Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks, Craig!! Lots of sanding!! I use that Rigid Belt/Spindle sander a lot.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

koal

Postby koal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Roberta,

Do you have time for a couple questions from a prospective builder?

What type of plywood have you used for the gussets? Is it marine grade, or will any type suffice for gusset material?

Also, you mentioned that you have used the spiral nails as opposed to screws. Do you know what the hardware package sold by Glen-l contains? Or for that matter, is the hardware package required at the beginning of construction?

Thanks for the thorough build log you're doing!

Brad

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Brad,

I prefer using BS1088 Lloyds certified marine plywood, specifically Okoume. It is easy to work with, has no voids, usually lighter and stronger than other plywoods, and finishes nicely. Whatever wood you decide to use, make sure you are at least using an exterior plywood. Marine plywood is certainly going to be better.

In the past, I opted to use silicon bronze screws in place of the ring shank nails called out in the building fastener schedule. On a larger project, this can get very expensive. Since you need to pre-drill for screws or nails, I found drilling for the nails easier. I would never substitute nails for screws if Glen L called out for screws. I will on occasion use a couple screws to locate and hold parts until they were nailed, or vice-versa.

Glen L's hardware packages usually contain most of the items in the bill of materials list for hardware shown in catalog. You can order just the materials you may need to start with and order other items later, but the kits are pretty good starting points. You will always find that you need more fasteners because of changes you may make along in the building process.

Best of luck in you project, whatever you choose.

Roberta :D

koal

Postby koal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks Roberta!

Brad

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Monday I planed the motor stringers and finished the gussets on Frames 5 and 6. Today I trimmed the gussets and installed the deck beams. Frame 5 goes though the cockpit so it just has short little stubs that the carlings attach to. When Rich came home, we cleared off the shop table and brought the stringers back down to the basement shop (where I do most of the sub-assembling). Tomorrow I'll trim the frame deck beam joints and start laminating the motor stringers.

I will say this boat is way bigger than the Zip and the parts are BIG!!! I'm already wondering about the flip. YIKES!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 pm

:lol: I feel for you but just think my beam is 14' and forty foot long it will be a interesting flip on my part :lol: :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:08 am

How on earth did I miss a headline like "Roberta's Torpedo" ?!! This is GREAT news! Roberta, I'm very excited to follow your progress on this. I have no doubt it is going to be stunning.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:28 am

Rod, you will need a crane for that puppy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Which might make it easier for you!! :lol: :lol: I'll have to get the neighbors and some ingenuity. :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Mike!! I'll give it my best shot.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 pm

I didn't get to cleaning up the deck beams today, but I did laminate the front half of the motor stringers and extensions. The planing really made the surface of the stringers smooth, so I scuffed them up a bit with a 50 grit sanding belt. I marked off the area that needed to be trimmed from the oak core and cut that close so I would have some fudge factor and less to clean up later. I beveled the edges where the aft section of the lamination will fit to the front. Two screws were used in each piece to locate the plywood on the white oak core. I marked locations about every 4-5 inches where I wanted to drill for the ring shank nails. Once the glue was applied to both joining surfaces, the plywood pieces were set on the oak core. With the locating screws in place, I proceeded to drill and nail the plywood down. Once all the nails were in both sides on both stringers, I clamped them to the table top to cure. Tomorrow I will do the aft section. Laundry!!!

Attachments
stringers laminated 001.jpg
stringers laminated 005.jpg
stringers laminated 007.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Here is a close up of the lamination and a shot of frames 5 & 6.

Attachments
stringers laminated 009.jpg
stringers laminated 003.jpg

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Roberta. Is there any place on your plans that show a top view and a side view of this boat, like the Zip does.
I think on the Zip they are called construction profile and the other one said Deck framing and bottom framing.
Jeff

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

The plans came with all the same type of drawings as the Zip did. Just larger.

Roberta :D

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 am

Finished laminating the stringers today. I'm really glad I decided to use the ring shank nails to laminate these parts instead of screws. The white oak is so hard I had trouble setting the silicon bronze screws I used for locating the parts. Several broke off before I reached a torque setting on my driver and necessitated redrilling the hole way bigger than normal to get the screws to go in all the way. Predrilling for the nails was easy and they really went in quickly and solidly. As long as you have a good solid surface to bang them in on, they are great. I would not recommend them in areas where you don't have a solid surface that is springy. Tomorrow I'll do some sanding on them and the frames. Hopefully, over the weekend we'll start setting up the build form

Attachments
stringers laminated 001.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:29 pm

The more I use the nails the better I feel about them. Just don't think that you can pull them. WO is really hard! Your predrill will have to be oversized.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 pm

You definitely have to drill close to size for SB screws in WO. I scrapped the tapered drills and used two sizes of straight drills, one for the threads and one for the body.
Also agree on needing a solid surface for nailing. I tried to use the nails to attach my sub-deck plywood and it just didn't work. I ended up screwing them. I don't think I pre-drilled for the nails.. that would probably make a huge difference.

Looking good.

Return to “Power Boats”