Gentry in Colborne ON.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: Gentry in Colborne ON.

Postby neel thompson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Very nice Doug... I love the way you did your aft deck.. I found the last four feet of the hull and deck to be the most challenging as the deck mod is not included in the plans. As far as I know, my Gentry is the only one to make it to the Gatherings. It is a very long haul for you, but it would be great to see another Gentry or two in attendance. I think you would find it well worth the drive. Please keep the pics coming now that you are back on the project. Neel

slug

Postby slug » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks for the compliments.
Neel; Have deviated from the plans with the cowl and have a lifting hood with a faux scoop on it to clear the carb. Similar to the hood on a Toyota late model Tacoma truck. Lots of neat woodworking challenges, but happy with the results. Pics later.

Gathering??? Maybe if there was one on the Finger Lakes of New York.......well possibly :lol: :lol:

We're aiming for the ACBS Toronto boat show at Gravenhurst this July, one of the best in North America. Unfortunately ( I think) an unjudged show this year.

Doug

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:46 am

Doug.... Last year I took my boat to the ACBS show in Clayton, NY and had a great time. It was the first weekend in August, and I think I will go back this year. It was a great show and they will judge your boat if you like. Is that a possibility for you? Maybe we could stir up some Glen-L interest for that show. If you do go, it is best to get there Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning. You can leave as early as noon on Sunday, but they like you to stay all day if possible. The hotels are limited, so the earlier you make your decision, the better.... Now, get back to work !!
Attachments
20160805_082818.jpg

slug

Postby slug » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:59 am

My take on windshield brackets for the Gentry. Laminated curves are 9 layers of cherry. 4 coats of varnish so far, awaiting warmer weather for final finish and clear coat. Tempered glass will be here next week. Another major hurdle beat.

Doug
Attachments
DSCN1319_012.JPG
Cherry windshield brackets.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:06 am

Love them.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

slug

Postby slug » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Picked up our glass yesterday. They did a fantastic job on it! Got the job finished this afternoon. Happy with the results.

Doug
Attachments
DSCN1321.JPG
Cowl and windshield all ready to go on.
DSCN1320.JPG
Hood with scoop terminates at cowl.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Very Nice!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:25 am

Doug.... The brackets are unbelievable. NICE JOB.... Do you have drawings and would you mind if someone else used your idea? I only wish I had thought of that before spending hundreds on metal ones!!

slug

Postby slug » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 am

Neel; The cost factor was a major decision maker for me, but I've deviated a little from the deck plans, so that was also a consideration. When you see it all together you''ll get the effect I was hoping for.
I would be more than happy to have anyone copy my efforts. For the brackets, I used cherry. I like working with it as it has a nice grain and sands and finishes well. I tried to copy the metal ones in order to keep them from looking too bulky, clumsy, and "home made".
The centre bracket is 11" tall from the deck (that includes the attached base) and the ends are 8". They are at 6 degrees slope, and they are swept back about 7 1/2 degrees from straight.
The curved supports are made up of 9 strips laminated together with waterproof glue on a plywood form. They were made extra wide in order to allow for misalignment and trimming. I cut the strips on the bandsaw then sanded them between a block mounted on the edge sander. (note here; took me two weeks to recover from sanding off the top of one finger in the process :shock: :lol: ) I pushed the strips through the gap at a consistent "flow" rate to try to keep them uniform.
The edge sander was invaluable in making the brackets....lots of different angles. The grey rubber is a seal that I picked up at my local glass dealer. It''s used in residential installations and fit the 6mm. glass perfectly.
Attachments
DSCN1322.JPG
Form for laminating curved supports. SS strip was used between the cclamps and wood.
DSCN1323.JPG
end brackets were mounted with some inboard tension on the glass.
DSCN1324.JPG
Note some gap inthe middle post due to miscalculation on the deck slope when making the glass pattern.

slug

Postby slug » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:48 am

Correction on the windshield posting; The inside radius on the curved supports is actually 2 1/2", and the diameter is 5". They are curved around to 60 degrees and cut and sanded to fit the two different heights. Measurements are critical here.
Sorry bout that.

Doug

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks Doug... I'm going to file that away for a future project...

North

Postby North » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Phenomenal work on the windshield brackets. However, this type of quality work does not encourage me to do better, as there is No chance of achieving anything like that... it encourage me to just paint everything flat black, have a beer, and just never slow the boat down so anyone can see it up close...

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm

North

A close look at my work would encourage you :!: :roll: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Beautiful brackets sir, many wood brackets look big and clunky to me, yours however are neat and tidy. Very very nice!
Matt B

slug

Postby slug » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:16 am

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. You have reinforced my hesitant decision to go the wood route.

Doug

Return to “Power Boats”