Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Steve S

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by Steve S » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 am

You don't do good work, Roberta, you do great work. WOW!
Steve S
Squirt build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 pm

:D :D :D :D

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 am

Hello Roberta,

I just wanted to say I've been wanting to build a boat for quite some time now, and as I read through this entire monster of a thread and seeing all the processes and detail you put into your torpedo I'm very impressed. At first when I clicked the thread an saw the initial design I didnt think it would turn out as good as you masterfully proved me wrong. I tip my hat and want to thank you for all the details you've explained along the way. Truly an inspiration to future boat builders. That includes me as I decide on what boat style I want to make. Any tips you mind giving someone who is first starting out that you've learned during your boat builds?

Regards,
Kody

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Kody,

Welcome to the Forum. What ever design you decide on, there will be many willing to offer help and advice. Post pictures and ask away.

The Torpedo is similar in many ways to any of the larger cold molded boats. It was challenging being the first as I had no idea of what it would look like and no examples to follow. The hull is very much like any other inboard in Glen's catalog. The difference is where the shear line changes to form the "boat tail" shape. I had the benefit of being able to consult Glen and Gayle on some of the changes I incorporated, like the large hatch. Mostly I followed Glen's design and the resulting shape is what Glen had in mind.

Gayle put together a lot of the construction in the revised plans and the book she put together about my build. As with any other boat, once the hull is completed, it becomes the canvas for the builder to create their own boat.

Glen L has several books about building with plywood and inboard engine installation that are very helpful. The Forum is invaluable. Having an adequately sized space is necessary and heated is a plus if you live in colder climates. A good saber saw, power driver, belt sander, drill press, hand power planer, and a good band saw, especially if you want to resaw wood. Look over any detailed build and check out the types of tools used. There are many and many ways to accomplish the same tasks. Buy as many good tools as you can afford. Borrow or rent what you can't afford and look for sales, especially things like clamps.

Hope this helps you get started,

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Plenty of help, I'll definatly look into some of the tooling. I have some basics such as jig saw, skills saw and a good power portable drill. Only things I need so far is if I can find a good priced one, band saw, belt sander, and a power planer. Also plenty of clamps lol as everyone i see on here says you can never have enough. I'll be starting my own thread tonight with the details I've got planned in my head. Thank you very much and I do hope to glean as much info along the way from you and many other amazing builders on this forum.

Regards,
Kody

Return to “Power Boats”