Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Dave Grason

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Roberta wrote:The Pedo is a sweet ride to be sure. You can see that from the smile on Gayle's face. She got a chance to pilot the boat during the river run.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

Wow, I don't think anyone has ever offered me the chance to drive one of the boats. I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

garrech

Postby garrech » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Love it!

BillW

Postby BillW » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Very impressive!

Do you dare walk on that aft deck to tie up the boat, or place the bumpers?
Even barefoot, if there was one grain of sand on your foot......

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:23 am

The aft deck is a little precarious to walk on due to the narrow lower part and the curvature of the surface. The forward deck is fine. I used Epifanes 2 part Poly U and it seems very hard to scratch. No worries for me.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:30 am

I walk all over my decks with deck shoes. Two part PU seems to be the best, really tough! Pettit High build 1-part is a close second.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:03 pm

With the boating season pretty much over, it's time to do some work on the boat. First things on the list were to repair the loose connection on the GPS Speedometer. The Deutsch plug hasn't been as good as it should be and I was losing ground to the unit. This plagued me all summer with intermittent operation. I bent the pins in the speedo slightly in hopes the connections would stay put. So far so good. We'll see next year.

The next thing was to replace the fuel tank sending unit that I mangled last fall when we were syphoning fuel out. Got the syphon hose wrapped around the float and managed to yank it off the unit. I replaced it with a WEMA type with a vertical float instead of the swing arm. While doing that I decided to clean out the tank and repair some loose anchor bracket screws. I added some pads to the tank deck so the brackets fit more flush and will use longer screws. I am also adding some ratchet straps to hold the tank down better. I wasn't totally happy with just the two brackets on a 40 gallon tank. Some of the water on the Tennessee may have helped loosen things. The straps will help keep things in their proper place.

With the tank out of the way, I decided to check the prop hub alignment and tweek the stuffing box packing. That should be good for another season. The rudder port never leaked so I left that alone.

The fuel/water filter will be replaced and the filter in the Fuel Control Cell will be replaced. I will also be replacing the water pump impellor.

I never had any luck getting the Livorsi water flow meter to work right. That's something else to work on. I may pull out the major components and send them to Livorsi to check out.

I needed to pull the seats out to get at the front of the motor, and also to replace two screws that came out that hold the seat bottom to the pan. Not a big deal but I hate it when screws come out and roll around on the floor. I will add a little locktite to keep them in place. With the seats out, I can send them to the upholstery shop and have "RINKER" removed and Glen L embroidered on them. We couldn't find a match to the material, so we decided to remove the affected fabric and replace it with a complimenting blue and do the Glen L logo in white and the TORPEDO in Red/Orange like our shirts,

To wrap things up mechanically, I hope, I will be changing the oil and filter in the engine, transmission oil, and clean the flame arrestor.

I will be painting the boot stripe on this winter. The striping tape just is not staying on. After replacing it three times this year, I'm ready for paint. I may be adding the Lenco trim tabs, too. We'll see.

I'll post pics of all this stuff as I get it done.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:18 am

Who said boating isn't a year-round hobby!
I'd suggest a Globe "run-dry" impeller.
Can't wait to see the seats.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:43 am

For sure a year 'round hobby!!! Mostly what I have is maintenance stuff that I'm doing mainly because of time and not hours. I haven't replaced fuel filters yet, so I will base intervals on what I see. Thanks for the heads up on the run dry impeller, Bob. I just ordered the OEM Crusader kit and it is due in today, so I'll have to remember for next time.

Roberta :D :D :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:46 pm

The Torpedo plans are back in the Glen L catalog.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Roberta

Fantastic News about the Torpedo plans being back :!:

Of coarse, you will lose the distinction of having the only one in the world. :roll: :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Yeah, it was fun while it lasted, but I am thrilled that Glen and Gayle were able to get it back in the catalog. It's such a beautiful design and it will be exciting to see what other builders do to make their Torpedo uniquely theirs. I hope to see many built.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Got a lot of maintenance done today. Sucked the oil out of the crankcase and the transmission and removed the engine filter. No filter in the Velvet Drive. I used one of those gallon size pumpy suckers to draw out the oil. The engine comes out through the dip stick tube and the transmission was sucked out of the dip stick hole. There is a drain on the bottom, but it is hard to reach and I was able to get nearly all of it out through the top.

I had already replaced the water/fuel filter earlier. Now the Fuel Control Cell (FCC) needed a filter change. There is a large copper can that is water cooled that holds the high pressure pump and filter. You need to drain the fuel from it, remove the fuel line and cooler lines, remove a bonding wire, and unplug the low pressure pump. Then the band that holds the can in place is removed and slid off. This reveals the filter and the HP pump. Two O-rings at the top seal it and are replaced with the filter. Once back together, the pump is run in cycles to fill the system back up before starting the engine. We still need to fill the transmission with oil and put the oil filter back on. I left it off to facilitate filling the transmission, since it resides above the transmission.

Then the water pump impeller was replaced. This was very easy. The idler tensioner pulley is sprung back with a wrench to loosen the serpentine belt. With the belt remove, the three bolts holding the pump were removed and the front of the pump pulled out. The impeller is pulled out and the new one is rotated into the cavity to set the blades in the correct orientation. The O-ring on the pump front is replaced and the shaft aligned and the whole thing pops back in. You do have to be sure the three bolt ears are in the correct spot. The bolts are captured by O-rings and one is bolted to an open flange. That bolt had paint on the end, so it was easy to tell where it all went.

Tomorrow we will finish adding fluids, hook up the garden hose, and fire it up to make sure everything is OK. Draining the fuel tank to repair the sending unit sure a few purposes. We dumped 5 gallons back in to prime the fuel system and, if the motor runs, we know that the system will draw from the tank at that low level. Also added some Stabil to put her up for the winter.

Attachments
IMG_6526.JPG
Back together
IMG_6524.JPG
New filter pushed onto HP pump
IMG_6522.JPG
Minnion holding the FCC can
IMG_6521.JPG
FCC showing the HP pump
IMG_6520.JPG
Nice working with the hatch and the bulkhead panel off

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:I knew you got that new bandsaw for a reason.
Looking forward to following your build since you always do a great job of documenting the process.

If you don't mind me asking, what brand/model of bandsaw did you get?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:22 pm

I have a Laguna 14" SUV .

Roberta :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Topped off the fluids today and test ran the Torpedo. Everything working as it should and no leaks. Did find a bolt with a pretty Crusader blue paint job on the head. That did instigate some searching. Found that one of the inspection cover bolts on the bell housing was missing. The bolt was reinstalled with a lock nut. The other bolts were all in place. Never did find the nut that must have fallen off into the bilge. Maybe it will wash out later, :lol:

Next on the list, now that all the maintenance and gigs are addressed, is to set the water line and boot strip using paint. I'm giving up on the striping tape. I need to lower the aft and raise the bow about an inch each. So paint and masking tape for striping is on order. Getting things organized for the seat embroidery, too.

The last thing will be running wiring and installing the switch and the trim tabs. They will keep the bow down at speeds above 40 mph. I want to see how fast she will go!!! :D :D :D

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Power Boats”