Gentry in Colborne ON.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Gentry in Colborne ON.

Postby neel thompson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 am

Very nice job on the planking Doug... You are the expert on spiling, for sure!!!

slug

Postby slug » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks Neel; I'm really happy with doing it the way it was explained to me useing the strips of ply fastened to the hull. ( I used thin aluminum...easy to erase the marks)
If one is really fussy, a perfect fit (no squeese out ) is available.

Doug

trisailor

Postby trisailor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:08 pm

key word............fussy!

obd

Postby obd » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Beautiful work Doug. I have been studying your post and am still a bit puzzled re the spiling technique. Are you measuring points on both sides of the aluminum measuring stick to define your new plank? I assume that if the measuring stick is attached between the lines, that is the only way to use the stick to then create the dimensions of the new plank. Bob

mike961

Postby mike961 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 am

Hi Doug, I want to thank you for taking the time to show me your Gentry And tug. Both look amazing. Let me know when you do the flip, it was a pleasure chatting with you Mike.

slug

Postby slug » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks Mike; Pleasure meeting you and Margaret.

Bob; I measured from both sides of the 1" aluminum strip using a caliper in metric (easier to get accurate readings) and marked the figure on the aluminum with a fine marker. I wiped it off with thinner after done. Using this method you can get an idea of how long a plank you can get out of your stock also. ( because of the curves you'll end up with in the finished planks...sometimes you can get a full 8 feet, depending on where you are on the hull, and only 4 or 5' at the bow area.) I started with up to 8" planking which I ripped myself with a riser kit and carbide blade on my bandsaw. Some, however, were only 6".

Bottom is now glassed and painted,but will be sanded and redone...not happy with the results (gun took a dribble fit, then the wiping up rag came apart in the paint :evil: )

Doug

obd

Postby obd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks Doug. It makes sense to me now. In Glen Ls Boatbuilder's notebook, they reccomend dividing the chine to sheer distance into the same number of equal portions, not to exceed 6 inches, at each frame. Is this how you generated the lines on your hull? I assume, therefore, the planks get increasingly narrow as they approach the stem. Is there an approximate plankwidth(midhull) you were shooting for? Two last questions, how did you fill your staple holes and what is your opinion of the raptor plastic staples? My computer's resolution is decent and I cannot make out any stapleholes on your pictures. Sorry for all the questions. The pictures of your hull have established a beautiful goal for me to work towards and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks. Bob

slug

Postby slug » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Bob; I divided in 5, so ended up with about 4 1/2" at midsection for each plank. They get narrower at the stern....down to I think about 3"
I decided against the Raptor due to expense for a single purpose gun. I'm not sure what kind of impact the staple gun would have on the wood when it drives them. I know when I tried driving staples thru some plastic tape, it left an impact on the wood.
I will be filling ( I think!) the obvious staple holes with tinted epoxy with a small syringe and some cracks also. Let you know next week how that works out.
doug

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:08 am

I am going to have to learn this technique later in the year. Although I am not planking the sides, I will be planking the transom. I want that to look nice and even, I plan on pouring over this thread and any other information I can find.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

obd

Postby obd » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:23 am

Great info Doug! Thanks. I am looking forward to putting it into practice!

slug

Postby slug » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Finally got the bottom painted :D . My 2 qt. Devillbis gun decided to take a dribble fit on the last coat. I took a clean rag to wipe it off gently, and the rag came apart.
Sooo....after sanding everything over after a couple days, I got it recoated this morning. Looks OK even with out buffing. Not sure I'll bother...it is after all the bottom of a boat!
Now on to the bright sides.

Doug
Attachments
dscn0770.jpg
This is Dupont's Nason Ful-thane 2 part urethane( trying for the old copper anti-fouling look)
dscn0772.jpg
Hard to get a good image with the lighting.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Look's Great, Doug!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Doug

I would wait on the bright sides. It's difficult to keep drips off the side as you do the decks and thru-hulls. It's easier to just wait.

It looks great right now!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Bill; I was considering doing the sides now as there is such a flair at the bow that it would be really difficult to do right side up.

Doug

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:48 pm

looks like a winner :) really like the copper. that always looks beautiful against the mahogany topsides.
do agree with Bill on the finish schedule, but the builder is always right :lol:
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Power Boats”