Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by neel thompson »

Roberta, You may want to look into that flex coupling we talked about a while ago. It is about 3/4" thick and I think you could bolt it to the transmission flange and then the prop flange. It will take out vibration as well....Just a thought.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Yup, I'm looking at that and the tapered shaft coupling as well. I have a straight shaft coupler now that I will be using with my 1" stainless tube to align the engine to the shaft. Once I get everything lined up, I'll see what kind of room I have and the accessibility. That coupler is really pricey!! :shock: But when have I ever worried about that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

It is pricey but really a nicely designed unit. I know I don't have any vibration at all, but not sure if that is because of the coupling or the hours I spent aligning everything up initially!!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I'm hard coupled and haven't had any problem. I've checked the alignment a few times and it seems to hold. But, my output is only 3100 rpm.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Good alignment is certainly conducive to less vibration. Neel, what coupler do you have and who's flex coupling? I picked up a Buck Algonquin straight coupling that is really heavy duty. If I have clearance issues, I may stay with it and add the flex.

Right now my plan is to get everything ready this week and start the engine install Turkey Week. I conned Rich into taking off so we could spend a lot of time setting everything up. I can use my coupler and the tube to get the initial alignment. Then, if I have room, I can withdraw the shaft enough for the flex coupler and order the shaft and taper coupler, if desired, or stick with the straight coupler and order a keyed shaft. Decisions...Decisions!!!

Roberta :D :D :D

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Roberta, Here is a link to the one I think I bought. Can't find the receipt....I hope this link works for you.. http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?section ... pling&sn=1

trisailor

Post by trisailor »

Roberta- here's who I went with. Very satisfied.

http://www.getaprop.com/content-categor ... saver.html

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thanks, guys!!! I'll look into those.

Today Rich and I finished the hull encapsulation so now I am ready to start some serious building again and installing some of the parts I've been making over the last couple of months. Planning on getting the steering and rudder in the aft end, fuel tank mounting pad, motor mounts clamped in for test fitting and setting the bow battens and strongback, and some of the sole beams. I'm also setting the anchors for the lifting eyes. I've been sizing up the motor and where the preliminary placement of the mounts will be. I also trimmed frame # 3 to allow the bellhousing to fit into it. This was the frame that had the double plywood floor timbers that Glen said would need to be trimmed. Lots to do again besides spreading epoxy. Yippeee!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

kens

Post by kens »

Earlier I had mentioned nutplate for one handed access in the bilge to torque the drive coupling.....
Well, I forgot that I already have that.
I have a 'Globe Drivesaver' disc in my coupling.
Effectively like the nutplates in that you can torque it from the head side of the bolts.

It is a plastic composite drive disc about 1" thick and is made for whatever drive flange you have on your tranny.

Google 'Globe Drivesaver' and you can see it.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Ken, Does that Globe Drive Saver bolt to the transmission flange with the socket head screws and nuts and has threaded inserts for the hex head bolts so nuts are not needed for the prop shaft flange?

Roberta :?:

kens

Post by kens »

Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thanks, Ken! I like that setup. As soon as I get the engine in to check all my clearances, I will order it.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

This week I've been working on the fuel tank base and sealing sole parts. They were a bit sticky yet today so I decided to work on the motor mounts, since we are going to try and set the motor next week. I'm using sections of 3/8" by 3" by 3" 6061 T6 aluminum cut to allow some fore and aft adjustment. I pre-drilled the holes in the AL and clamped them approximately in place. Once we get the motor in, I'll be able to see what adjustment will be necessary. It look's like I will have the room for the tapered motor hub and the flex coupler. I'll know next week once everything is in place and I can make sure I have good access. I'm using my 1" stainless tube and a 1" hub as a guide to preliminary test fitting. Once I get good alignment, I can drill in the bolt holes through the mounts and anchor them. Then I can order the correct prop shaft and fine tune everything.

I'm also using a piece of the T6 as a spreader across the stringer extensions as the base for my front lifting eye. Two half inch u-bolts will hold it to the stringers and a 5/8" threaded rod will connect it to the eye.

Roberta :D :D :D
Attachments
motor mounts 003.jpg
motor mounts 004.jpg
motor mounts 005.jpg

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Your process is really dialed in Roberta--I guess that's experience at work. :wink:

I'm excited to see this develop, as it may be the only Torpedo ever built. Can't wait to see the motor go in.

Since this is your third boat, and you've also built at least one airplane, perhaps you are the right person to be featured in a full length documentary of the home building process. Such videos are common in other pursuits. For example, many books and videos are published in the world of knifemaking and the associated arts (my other passion). Boatbuilding has, curiously, little to offer in that realm other than the few books available through Glen-L.

Don't we have a few film makers in the forums here?

Keep it up Roberta! She's looking great!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Beautiful work Roberta! I like your idea for the lifting eye! I am paying very close attention to your build as I will be going through the same (or very similar) process when I get my motor for my Monaco. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Return to “Power Boats”