Gentry in Colborne ON.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

slug

Gentry in Colborne ON.

Postby slug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Will be posting progress on my build however not in as much detail as others have already done for the benefit of others like myself. Open to any questions though.
Last winter I got a chance to pick up an 1985 Supra with a "seized" Ford 351 Windsor on a tandem axle trailer. Got it home, checked the engine out and found the starter was fried! Only has 800 hrs and looks good. It's now out getting the heads, block and crank cleaned up.
By the time I parted everything out I didn't need I ended up out about $100.

Started the boat the middle of September and now have the frames installed with the keel lams installed. Working on scarfing up the battens now.Coming along quite well so far.
Using African Mahogany (khaya). Nice lumber and very reasonably priced at $3.90 per BM foot.
Ply is okume.
Doug
Attachments
dscn0711.jpg
Ready for some battens.
dscn0713.jpg
Temporary install to get a look at that lovely rearend!
dscn0712.jpg
The difficult to do transom finally...at least my interpretation of it!

neel thompson

Re: Gentry in Colborne ON.

Postby neel thompson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Doug...Please keep those updates and pictures coming.. Looks great so far....Neel

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Great work... looks strangely familiar. Any questions, just ask the "Gentry Team" are here to help :lol:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

trisailor

Postby trisailor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Trackhappy wrote:Great work... looks strangely familiar. Any questions, just ask the "Gentry Team" are here to help :lol:

ha, ha, ha............but true

slug

Postby slug » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:30 am

Hull is /was ready for veneer about a week before holidays, but got bogged down with some other issues.
Back at it now, but at a reduced rate for a while.
Installed a riser kit on my King 14" bandsaw and have it set up for resawing. Looks like it will work fine. ( Not a Laguna...but $1000 cheaper. Works for me.)

Doug
Attachments
photo016.jpg
Hull ready for veneer.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:07 am

Look's Great, Doug!!! The Laguna's not the only saw capable of good work. And the operator has to have an influence, too!! I wish I was that far along on the Torpedo.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:30 am

Saws don't have to cost a lot to work great. Most of it has to do with the operator and knowing the capabilities of the saw.
I restored all the bottom frames ( all white 1 1/8 oak) and part of the white oak stem and keel on a 1966 Century Resorter with a Ryobi 8" table top band saw and 10" table saw that I got from home depot.
You build looks great. Keep the pics coming
Jeff

slug

Postby slug » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

Have ordered a carbide blade for the bandsaw, as the regular blades won't take the hardness of the African mahogany :(
Another week or so to hurry up and wait.
Also going to look at changing the pulley on the motor to give me a little more power.
Doug

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:24 pm

What width band saw blade did you order.
Jeff

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm

You should check to see what speed that the band saw blade maker recommends for the blade you bought. fyi
Jeff

Loup

Postby Loup » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:24 am

slug wrote:Will be posting progress on my build however not in as much detail as others have already done for the benefit of others like myself. Open to any questions though.
Last winter I got a chance to pick up an 1985 Supra with a "seized" Ford 351 Windsor on a tandem axle trailer. Got it home, checked the engine out and found the starter was fried! Only has 800 hrs and looks good. It's now out getting the heads, block and crank cleaned up.
By the time I parted everything out I didn't need I ended up out about $100.

Started the boat the middle of September and now have the frames installed with the keel lams installed. Working on scarfing up the battens now.Coming along quite well so far.
Using African Mahogany (khaya). Nice lumber and very reasonably priced at $3.90 per BM foot.
Ply is okume.
Doug

slug

Postby slug » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Had some holdups over the holidays (medical issues ) and slowly getting back at it. Still waiting for my carbide saw blade for the bandsaw. Should be in this week.
Got the shaft hole drilled . Used the skeg with a couple of oilite bushings in it to replace the very worn bronze and rubber originals from the donor boat. I had an extension machined for the drill bit, and started with a 1 1/2" bit and worked up to a 2 1/8" to allow clearance for the 2' tube. Once I got in far enough I added the steadying bearing. Held the line pretty well.
The 1/2" drill is a Milwaukee. I swear by these tools. This one is so powerfull it would snap your wrist if you didn't hold on for dear life!
Glad to have that job done.
Posted pics as a reference to how I did this task.
Doug

ps; If anyone wants the drill extension, they can have it for the shipping costs from Cobourg Ontario. No idea how much. It is for a 1" shaft.
Attachments
dscn0737.jpg
Nice neat hole!
dscn0736.jpg
dscn0735.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Hey Doug!! I'd really appreciate that drill extension. Maybe it could become the Round Robin extension for those needing one. The drilling look's great and I like your setup. I take it you used a forstner bit? Where did you get the 2" tube and what is the ID?

Let me know the shipping cost and I will PM you my address and phone #

Thanks,

Roberta :D :D :D :D

slug

Postby slug » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Roberta; Will check shipping costs at UPS on Monday. I'm more than happy to put this unit in to circulation for forum builders. ( At my age I don't plan on using it again)
I plan on making my own tube out of fibreglass and epoxy. The OD will be 2" except in the area of the log ( which came off the donor boat and is 1 3/4").
I'm going to mold it over a flourescent tube ( 1 1/2" od) and after getting a couple coats on will smash the tube inside and remove. Will use packing tape as a release. I'll post the results as they happen ( or not! :shock: :lol: :lol: )

Doug

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Sounds like an interesting process!! :lol: Thanks for the drill extension!!! I will keep it in circulation on the forum. I, too, DO NOT plan on another boat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I started aggressive fairing today and if I survive, I might actually finish this thing. :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D

Return to “Power Boats”