Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by hoodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:33 am

It will be good to have a "full size" tow vehicle with that amount of weight going from Wisconsin to Tennessee.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 am

Yeah!! I thought we would be under 4000 lbs, but the trailer is very heavy and the boat weighs in pretty high, too. I know we would exceed the recommended max GCWR once loaded for trips. The Explorer seemed OK for local towing, but we like to boogie down the highway and think it would be too much for it. And the extra room in the Expedition will also be a plus.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:49 am

:D Nice looking video.Appropriate video area too-Next video was Ferrari test drive. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 am

What a sweet sound when you accelerate! Congratulations on a successful "first flight". The launch seemed pretty uneventful, which is a good thing. So, how are going to give rides to all the people at the gathering? You can only take one at a time. Maybe you could strap some lawn chairs to the back deck. :lol:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks, Bob!! Rides will have to be limited. First on the list will be my kids and very close friends. After that, we'll see. But viewing will be unlimited. :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 am

Awesome, Roberta. Can't wait to see more! Congratulations on a successful launch.

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am

Here's what ya needed Roberta! Your color too.

The pedo is sweet and don't worry about the Rinker on the seats, nobody gunna see it! You will be a blur when ya pass them. lol

image.jpg
2014 6.7 Diesel Ford Excursion RAD Rides Dallas

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 am

Roberta wrote:Yeah!! I thought we would be under 4000 lbs, but the trailer is very heavy and the boat weighs in pretty high, too.
This has got me worried now. Although I know my truck can handle the weight, I am wondering how heavy my Vera Cruise is going to be. :?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:04 am

Carl, if you use a trailer like the one in the picture you'll probably be ok! It looks like it only weighs about 250 lbs.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:35 am

hoodman wrote:Carl, if you use a trailer like the one in the picture you'll probably be ok! It looks like it only weighs about 250 lbs.
:D :D Also looks like the boat would fall off at the first fast turn!! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 am

Awesome Job Roberta! I bet Glen will be thrilled to be able to see some video of it! When you are just cruising in the video it looks like you are just creeping along but I bet your still going faster than a Zip maxed out. Can't wait to see it!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks, Everyone!!! Gayle, we will definitely have some more pics and video after the Madison Show this weekend. Hope Glen is enjoying.

Billy!! The new Expedition is also that color, or close to it.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:46 am

Roberta wrote:Thanks, Everyone!!! Gayle, we will definitely have some more pics and video after the Madison Show this weekend. Hope Glen is enjoying.

Billy!! The new Expedition is also that color, or close to it.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yeah but I bet your Expedition is WAY cheaper than this Excursion! Salesman says, "141,000.00" WITH CONFIDENCE!

You know, I love my truck. Is it too big for everyday driving? Of course! BUT, when I wanna haul my tractor on my trailer, or hook up to my 24' plastic boat that weighs in at around 8,000lbs, it don't struggle. It just goes and I don't have to worry about it...

I remember saying something about this a while back as I thought you would be pushing it with the Explorer. If you remember I had bought my wife one back in '11 just before you got yours, and hers was a dog. I think you may have had the '12 if memory serves and maybe the next gen motor.... Can't member, but these boats have some weight, specially once you chunk a beafy V8 in them. I loved her Explorer and I can understand you waiting to try it, as yours was fully loaded just like my wifes. One, that's a huge expense, and two, the Explorers drive and feel so good! That's why I waited to get a new F250. I wanted one right after being in her Explorer with all that fancy MyTouch. Ford didn't put MyTouch into the F250s until '12 or '13. As you prolly know, the Japan Tsunami wiped out the software plant that develops all the MyTouch stuff. That's why we had so many software update issues in the Explorers in '11 and '12....

Can't wait to see BOTH new rideS all hooked up. OH, did you go for the Explorer EL?

Now back to your regular programing. :-)

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:30 pm

It's the regular size Expedition. My Explorer is a late 2011 bought in June 2011.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Damn that's a great looking boat Roberta! Its a tribute not only to the naval architect who designed her, but the amazing talents and uncanny craftsmanship of the person who brought her to life.

I can't think of a boat more deserving of the name Glen-L... but I also can't think of a builder I would rather have associated with that name than you Roberta.

Was the launch video edited for sound, because there seemed to be barely any engine noise... just this reassuring hum.

Also, I need to know where you got those windshield brackets. I am dissatisfied with mine, which are too small for my liking.

Damn that's a gorgeous boat.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Power Boats”