Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 am

Yup!! I have the bracket that came with the straight edge, but I haven't bought the plexi base yet.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Deck beams cleaned up along with some planing and shop cleanup filled up my Wednesday. Today I ripped strips of plywood to be laminated on the white oak motor stringers. Then I glued up Frame 6. I used my lay out board, with all the frames marked up on it, to locate the frame parts. It's nice having that set up so I can use the board as a datum plane to make sure everything is where I want it.

I used small finishing nails to stake the parts on the board. The floor timber was glued and screwed to the bottom frame members first. I pre-drilled two pilot holes for screws for locating the timber. Once glue was applied to both gluing surfaces, the holes were located and the pilot screws set. Additional holes were drilled and screws installed per the plan schedule.

Then I postioned the side members. I used one nail in each to allow me to swing the parts out for glue. Once glued, the other nails were set to secure the parts in place. I had pre-drilled the gussets for nails. I then located the gussets on the frame members and nailed them in place. Holes pre-drilled in the gussets were also used as a guide to drill into the wood member to prevent splitting. Nails used to set the parts on the board will be buried under the gussets, but will be cut off once the frame is removed from the board to add the gussets on the other side and the deck beam.

Roberta :D
Attachments
frame 6 002.jpg
frame 6 001.jpg
frame 6 004.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:43 pm

HEY!!!! Do you know what day it is? Not Hump Day, but laundry day. Not a whole lot done on the boat. but I did remove frame 6 from the lay out table and set up 5 and glued that up. Now I can trim and sand those and install the other gussets and the deck beams.

Busy weekend ahead, but I hope to rip the white oak for the motor stringers and extensions. Next week I will start assembling those. Hopefully I will start the build form by next weekend.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:59 am

Roberta
Those are some big looking frames.
They A much thicker and wider than in my 1966 17.5 Ft Century Resorter.
Jeff
Attachments
100_0717.JPG

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:26 am

They sure are big!!! To give some perspective, the table is 48" X 96". The wood is 7/8" thick (probably thinner than the Century) and the frames will be spaced about 26" apart. Some of the plywood will be trimmed off, making them look a little smaller. We'll be clearing an area in the hangar this weekend to accommodate the building form. I'm still pondering exactly how we will flip it. :shock:

Roberta :D :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Saturday was shopping and getting an eye exam and new glasses for both of us. But today we ripped the motor stringers and extensions and glued them up. I used biskits and epoxy to join the stringers to the extensions. Later these will be laminated full length on both sides with 3/8" Okoume. Tomorrow, after they have cured, I'll run them through the planer to make sure they are good and flat for the lamination. Then I'll scuff them a bit for a good glue joint.

I deviated a little from the plans on how I did the stringers. Instead of using nominal 2X6 and 2X4 material, I used 4/4 white oak cut the full 6" and 4". These will be planed to 7/8" as an assembly and the 9mm Okoume laminated the full length on both sides. The plans call for a 10" X 10" scab on both sides to join the stringers to the extensions. The biskits and the longer laminations will be very strong and the white oak and Okoume laminations will be very stable.

We also finished ripping the last two pieces of Okoume for stringer lams and trimmed up frames 5 and 6. Tomorrow I'll sand them flush and add the rest of the gussets and the deck beams.

Go Packers!!!!

Attachments
motor stringers 001.jpg
motor stringers 002.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:19 pm

At this rate, I guess we can expect to see underway video at G8!

I feel like a snail. You're rapidly getting to the point I have reached after 15 months. I think you started yesterday, right? :lol:

Looking good so far.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks, Carl!! If you were retired like me, you would have more time to build, too!! You'll get it done. Three weeks into the build so far. Hopefully I'll have some parts on the build form by next weekend. I am shooting for G9. :D I have to say I am really liking the ring shank nails. Sorry I did not use them before. Way cheaper than using screws everywhere. No strip outs either!! :lol:

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 am

mrintense wrote:At this rate, I guess we can expect to see underway video at G8!

I feel like a snail. You're rapidly getting to the point I have reached after 15 months. I think you started yesterday, right? :lol:

Looking good so far.
Carl don't feel bad I have 3 years on mine and she has already built two boats and farther along with this one. and I am retire just keep moving forward.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:39 am

When you say hanger what do you mean, plane hanger? I it where you built your Zip
Jeff

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 am

Roberta Hegy wrote:Saturday was shopping and getting an eye exam and new glasses for both of us. But today we ripped the motor stringers and extensions and glued them up. I used biskits and epoxy to join the stringers to the extensions. Later these will be laminated full length on both sides with 3/8" Okoume. Tomorrow, after they have cured, I'll run them through the planer to make sure they are good and flat for the lamination. Then I'll scuff them a bit for a good glue joint.

I deviated a little from the plans on how I did the stringers. Instead of using nominal 2X6 and 2X4 material, I used 4/4 white oak cut the full 6" and 4". These will be planed to 7/8" as an assembly and the 9mm Okoume laminated the full length on both sides. The plans call for a 10" X 10" scab on both sides to join the stringers to the extensions. The biskits and the longer laminations will be very strong and the white oak and Okoume laminations will be very stable.

We also finished ripping the last two pieces of Okoume for stringer lams and trimmed up frames 5 and 6. Tomorrow I'll sand them flush and add the rest of the gussets and the deck beams.

Go Packers!!!!

Packers????? Are you moving house???
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 am

I just putter around between laundry loads and dusting. :lol:

Green Bay Packers, Track!! :lol:

Jeff, We live on a private airstrip and our home has an attached hangar. Three cars street side and one plane runway side. When we built the house I had planned on building a plane or two. After flying my Cherokee for about 20 years, I built a SeaRey and an RV-7A. I gave up flying about 5 years ago and sold the RV. Now I have an 1800 sq. ft. boat factory. :lol: The pics of late are in my 500 sq ft basement shop. We have a large stairwell and double doors leading up to the hangar floor. Once I get the build form underway, you'll see pics from up in the hangar as the Torpedo progresses. The hangar is all insulated and heated so I can work year around. Only problem is the cars get a bit dusty. :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 am

That sounds like a lot of great boat building space. That would be nice to have .
Jeff

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:48 am

It is, but with two boats, two cars and a bunch of other stuff already in there, I'm starting to feel the cramped space most builders are experiencing. I need to have a garage sale!!! :lol:

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 am

Wow nice setup Roberta. I sure could use a barn or shop building of some sort. My garage is filled with airplanes as well. I have an Emeruade I have been working on for 20 years and another Pietenpol and a Duster sailplane. My Wife wants me to start getting rid of stuff. How did you get such nice looking seams on your frames? I have to work mostly outdoors with my table saw etc. Beautiful work you do Roberta.

Craig

Return to “Power Boats”