Postby trisailor » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:47 am

from an earlier Roberta post
Attachments
Torpedo.jpg

Roberta

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Postby Roberta » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks, Trisailor!!!

Yesterday I cut and glued up the other half of the harpin. Today I sanded both of the sapele assemblies and ran the glue side through my planer. Both halves of the harpin were glued and nailed to the plywood portion and clamped to the table for curing. Tomorrow I'll clean them up and start on frames 7 and 8.

Roberta :D
Attachments
harpins 001.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 am

OMG Roberta, I HATE you!! :lol:

Seriously, this looks like it's REALLY going to be a fun build.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 am

What do you plan on powering this build with.
Will the sides and bottom be marine plywood and fiberglassed or mahogany planking.
Sure makes me want to start another build my self
Jeff

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 am

Hi Dave, I'm really motivated by the interesting lines and the unique shape of the boat. I've loved the design from the start.

Jeff, I'll be powering it with a small V8 or V6. The hull will be cold molded plywood like other classic boats. I'm thinking white painted hull with classic deck trim similar to the drawings. Because the boat is so interestingly shaped, the white hull with wood decks will best show off the lines.

Roberta :D :D :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 pm

I cleaned up the harpins today. Tonight I will run them through the planer to finished thickness. There is a little ambiguity on the plans for the thickness (1 1/8" vs 1 1/4") so I will opt for the thicker dimension to match the shears that will eventually tie into them. Gives me more to play with when fairing later.

I need to rip a board down tonight for the frame 7 and 8 members, so I occupied my time laying out the frames on my layout board. I need Rich to help me with the bigger boards. Oh, and the laundry gets done today, too!! I drew out a centerline and horizontal reference line. I also drew the deck beam arc and will use that for the reference to set the frames on the vertical axis. As I lay out the frame patterns, I match my dimensions against the plans and loft lines to make sure everything looks right. Since the "scale" drawings are small and not entirely accurate (Glen advises against using the scale drawings for accurate full size dimensions) I am happy with what I see and feel I can adjust by fairing or adding material later, if necessary.

Tomorrow I will start making frames 7 & 8.

Attachments
Set up 002.jpg
Set up 001.jpg

slug

Postby slug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:02 am

Roberta; I'm assuming you have full size patterns for the frames, and that there is some question about their "accuracy". Would it be possible ( maybe even prudent ) to do a sort of lofting on your shop floor possibly using chalk? I'm thinking using the measurements from centreline out to the chine location at each frame ( similarly for the sheer ) and marking it's location on the shop floor. Then using a long batten, try the points for a nice curve. I don't think this would take much to do and may save you re-doing a frame.
It would'nt be perfect but may help.
Incidently, when I did my 34' sailboat this showed some errors in the lines and offsets. I also learned a freak of nature that applies to the process that I have been able tu use since on several occasions. If you want to fair a curve, it's best to turn around and look through your legs at the curve! :? . For some reason I don't understand, any variations to a fair curve really pop out this way. Go figure, but try it and you'll become a believer.
There was an excellent description of the lofting process in Gougeons first book.

Doug

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks, Slug!! I have been comparing the full size pattern dimensions to the loft lines (1/12 scale), but I think your idea will really help. I'll have Rich help me tonight to set up a centerline on the hangar floor I can work off of. That will help to see if the chines a shears will be fair.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 pm

OK!! I drew out the centerline on the hangar floor and marked off the locations for the framing and longitudinals based on the patterns and build form. Things look pretty good, but there was an issue with frame 7 being too wide at the harpin and the deck beam too high. The drawing revealed the shear was also a bit high at frame 7. I will be lowering the arc of the deck beam to where the width of frame 7 matches the width of the harpin. This appears to bring things into perpective. Thanks again Slug!!

Today I cut out the frame members and deck beams for 7 and 8. Tomorrow I will clean up the deck beams, cut the floor timbers and hopefully assemble the first two frames. Then I will be able to mock them up with the harpins, breasthook, and stem to see if everything jibes.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Today I cleaned up the deck beams and ran all the parts for frames 7 & 8 through the planer. I'm using 4/4 wood so rather than throw a lot of nice mahogany out (and waste my time planing), I planed to 7/8" thickness, enough to clean up the boards nicely.

Since I had the frames drawn out on the layout table, I nailed the two frame pieces in place for each frame and glued and screwed them in place. This will make sure the pieces are aligned properly. I placed small finishing nails at the set up level on the frames to align the floor timbers to the set up level. After applying glue to the pieces, the floor timbers were butted up against the nails and screwed down to the frame members.

Once the glue has cured, I will trim the floor timbers back flush with the frames and cut out any notches necessary. I did not fasten the deck beams to the frames yet as I want to check chine and shear alignment and see if any adjustment is needed. Tomorrow, after I have cleaned up the frames, I will mock the stem and breast hook with the frames to see if all is well.

Attachments
frames 8 001.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 am

I cleaned up the floor timbers on frames 7 & 8 and mocked them up with the stem, harpins, and breast hook. Everything looks good and, as predicted, the frame members need to be shortened between the shear and chine about two inches so they span 71 1/2" athwartship to properly engage the harpins. The new dimensions agree with the loft lines and my floor drawing. Frame 6 appears OK except for the set point and the reference to the stem in the detail. The width of frame 6 is 80 1/2" and that is where I placed the harpin width to determine the width frame 7 should be. You might think that maybe the arc of the harpin is off and that could be a solution. But the loft lines agree with the shorter distance between the shear and chine and the overall height of the frame.

For the rest of the day I will be gluing and bolting the deck beams to frames 7 & 8 and getting ready to assemble the front clip which comprises all the parts I have made to date. After that I will be making the motor stringers and extensions and make the build form.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Mock up of the front clip.
Attachments
bow mock up 002.jpg
bow mock up 001.jpg

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 am

Looking good, this post will be a great help to the next person who builds one if the plans become available Mmmmmmmmm :D Is she a deep V and able for the sea do you think.

slug

Postby slug » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:18 pm

Making good time Roberta. Glad that "lofting" worked out for you. (actually only time will tell for sure, but it seems good )
Did you try the "look back between the legs" trick?
Doug

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Fergy, I think the hull is more like the Glen L Monaco or Riviera. It does flatten out a bit at the stern. There's about a 5 inch rise from keel to chine. I think Gayle will be able to offer the plans once we get all the bugs out. So far nothing difficult to correct has come up. Just need to proof things as I go along. This will be a really neat boat, but I would not recommend it as a first time build. My past experience is helping me a lot with this boat, not to mention what I learned and gleaned from this forum.

Yes, Thanks a bunch, Doug!! You know, I may be guilty of the through the leg eyeballing from time to time. I think it skews everything else and allows you to concentrate on what you are looking at. Either that or all the blood rushes to my head and everything looks better. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jenko

Postby jenko » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm

great work Roberta I too want to see this one back in the catalogue

Return to “Power Boats”