Refinishing 61 Merc.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

cusoak

Refinishing 61 Merc.

Post by cusoak »

This winter one of my projects is going to be to clean up and paint my 45 hp Merc
It is a 1961.
Can anyone tell me what they have done to get their motor ready to repaint.
I went to an automotive paint store and they told me if I brought the motor to them they could scan it some way and get a color match.
Then put the paint into spray cans.
They also told me that they can put a harder in it. But that paint had to be used with in 24 or 36 hours of mixing.
What would be a good cleaner to use first and then what sort of print would you use.
I believe that the color of the paint is White Cloud.
Jeff

fergal butler

Re: Refinishing 61 Merc.

Post by fergal butler »

As far as I know the cloud white is the same formula as VW cashmere, Ford wimbledon and Rustoleum recreational white, the last engine I did I got it vapour blasted this left an etch finish that the etching primer was able to get a good hold on. I find if you sand the aluminium by hand you tend to rub in grease and grime leaving dark marks that the paint won't stick well to. If you do get it blasted try not to touch it with your bear hands as even this can cause oily spots.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

If, as fergal posted, you are taking it down to bare metal, follow his advise, and use an 'etching' primer as your first coat after removing the paint.

If you do not plan on taking it all down to bare metal then a full sanding with about 120 grit and thorough cleaning is a minimum prep.

The alternate colors fergal mentioned would be fine but 'Cloud White' color matched paint is available through "www.nymarine.ca" - from spray cans to 3 part mixes. That site also sells reproduction decals for the engine.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

galamb

Post by galamb »

I have repainted more than a couple motors over the years. The biggest issue, as has been noted here is the contaminants on the current surface.

You may have grease/oil and in some cases, anti-foul that may have been put on the lower unit.

You can have it sand blasted down to the metal (have done that) but find that there is no great advantage in going that route unless the current paint is really bad and has had a bad "touch up" done once or twice on top of the original.

To degrease I usually grab a couple spray cans of engine shampoo from an auto supply place (the stuff for washing car engines - the ones that smell like oranges can make you gag :)) and give it a really good spray down followed by a good scrub with a brush while it's still dripping.

That will still leave some greasy places. The only way to truly get it all is partial dis-assembly - depends on what quality of a restore you want. Anywhere that there is still grease/oil (around the mount bracket etc) the paint will not adhere or it will peel off in sheets when dry.

After a good scrub I usually look for trouble spots as noted above and clean them up with a bit of varsol (or the like - any good degreaser) and a shop rag.

I then give it a sand down with 100/120 grit - not too fine, just enough for the new paint to bite into. With the lower unit I do tend to sand that right down to metal - usually because it's "dinged" up or a chunk or two may be missing from the skeg. If there is it can be patched with "liquid aluminum" (which is like a tube of toothpaste and about the same consistency) or aluminum epoxy stick (both available from an auto supply in the body work area).

Then as noted, use a good etching primer (zinc chromate) on the bare metal. And again as has been mentioned Nymarine has the exact colour match to the OEM paint if you want to go totally original, if not I would head down to West Marine (or the like) and pick up a couple of cans of white marine paint (there is still a number of shades in production - one may make you happy enough). I then overcoat EVERYTHING with automotive clear coat (marine clear coat is the same but costs double).

It is a fair bit of work but you can drastically transform a motor.

Here's a before and after of my 15 horse. Yes, same motor - about 60 hours of work.
61f9_3.jpg
Attachments
Outboard 028.jpg
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

travis24

Post by travis24 »

if you want spray cans here you go www.effenaco.com

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

I am just starting the refinishing of the out side of the motor.
As you can see by the pictures I don't think I need to sand blast the motor. There is not any thing that is dented or dinged up ,for the most part the paint is just dirty and not oily but stained for the lack of a better word.
I think that if I can get that removed with some sort of cleaner and then scuff up the paint and then get that cleaned off good.
Then put on the etching primer I think I should be ok to paint.
The automotive paint store suggested using a spray paint the right color that had a harder in it. What do you think about this.
I want some sort of finish that is easy to keep clean.
Jeff
Attachments
motor open.jpg
motor open.jpg (92.02 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Motor.jpg
Motor.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Merucuy 400.jpg
Merucuy 400.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

If you are not taking it down to bare metal you do NOT need the etching primer. As I understand it the etching primer is for getting a 'bite' on the smooth bare metal. I had my engine in pieces for a full restoration so took it all down to bare metal and needed the primer.

