Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by kens » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:20 pm

WHAT?? An OJ prop???

On a build such as yours why would you go with anything less than a machined pitch prop???
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:11 pm

I agree with Kens,
I have a Federal dyna jet ,an OJ Legend and 2 Acme 3 blade CNC props. All I use are the Acme props. They perform so much better than the standard props. I use a 13 x 13 for cruising and a 13 x 11.5 when pulling skiers or tubes. Top end is a little bit less than the OJ Legend, but no vibration with the CNC props and much better out of the hole. The surface area of the Acme 3 blades are about the same as a four blade,but higher top end. When you back off the throttle it is like putting on the brakes. Seriously I don't slam the throttle back, it is too much. I have heard the OJ XMP ( their CNC props ) are comparable to the Acme but I have not tried them.

Rich
Last edited by Rich Coey on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flash

Post by Flash » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Roberta,

For a variety of reasons, I haven't been on the forum much since April. I happened to see your Torpedo in the newsletter and looked for more pictures. I was not expecting to find hundreds of entries and several pictures of one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen. It seems like you just started it. It also seems like I started my Flying Saucer years ago. The most amazing part of your build is that you have always given much of your time to help us rookies with our many questions and problems.

I thank you for all your help and I congratulate you on your amazing accomplishment.

Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:40 am

Congratulations Roberta! So great to talk with you on the phone this morning and I know Glen enjoyed talking with you as well. We are all very proud of you. You deserve and have earned every award you receive!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks, Gayle!! I really enjoyed talking with you and Glen!!!

Thanks, Guys!!

Well, after looking at all the options, I decided on the OJ Force 13X13 four blade. I got it right through Glen L. Acme just didn't have what I was looking for. Their options were too similar to what I had or not the right direction. The OJ EMP's were not doing it for me either. I think the OJ will be fine.

$100.00 to get the other prop repaired. It will be a nice spare.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:36 pm

I guess the only video of the Torpedo was just a very short shot leaving the dock. No high speed or planed out shots. I 'll try during our Pewaukee show on the 15th.

Roberta :(

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 am

Roberta wrote:... No high speed or planed out shots.
I'm sure some excellent ones can be had at the upcoming Gathering.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:27 am

No doubt!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: "bucking" aka "porposing"
I'm sure you tried the obvious (weight distribution) but you might also try a pair of (temporary) wedges to give it some "hook".
I would start with no more than a 1/16" wedge maybe 2"W x 3"L. Wood, aluminum or plastic and use some 3M double sticky tape or some of that 200 knot duct tape over in the corner of the hanger. Worst case scenarios are 1. It doesn't work or 2. It peels off. Either way it's a cheap, easy and non-permanent way to test a possible solution.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Roberta

I trust your judgment on the prop. I can't and don't want 60 MPH. Everything is a trade off. More speed may be more pain at the dock. I believe you will come up with the best combo for you.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 pm

I need to do some experimenting yet before doing anything, but the taped on wedge sounds like a viable experiment. I did a lot of searching for the right prop. I can't find a 14" prop that has less than 14" of pitch. Going smaller diameter would require greater pitch and that would really increase speed. The best solution I could find was the 13X13 four blade Force from OJ. The extra blade should reduce the RPMs. The 13X13 three blade was close. Gayle was able to get on it right away and I have the prop in hand today. Thanks, Gayle!!!! I think the speed was not all that bad. I'm just not used to the boat in close quarters yet.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Roberta

I have a 16 pitch. But, I have a 1.23 reduction. So, it's not a lot different than a 14. I just have to go out of gear sometimes.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

themiser

Post by themiser » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:49 pm

I know many have said it and I'll say it again, WOW!!!!!....

I've been gone for several months while moving and preparing for our first child and have had to put the dream of building a boat on hold for a bit. But, at least once a week, I tell my wife that I really want to build a boat. And there is nothing like the quality of workmanship, design, style, and love that you put into your Torpedo to inspire someone to build their own. Your boat is beautiful beyond measure in all aspects of design choices, color choices, and personal flair. :)

The hatch design is fantastic and I would LOVE to see a picture of your boat on the water with the hatch up, maybe even a video of it automatically raising and lowering.. :)

Anyways, as always, your work is an inspiration. If you ever find yourself in the pacific northwest, please send me a message so we can meet up and grab a beer.

Regards,
Sean

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Yup! I let her coast a bit in neutral. Now that I realize that I have to go with the flow of the prop, I'll be able to properly practice my landings. :lol:

Thanks, Sean!!! You're on!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:59 am

Hi Roberta.
I am in awe of your achievement (again). I know also that this was not just a normal build for you, but also I suspect a very heartfelt "homage" to Glen and his designs and service to all of us. For not just your building skills and sharing with us your build, but your kindness and generosity of spirit, I thank you!

As for the handling, single inboards are strange critters, very different from outboards. They really have only two steering modes:
1. Rudder steering once some forward speed is achieved
2. "Prop walk" as you rev the engine.

In reverse, there is little real steering on our types of hulls except for prop walk. Make use of it by going in and out of gear, and revving the engine in little spurts to pull the stern around. Think of it like taxiing and taking off a vintage tail dragger. Spend a little time on YouTube looking for prop walk and inboard docking, there are some interesting videos up there. One of the more interesting items explained that the hull above the prop created a more efficient sideways motion than the green water below, which causes the prop walk effect to one side more than the other. It helped a lot (to me at least) to figure out what was happening under there and make use of it. You will find with a little experimentation that your particular hull and prop rotation will have a tendency to want to go one way or the other, then you make use of that to best effect. You will quickly figure out that she will be much happier (easier to dock) on one side or other, and not always the side you are happiest with. My Gentry is easiest to dock Starboard side, but the helm is Port which makes line handling on your own fun.

Enough of my ramblings. I am very happy for you and thankful for your efforts.

Cheers,
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Return to “Power Boats”