights on it. I bought 1000 green zip ties to anchor the lights permanently. Rich wanted a pre-lit tree, but as luck would have it, I liked the unlit one better. My bad!!! :lol: We're putting 735 LED lights on it. :shock: Probably need sunglasses to look at it. :lol:

You're going to love the saw, Mannanj! I will be ripping the keel and chines soon and maybe splitting the chines and laminating them. That will give me an idea how well it resaws. Resawing planks won't happen until the deck starts going on. I'll see if I can get some kinda movie, Jeff. I just have the standard dual position fence, but I think it will suffice as I probably won't resaw more than 8" anyway, and that will only be for the coverboards.

Roberta :D :D :D

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:23 am

Forgot to mention I got an early Christmas gift yesterday. My Raptor stapler arrived from Glen L. I will be using that along with Glen L's Poxy Grip and 1/4" Raptor staples to do the cold molded planking. I plan on 3mm Okoume for the plywood planking. It was a little early to get these items, but I took advantage of Glen L's Thank you discount and saved a bundle. Thanks, Gayle!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 am

Nice....I hope Santa brings me one too!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Bill, I am so looking forward to stapling the planks and not have to pull the staples back out again.

Got the last of the framing on the stringers today. Things are looking good. I'll be marking up the patterns and sending them off to Glen and Gayle just as soon as I complete the transom and get some longitudinals on.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Frames all on 001.jpg
Frames all on 004.jpg
Frames all on 011.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Really looks great Roberta.... Nice job, as usual... I am not sure exactly where the motor placement will be on your boat, but you may want to consider moving the frame-to-stringer clips to the outside of the motor stringers in that area to allow for motor beds to be fixed to the inside of the stringers. You may be OK, just a thought...Also, you could go with longer than 1/4" Raptor staples for planking. If the stapler is anything like the brad nailer, it will shoot the longer ones in with plenty of power and with nothing showing on the surface. You really are amazing...I look forward to your posts every day...Neel

Return to “Power Boats”