I would use a paint with hardener in it for longevity of the paint and more ability to withstand use.

I am not a painter and don't know if some paints have adverse effects when applied over other paints. I believe the original Cloud White was most likely a lacquer paint.

FYI nymarine.ca ( in North York/Toronto, Ontaio Canada) also sells reproduction decals that are great, they were on my ZIP at G7. I'm not sure if their spray bomb paint has hardener, but you could message then and ask, and perhaps they could tell you if the old and new paints are compatible.

Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck.

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Thanks. That is where I got my decals.
I did not think about the paints not being compatible.
I will ck on that .
Your motor looks great..
What I saw of you boat running in the water looked like you were getting pretty good speed out of you 35hp.
Do you know how fast it will go on smooth water. Also is your prop just a 2 blade original brass one.
Jeff

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

Re props

Started with 10 3/4" diameter - 2 blade - 13 pitch - aluminum : 27/28 MPH @ 4,200 RPM
Went to 10 3/4" diameter -2 blade - 11 pitch - aluminium : 27/28 MPH @ 4,800 RPM
At G7 had 10 " diameter - 3 blade - 10 pitch - brass : 29/30 MPH @ 5,200 RPM

All speeds on fairly calm water, GPS verified, with only me in boat

Will keep 10 3/4-2 blade- 11 pitch as spare but don't need 10 3/4 - 2 blade - 13 pitch if you are interested. Your Merc still behaving?

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

No it is know. When I left the gathering it was still not idling right, but running ok at wide open.
When I got back we used it and I just started it in gear and took off.
I called the guy that had worked on it and talked some more about how it was running. He said that although he was able to clean up the dist cap it was not in the greatest shape. He had a friend that had a good grey or tan color one that we got for nothing. That was nice. He also suggested making new spark plug wires. So I ordered a kit to make new wires.
Went to his place and we replaced the dist cap and put on new wires. He readjusted the timing and carbs and got it to idle. All this done in a barrel. When I left it idled and would rev up. Then when put in the water it did start and idle but could not get into gear with out it stopping. We went out anyway and it ran fine at high speed.
Later on after a stop on the lake for lunch we started it back up and this time it and it would run very well at a low speed, I thought wow and would run at high speed but still no idle.
Not sure what to do now. Thinking maybe I need some one else to help me out.
The only thing I have not changed are the points ( which I have a set of nos now) condenser.
I have been on johnsmerc outboard site and was told that final adjustments need to be done with the boat in the water tied to the dock.
I assume so it can be put into gear.
Any Ideas?
Jeff

Mike Sea

Post by Mike Sea »

I have used the following colors for Cloud White, VW Cashmere white and Ford Wimbledon white and both are very close to Cloud White. I currently have 3 white 4 cylinder Mercs side by side, a 1961 restored with Wimbledon White, 1962 restored with VW Cashmere White and a 1963 with original color in good shape. The original paint is slightly duller that the restored paint but appears to be a closer match to the Wimbledon. The Cashmere is whiter than both the original and Wimbledon. In the future I will use the Wimbledon white for Cloud White.
Please note Ford made two Wimbledon whites one in the 1960's and another in the 1970's and they are not the same, I just found this out today. The Wimbledon color I used was DuPont Centari 4296A but DuPont has replaced Centari paint with Nason paint. Your local DuPont paint store should be able to mix the correct paint using the Centari number as reference.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Just an FYI. Many of the NAPA stores around here custom mix paint colors and put it in spray cans for you right in the store while you wait. Im pretty sure they can put hardener in them as well. Works nicely for those of us without good painters equipment.

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Thanks for all the good info.
Jeff

Return to “Power Boats”