Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by Roberta »

Here is a link to the system. It is pricey. I'll let everyone know how it works once I launch the boat and get it calibrated.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/water_flow.html

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Thanks Roberta. Neat addition I think for us OCD folks. I mean you can monitor engine temp but it would be nice to possibly catch an issue before engine temps get high. Impellers can fail quickly and if you had the optional alarm on it then you could shut down quickly and swap it out or clean the sea strainer. You did install a sea strainer right?

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing a report on this dude. :P

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

YUP!!!

Attachments
Strainer 002.jpg

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Got the second coat of Epifanes Poly-U on today. The third will go on tomorrow. I sanded the surface with 800 and cleaned before the second coat went on. I will do the same for the third. Hopefully this will do it and I can caulk the deck seams and buff everything out next week.

I started to adjust the bunks. I knew I would need to do some adjustments. Loadmaster did a good job of getting things close. Now I can tweek them the way I like them. I may also redo the carpet and add some padding under that like I did on the Zip Trailer.

My daughter-in-law Tanya does graphics and she did the ones for the Torpedo. I put the ones she made for the trailer on today. Also got a new plate for the Explorer.

Attachments
Poly-U, trailer 004.jpg
Poly-U, trailer 002.jpg

obd

Post by obd »

Roberta, would you mind briefly reviewing how you are finishing your deck( coats of epoxy, coats of epifanes, grits of sandpaper in between, rolling, tipping, etc)? If you had chosen a bright finish for the hull, would you have done it similarly to the deck? I appreciate your experience and have admired the beautiful luster you have achieved with your finishing work.
Thanks, Bob

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The deck was sanded with 80 grit, stained with Sandusky and Interlux filler stains, allowed to dry for a week+, cleaned with DuPont Final Klean, two coats of System Three Clear Coat, sanded with 220 after 1st coat, allowed to cure for two weeks, sanded with 320 with longboard and 6" RO sander, cleaned with laquer thinner and Final Kleen. Now I am coating with Epifanes two part poly-urethene clear gloss. It was sanded with 400 on long board and RO sander after the first coat and scuffed with grey scotch bright. The second coat was sanded with 800. I just put on the third coat. I use DuPont Final Kleen for all my cleaning before painting. I use RedTree rollers with the phenolic core. They are the only rollers that can stand up the the solvents in the Epifanes Poly-Urethanes. Anything else I have tried falls apart almost immediately and will ruin your paint job. Even the RedTree rollers fall apart about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the deck or bottom. I have extras on hand. I do not tip paint or varnish ever. The bottom was done with Epifanes Blue and white Poly-U and the same way I am doing the deck. A bright hull would have been done like the deck with the stains and the clear gloss.

I use 1500, 3000, and 5000 grit 3m Trizact sanding pads to clean the paint of dust and dirt that falls on it ( I don't have a clean paint booth, just a hangar). Then the paint is buffed using the 3M finese products and foam buffers.

Roberta :D :D :D

obd

Post by obd »

Thanks so much! I and I'm sure many others will be bookmarking this! You should write a book!! :D :D :D

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thanks, but really, I just follow the instructions on the cans. Epifanes really knows their products. They have a Beauty Secrets book that is a very good guide to getting a good finish. There is a lot of work and a lot of time spent getting a good finish. I most likely will do some more sanding and painting next winter because the coatings tend to sink into the wood and need to be refreshed. Many builders and restorers plan on a redo soon after the first finishing job because of this. The bottom will last longer because it was painted over the fiberglass cloth and UV won't affect it as much, but even that sinks in over time.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Fourth and last coat of Clear Gloss went on yesterday. The finish is looking pretty good and should buff out nicely. Today I removed the masking between the white and the stained wood and wet sanded the white sides to blend in the transition from what was painted when the hull was upsidedown to what was painted after the flip. I went from 800 grit to 5000. Tomorrow I will start the white caulking in the deck board seams. I have 4 cartridges of 3M 4000uv to start with. I don't think it will be enough, but I should be able to gage how much more I will need. Once all the caulking is done, I will let it harden up, and then wet sand the Clear Gloss and compound the entire deck and the sides. Then Final Assembly will commence!!!!YAH!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I'm hoping to start sea trials in about two weeks. :D :D :D :D :D

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Roberta

I can't wait to see her. On the Tahoe, I think I used more than a case of 4000UV. My planking was 1/8" thick. When you are smoothing the seams, I use a plastic spoon, at the first sign of a pull get a new spoon. You will also be better off if you don't try to "fix" the pull.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Are there 12 in a case, Bill? That's seem's about right.

Roberta :D :?:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Roberta

As I remember 12 to a case. We did the cockpit sole also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I'll get a good idea later today when we run the 4 we have through the air caulker. I'll give a pirep on the caulker, too.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D I thought it was 24 cans in a case.Oh you're talking caulking.oopps me bad -thinking about something else. :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Roberta

How far does the bezel stick out from the dash on the hydraulic steering? I'm trying to locate a VHF. It looks like the best place is within the wheel swing. I don't think it will be in the way. But I need to check clearance.

My other cases have 24 too.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”