Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BillJ

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Postby BillJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:28 am

Hey Roberta,

On my build, I'm debating whether to let the wood show through or paint the hull. Have you been pleased with your painted hull? Have you found the maintenance any easier or harder? Hate that I am so green but I guess we all start out such.

BillJ

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:36 am

The sides and bottom were painted with Epifanes two part poly u. 4 years and still looks good. Deck was finished in Epifanes clear poly u. Also holding up well.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 am

Bill

If you can go with 2-part that is the way to go. I've become sensitive to the solvents and it is difficult for me to use. Maintenance wise, paint is easier. When you ding the hull, you just smooth it and slap some more paint on it. On bright work, particularly if you stain it, you have match the stain, maybe some epoxy, and then UV protect it.

My Tahoe is now over 10 years old. The decks are epoxy and 2-part PU. Absolutely, no problem at all. I walk on them all the time with deck shoes or tennis shoes. No need for socks or bare feet on my boat. Just get in and let's go.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:34 am

Roberta & Bill,

Thanks! I've been studying up as hard as still have the ability to and it's good to get simple straight forward answers. Kinda wanted to wait till the Gathering to ask many of these questions but much too anxious to get it all settled in my head by my August 1 start date.

BillJ

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 am

Roberta,,, I went down to my friends warehouse to pick up my Gentry this morning and look what I found... I think it is a "Ventnor" from the 30's. I took a few pictures and thought you might like to see them.
Attachments
20180719_093411.jpg
20180719_093425.jpg
20180719_093441.jpg

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:35 am

One more
Attachments
20180719_093342.jpg

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Absolutely beautiful!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks, Neel. I think Glen and I both liked Ventnors. That's what attracted me to the Torpedo.

Roberta :D

BillJ

Postby BillJ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Roberta,

In the beginning of your build I noticed your full sized plans were wrinkle and fold free. How did you accomplish this without stretching or shrinking them?

BillJ

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:12 pm

I had a local blueprint shop copy the template sheets, but these template sheets are very large because of the harpin so Glen L rolls these and sends them in a tube. The sheets are about 48 by 96 inches.

Roberta

footer

Postby footer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:26 am

Roberta, your my hero. What a stunning boat. You set the standard pretty high. :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:22 am

Thank you!! But I give Glen the credit for designing another Great boat. I bet there will be more Torpedo's built even more beautiful than mine.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

proto

Postby proto » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi Roberta, Made an account to say I love your Torpedo! after reading most of the thread, I really want to build one myself. Are the plans from Glen fixed since you bought it? When I was reading the thread I know you mentioned that there were some errors.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks, Proto!! Yes, the plans and instructions have been corrected. Changes I made that were necessary to build the boat were forwarded to Gayle and Glen and they have since incorporated them into the design and have republished the plans. There is also an instruction book that can be purchased to additionally help in construction. It basically organizes the forum thread I made during construction and removes much of the chatter and commentary, making the thread easier to follow.

The boat is very much fun and is a real crowd pleaser wherever we show it. If you decide to build it, I recommend the book Gayle put together along with Building with Plywood and Inboard Engine Installation. They are very helpful references. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the construction of this boat.

All the best,

Roberta :D

Return to “Power Boats”