Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by Roberta »

Probably going with 304 or 316 for the exhaust.

This week I've been working on the sole sub bracing. I'm running athwart joists supported by the stringers with resting points out along the sides. Plywood will make up the underlayment with carpet on top as the finish. I wanted something nice for my toes. :lol: Part of the sole will be permanently attached, while part will be removeable to access the bilge area to service equipment and seat attachments.

Today, Rich and I sealed the inside of the hull with Smiths CPES. I plan on a coat of epoxy resin over that, followed by a mahogany bilge paint. We hope to have that all done by next weekend. Then I can start installing the many pieces I have completed and needed to remove for sealing and painting. I have the steering components ready. The bow deck battens can be put back on and the cockpit sole and flooring can be installed. The motor should be here in about two to three weeks. Then new and even more interesting work will begin.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

kens wrote:
Roberta wrote:I don't think they do, Ken. Did Mandrel Bending Solutions bead your elbows?

Roberta :?:
Yes, they did hose beads.
I thought they had 4".
Call them and ask, maybe the webpage is not complete.

Do NOT get 409 SS, it rusts.
Well, it rusts if it is welded, such as mine.
409 SS (not welded) is holding up ok, (not real pretty though)

Did you coat the weld with pickling paste? Any grade of stainless will go rusty at the welds unless cleaned up with pickling paste.

Cheers
Mojo

kens

Post by kens »

Tell me about the pickling paste, never heard of that, please.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

304 or 316 should be fine in freshwater. 316 will stay shinier. In saltwater 316.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

http://www.pelox.de/stainless-steel-pickling

I had some 316 stainless that I had welded that was corroding around the welds. A professional welder friend told me about the pickling paste you are suppose to use. From what I gather it cleans up all the impurities that get deposited during welding.

Cheers
Mojo

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I keep finding things to do that are messy and want to get them out of the way before painting and engine install. Still waiting for the engine anyway, so I might as well keep busy.

The notches are in for the aft shears and battens. Today I finished the rough installation of the aft deck planks. These are just temporarily installed, but I thought you might like a preview of how the aft decking is going to look like.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
aft decking 002.jpg
aft decking 006.jpg
aft decking 007.jpg

jenko

Post by jenko »

looks fantastic Roberta ! can really see the shape now

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

These views really illustrate how the Torpedo build is similar to building another inverted hull AFTER the flip--except it is pointing aft and smaller.

It's all there: stem, frames, chine notch, keel, everything.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Wow, Roberta, that is going to be really cool. The lines are very evident in the shots. As usual, I am continually amazed at the progress you make. Thanks for the update.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

kens

Post by kens »

Andy Garrett wrote:These views really illustrate how the Torpedo build is similar to building another inverted hull AFTER the flip--except it is pointing aft and smaller.

It's all there: stem, frames, chine notch, keel, everything.
Yeah, I see it now.
I had asked Her about those lines earlier, the transition from the sides to the torpedoe stern,
Very nice.!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Benj269

Post by Benj269 »

Is there a rendering of the completed boat somewhere in this thread? I couldn't find one and Glen L doesn't list it in their plans catalog.

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

here is the one on the website before it was taken out of circulation
Attachments
Torpedo.jpg

slug

Post by slug »

If you compare Roberta's plan and profile to the original drawings, there are some marked differences I think. IMO an improvement with the wider aft deck. Or am I totally out of line :?
Doug

Benj269

Post by Benj269 »

I don't think the aft deck is any wider than the drawing. Pictures have a way of playing tricks on you. The deck does look a lot better in build than in the two-view drawing.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thanks, Everyone!!!

I think the reason the aft deck look's a little wider is the absence of the shears and cowl planking. Some of the plywood sub-planking will be trimmed away once the shear line is established. Before I added the decking, the whole aft section looked a little disproportionate. It was hard to see the actual lines and slope of the cowl and decking. I was somewhat concerned and thought I might need to alter things. Look's like Glen really had a good vision of what was to be. The drawings give a clue, but the reality is more revealing and will be very attractive. Good Job Glen!!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Power Boats”